Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: My 1964 Corvair Monza Record Of Improvements
Posted by: 64CorvairMonza ()
Date: December 03, 2019 07:08AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should replace the fuel line from the fire wall to the fuel pump with the stock metal line. The inline fuel filter (like your glass one pictured) is then installed between that steel line and the under car line at the junction in the left rear wheel well. This keeps rubber fuel parts from heat radiated off the engine. Note GM did not put ANY rubber in the fuel system in the Corvair engine compartment. They did that for a reason.winking smiley
>
> Oh, and loose that Mustang horn button!eye popping smiley

I agree about the fuel lines and yes I agree that Falcon horn button needs to go! Well? Isn't that was the very first Mustangs were called back in the early 60's?? I got stuck with it cause I bought it on ebay and I didn't want to hurt the kid's feelings and cause maybe some sort of shipment coming to me that had a pre-accident by the time it got in my hands....... YES, Seth Emerson/aka SethRacer has me covered in that area!!

Hmmmmmm, been a long time since I took a small rock like disc to see how many times I can get it to skip across the water when I was younger...grinning smiley Here's what the new disc/button is.

And here's where it came from on ebay..

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 03, 2019 07:39AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> I like the red engine compartment.

Me too! That's why I'm doing the interior to match. Black seats with red carpet and red kick boards w/ black vents should look really nice! I also have a choice of colors to do the headliner in... what about silver or red? The only custom changes I will do is adding a PAIR of mirrors to the doors instead of just one, custom steering wheel and carpet. I want basically the outside of the car to be original even if I add non original things that didn't come with it like a cool rack to the rear lid but it will be Corvair related options that were available then. Soon it will get a new Ember Red paint job outside only. I've seen cars with red seats and black carper and vise versa and I think the red and black combo are often toyed with when it comes to interior color mixtures. And yes, black carpet mats..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 07:41AM by 64CorvairMonza.

Date: December 03, 2019 08:14AM

OH YEH! Before I forget again>> What is the difference between 1965 and 1965 Corvair carpets??? I see them grouped as 1960 to 1964... Then 1965 to 1969!! I understand 2 doors to 4 door length differences, but I didn't know there was a difference between a 1964, 1965 , etc in 2 door models or even the convertible models! It get's so frustrating while numbers and descriptions seem to be misleading when you think you know the facts. Thanks for your answers in advance!!! I wish we had a page strictly for interchangeability to. Can't be that hard... Nader fixed that for us to keep it short.... 1960 to 1969......

Date: December 03, 2019 08:48AM

Found this interesting. I would install it under the carpet to protect the floor and use as a sound deadener.

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 03, 2019 09:00AM

Floor pan is different between earlies (1960 to 1964) and lates (1965 to 1969).

Also between body styles. Rocker protrudes into floor pan on both early and late convertibles, because of more steel sections used to compensate for the missing roof.

Yes, J.O., I was WRONG, the turbo does have a section of rubber fuel line in the engine compartment for the return line......grumble....oh well, probably not the last time I will be wrong...grinning smiley

Just use the Clark's catalog for most of these interchange questions. Not infallible, but pretty good, as they have been refining it since 1976.

Also a copy of the "Junkyard Primer". Again, not infallible, but many printings later most errors have gone away.

So, essential literature for your library:

1. Shop manual, which for 1964 car is the 1961 Shop manual and the 1964 Supplement.

2. Clark's Catalog

3. Junkyard Primer

4. Bob Helt's books on carburetors (H or YH as needed) if you are going to rebuild them yourself.

5. Seth's reissue of Performance Corvairs, aka How To Hot Rod Your Corvair.

Nice to add, the other books by Bob Helt.

Skip over the Haynes manuals, etc that cover Corvairs. Not specific enough.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: December 03, 2019 09:07AM

Also the Corsa Technical Guide is a nice reference document.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: December 03, 2019 09:31AM

64CorvairMonza Wrote:
> OH YEH! Before I forget again>> What is the difference between 1965 and 1965 Corvair carpets??? I see them grouped as 1960 to 1964... Then 1965 to 1969!! I understand 2 doors to 4 door length differences, but I didn't know there was a difference between a 1964, 1965 , etc in 2 door models or even the convertible models! It get's so frustrating while numbers and descriptions seem to be misleading when you think you know the facts. Thanks for your answers in advance!!! I wish we had a page strictly for interchangeability to. Can't be that hard... Nader fixed that for us to keep it short.... 1960 to 1969......

Hahahaha, I'm surprised nobody said "NOTHING, no difference between a 1965 and 1965 carpet" LOL!!!!! EDIT expired before I found that.

Date: December 03, 2019 09:36AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> Floor pan is different between earlies (1960 to 1964) and lates (1965 to 1969).
>
> Also between body styles. Rocker protrudes into floor pan on both early and late convertibles, because of more steel sections used to compensate for the missing roof.
>
> Yes, J.O., I was WRONG, the turbo does have a section of rubber fuel line in the engine compartment for the return line......grumble....oh well, probably not the last time I will be wrong...grinning smiley
>
> Just use the Clark's catalog for most of these interchange questions. Not infallible, but pretty good, as they have been refining it since 1976.
>
> Also a copy of the "Junkyard Primer". Again, not infallible, but many printings later most errors have gone away.
>
> So, essential literature for your library:
>
> 1. Shop manual, which for 1964 car is the 1961 Shop manual and the 1964 Supplement.
>
> 2. Clark's Catalog
>
> 3. Junkyard Primer
>
> 4. Bob Helt's books on carburetors (H or YH as needed) if you are going to rebuild them yourself.
>
> 5. Seth's reissue of Performance Corvairs, aka How To Hot Rod Your Corvair.
>
> Nice to add, the other books by Bob Helt.
>
> Skip over the Haynes manuals, etc that cover Corvairs. Not specific enough.

That reminds me! I forgot all about my huge old Chilton's manual. I'll have a look in that just for kicks. Thanks for all the great tips.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 03, 2019 12:02PM

Thanks, Al, yes the Corsa Technical guide is also important.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 03, 2019 12:39PM

64CorvairMonza Wrote:
> Frank DuVal Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
roof.
> >
> > Yes, J.O., I was WRONG, the turbo does have a section of rubber fuel line in the engine compartment for the return line......grumble....oh well, probably not the last time I will be wrong...grinning smiley

Your almost always right Frank, the reason I thought of it so fast is that that mine started leaking this summer, and it wasn't a real slow leak. I smelled gas and went looking for it. One more thing for turbo guys to keep an eye on or replace occasionally.

>

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: December 07, 2019 05:30AM

I think the clear part of that gas filter is glass. If it is I would not use it. I have heard of a couple of fires in street rods when something was dropped on the filter while the engine was running.

Ed
Hamilton, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: December 07, 2019 09:37AM

The black trunk paint and the body color engine compartment would suggest that it is a Canadian car. Does it have a KM readout on the speedo?

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.