Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Door repair: making 1 good door from 2
Posted by: TGriffin ()
Date: December 01, 2019 12:08PM

Hello everyone,

So I have started my next part of body repair on my 64 'vert. This winter I want to tackle my driver's door. The door that was on the car is not original (the blue one). It is multiple rust holes, a very large dent that has some bondo flaking off, and appears to have been from a car that was wrecked as well. At the front door edge there is some sort of impact damage, and at the back side there is an impact mark that pushed in the convertible wedge stop area.

I picked up a donor door from the Corvair Ranch, but because it is hard to find a driver's convertible door in PA, the only thing they had at the ranch in good shape is this door that has the inner panel removed.

I have done some looking into this dilemnma, and I plan to use the inner panel of my original door and graft it with the outer section of the donor door. Rather than try and mess with the actual door skin crimp area I will cut in the door jam area and graft them together there. I think this should make it easier to blend the repairs, and also prevent any nightmares from warpage and trying to take the skin off the donor door without damaging it.

Attached are some pictures of my doors. I have a question I will ask in the next post.

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Door repair: making 1 good door from 2
Date: December 01, 2019 12:17PM

OK, so here is my current question: What is this squareish plate on the inside of the door for. It appears to have no use in my old door. Nothing was screwed into it. No window mechanism used it as a stop, and the mirror was on the other side of it, but nothing was being held back from the mirror base by this piece of metal.

I think it may be for a remote operated mirror, and the plate part is just to help keep the remote cable from interfering with the window mechanism?

Anyway, since my car doesn't have a remote mirror and did not use that, I am tempted to leave it out as it will much simplify my grafting plans.

What you all think?

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Attachments:
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 01, 2019 06:13PM

You sound like you don't want to reskin the door. Splicing in the middle of the jam will also be a lot of work. I would try to remove the skin off of the old door. I have not done it myself but from what I've seen it doesn't look that bad. If it doesn't work out you have not hurt anything from your original plan. If it does work I think that you will have a better repair because it will be done the same way as the factory did it.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 01, 2019 08:09PM

You can take a 2 door door and make a convertible door from it (I am talking earlies here, since lates have no difference between 2 door and convertible doors). Just requires drilling out some spot welds and transferring ALL the innards and accessory parts.

Not that a rust free 2 door door can be found in Pennsylvania either!grinning smiley

I think that is the mirror reinforcement. Does it go around the vent window vertical brace? i.e. the back of the vent window? If so, maybe it is to reinforce around the cut out for the vent window vertical brace. Either way, if it was not needed, GM would have saved the money and not installed it!eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: December 02, 2019 05:46AM

Thanks for the input. Rex, I have been hesitant on re-skinning the door, because I have heard that undoing and re-using a skin is not often successful. I think that as I try to pry the existing skin "crimp" away, the outside edge would bend away from the door as well, causing many wavy dents along the edge I would have to deal with.

Another thought is to slice the skin at the door gap...

Or to use the door to cut patches out and just repair the existing door that I have... That would probably be a large patch covering the entire lower portion of the door, and possibly some edge repair further up where the door impacted something from the wrecked car it came from.

To Frank, I'm pretty sure my mirror is not original, so you may be correct that that metal 'tab' is for the Corvair mirror. There are 3 holes in my door for the mirror, but my mirror used only the center hole and had what looks like a taillight lens screw holding it in place by only 2 thread depths! I think a correct mirror has a base that screws in with a set screw to attach the mirror post to the base. Obviously mine is not like that at all.

I'll do some more looking into how an original mirror is mounted, and perhaps I will need that 'tab' when using a correct mirror. Interestingly, the donor door has no holes at all for a mirror! Likewise, the donor does not have the holes for the rear window guide track, or the wedge strips. I'm still pretty sure it is from a 'vert since I trust Jeff at the Ranch knows his stuff, and I can't see where the window frame would have been cut off if it was from a coupe...

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 02, 2019 09:57AM

Somewhere I saw a tool for taking off a door skin, I think it might have been Eastwood?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: December 04, 2019 08:16AM

So I've made the decision that I'm going to just patch my existing door (blue one) with patches cut out of the red donor door.

After looking at the two doors and weighing my options, I soon realized that there are just too many subtle but essential differences between the two. I do believe the donor door is in fact from a coupe, but with the top portion cut off, and with that difference there are also differences in the oval holes that the 'fuzzies' window weatherstips attach as well as not having the mirror reinforcement, nor the proper holes for the back side window track...

So since the donor door is already partially cut up and of limited value to anybody, I don't feel bad cutting out the pieces I need to patch into my door. I also have got better at welding and blending in patches after doing both rear quarter sections that I should have minimal or no warpage.

(My first rear quarter patch was really AWFUL; I probably have 3/4" bondo in some places along the belt line after that first one... I learned from that and my second quarter patch went much better and I have nicer finished product on the second side, so from my experience so far, I'm not too worried about patching the door and it should turn out alright!)

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.