Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Lighter wire short
Posted by: aj_ed ()
Date: November 30, 2019 02:03PM

Hi all, Thanksgiving great, electrics not so good. I was having too much fuel pressure for my Webers, so I installed a 2.8 PSI pump at the gas tank.
Looking for a power source,I pulled the lighter wire off, and it slipped out of my hand, and shorted. Checked fuses, and none blown.Took a resistance from wire to ground, Dead short. New harnesses, and was running great before this. No power anywhere accept starter, but won't crank. Any ideas?

Ed
65 Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lighter wire short
Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: November 30, 2019 02:49PM

--assuming it's a 65 car, go to page 12-25 in the chassis shop manual;the lighter wire is NOT fused,but comes from the battery (via the Ign switch, which probably burned up) It's either your battery or the ignition sw 10red (or 10red)wire

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 30, 2019 03:49PM

Check the 10 gage red wire going to the red terminal on the subframe from the battery.

Or the pins in the main connectors at engine harness and fuse box harness

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 03:51PM by Lane66m.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 30, 2019 04:08PM

Tom - good description, but I recall the cigarette lighter had a 14 gauge wire that was spliced to the big 10 gauge wire in the harness under the dash. So it is not run through the ignition switch and is HOT as long as the battery is connected. Assuming this is a 1965 or 66 model year

Note the ignition switch, fuse box supply wire, headlamp switch, and horn are also spliced to the big 10 gauge red wire in the harness. Sorry but I can't tell you where in the harness as the splice locations varied depending on assembler (based on the harness I've pulled apart).

Now --- I'll bet that either the fusible link from the batter opened (if you have the fusible wire from the battery cable to the infamous red terminal on the engine bay rail), OR the main power wire in the engine to tunnel harness connector over heated and melted the connector and it came apart (I've seen that a few times.).

Good luck aj_ed and check the simple stuff before pulling the harness apart since the harness splices are robust so they fail last.

BTW - This is why I fuse the main supply wire AND the cigarette lighter.

Date: November 30, 2019 04:36PM

Ed:

Here is yourlighter diagram. Check wire to the solder joint to see if it melted. Don't unwrap. Just feel along the harness to see if harness became brittle or damaged at joint. Then go for items I mentioned previously.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Re: Lighter wire short Problem corrected
Posted by: aj_ed ()
Date: December 01, 2019 11:18AM

Problem corrected. I just got a chance to find the short in my harness,following it to each harness connection. Underbody plug connect to dash at top of floorboard
was partially separated (one side of lock clip). I just finished fusing this lighter wire for peace of mind.
Thanks for the replys to this question. As for me,I will use more detective work before asking for help. One thing I did learn, was fusing "HOT" wires with key off.
Thanks, Ed
1965 Corsa

Date: December 01, 2019 12:53PM

Very glad it was a simple fix. Glad you brought it up for us to discuss and help out. I am always glad to share info that helps out.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 01, 2019 03:21PM

"One thing I did learn, was fusing "HOT" wires with key off."
Except in this case the power isn't switched is it?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Re: Lighter wire short Problem corrected
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 01, 2019 06:39PM

aj_ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Problem corrected. I just got a chance to find the short in my harness,following it to each harness connection. Underbody plug connect to dash at top of floorboard
> was partially separated (one side of lock clip). I just finished fusing this lighter wire for peace of mind.
> Thanks for the replys to this question. As for me,I will use more detective work before asking for help. One thing I did learn, was fusing "HOT" wires with key off.
> Thanks, Ed
> 1965 Corsa

Good for you. I find when installing a new harness I use a little dielectric grease on the contacts and shell (use a small hobby paint brush). The connectors go together much easier and it keeps the contacts from oxidizing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.