Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Replacement body tag
Posted by: Ron in Indy ()
Date: November 30, 2019 01:21PM

My mostly original '63 Spyder's body tag has been missing since I've owned the car (>10 years) I have all of the info from the previous owner, and I thought it would be nice to recreate the tag. I understand that this is generally not done due to concerns about ownership and resale but for me at least, it would be a simple reproduction of the missing tag. Has anyone ever done this, and if so, where did they find the template?
Thanks,
Ron in Indy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacement body tag
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 30, 2019 01:48PM

I did a quickie search and came up with the following vendor's website.
I know nothing about them but it appears they do offer what you are looking for.
I cut and pasted three specific sections that I think apply to your inquiry.

[www.trimtags.com]

[www.trimtags.com]

About Us
Trim Tags, Inc. started in 1987, in the process of running a restoration shop for Corvettes and muscle cars. Our customers who were doing complete restorations were requesting color changes for paint, interior and convertible/vinyl tops. Also, many customers wanted to add options, switch from bench seat to bucket seats, etc.

They were building the cars to their personal tastes. However, by requesting these changes the car was no longer "numbers matching." Some customers didn't care, but most did!

Our first attempt to solve the "numbers matching" dilema was to contact junk yards and other parts restoration shops looking for original trim tags with the color and option changes requested by our customers. This was like looking for a "needle in a haystack". We'd locate trim tags with correct colors, but the build dates and body sequence numbers would be incorrect and vice versa.

Needless to say the process was lengthy, costly, and very time consuming. Finally, we decided on just reproducing the tags and stamping them to our customer's specifications.

The initial process of laser cutting the plates and recreating the alpha/numerics took several months before we got it right. Now, our trim tag customers can restore their cars to their specifications and still have "numbers matching" classic/muscle cars.

Note: We don't have a problem changing paint codes, trim codes, convertible/vinyl top color codes, or option codes. We will not change "STYLE" numbers (i.e. convert Tempests into GTO's, Cutlass' into 442's, six cylinder cars into eight cylinder cars).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trim Tag Disclaimer Please be advised that the TRIM TAG that you are ordering is for the sole purpose of complementing the restoration of your car. This tag is NOT to be used to falsify or mislead the true identity of your car in any way. Your signature below verifies the fact that you totally understand and will comply with the statement you have just read.
Make & Year of car__________________________________________
Vehicle Identification Number__________________________________ Signature_________________________________Date______________
Print your name______________________________________________
Telephone Number w/area code_________________________________ Address____________________________________________________ City______________________State_________ Zip Code____________
Complete and mail with your order. Please include a copy of your title or registration clearly showing the VIN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS
The disclaimer form must be completed by all customers and submitted with every order. Please mail it in with your order._
If you are ordering a G.M Trim Tag, and you have a TRIM TAG, and are merely changing a code, adding or deleting an option(s) or just replacing a damaged tag you will need to make a pencil tracing or take a close-up photo of the current Trim Tag. If you are sending a pencil tracing please reprint all the current stamped data next to the tracing. This procedure will ensure that the NEW Trim Tag will be stamped precisely like your original tag. Indicate what you wish to change, add or delete. If you know the correct codes and/or sequences write them down. If not just tell us what you want to have changed. You will need to write down the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Don't forget to give us your mailing address and a phone number, in case we have questions. Mail order to us along with your payment (personal checks are OK). We can also accept credit card payments.

If you are ordering a G.M Trim Tag and you DO NOT have a TRIM TAG, you will need to send us the following information:
1. A copy of your title or registration, which clearly shows the V.I.N and you as the owner.
2. Paint color name or code.
3. Trim (interior) color, bench or bucket, vinyl or leather; if a Camaro - Standard, Custom or Houndstooth.
4. Top color; if a convertible top or a vinyl top.
5. List of options or accessories; depending on the make, year, model and plant of manufacture options may or may not need to be coded. Examples of options are: Tinted windshield, all tinted glass, engine displacement and horsepower, transmission type (4-speed or automatic), center console, A/C, padded dash, bumper guards, rear antenna, rear speaker, rear defogger, AM/FM-8 Track, power windows/seats/antenna, fold-down rear seat, Z-28 package, SS package, etc.

If you know the correct codes and/or sequences write them down and we will verify them. Mail your order to us along with your payment (personal checks are OK). We can also accept credit card payments. Check our price list here. Don't forget your mailing address and a phone number, in case we have questions.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 01:53PM by Caraholic4life.

Date: November 30, 2019 01:57PM

Thanks. That looks promising.
I'll reach out to them and see what they say.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: December 01, 2019 05:31AM

Ron,

I can help you create the template to send them with accurate calculated date code and body number along with the layout and options verification.

I assume since you are in Indy, your car is a Willow Run build? What are the last 6 digits of your VIN?

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: December 01, 2019 05:54AM

I had this company make me one when my body shop damaged my original one. The company will allow you to change color of car, color of interior, and options, but they will not let you change the model of the car. You can add or delete options to match your car. I left mine original to the car. The finished product was top notch.

Roger Fedor
Whitehall, PA
1963 Spyder Coupe, currently undergoing re-restoration

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: December 01, 2019 06:10AM

When I was restoring my 1964 Stingray coupe I searched for months for a correct "numbers matching" engine block core to start with. The car had come with a replacement 350 and I wanted a small journal 327 like it had when built. After purchasing several 327's for parts a friend in the Corvette restoration trade offered to "fix" one of my blocks so it was "numbers matching". He even offered to do it as a favor since we were buds. Thanks but no thanks. Just didn't sit right with me. Same feeling with tailoring your Fisher Body tag with the paint and options that you want. Restoring should be bringing a car back to the way it was built. Adding options or changing to a more popular color just to bring more $$$ when you run your finished product down the lane at a Big Bux auction is wrong. I think.

Date: December 01, 2019 06:39AM

Hi Rick,
Actually, I am now in FL (moved a couple months ago) but decided to still use the same screen name. The last 6 digits in the vin are 273664. It is in fact a WR car. Here's what I got from the last owner.
style 63-0967
trim 2-712
acc F2CD30
body WR33940
paint 922-7
Thanks for your help,
Ron in FLORIDA!

PA Some of the west coast guys may remember Ron Funderburg. This was one of his cars that I got from his daughter. He was a meticulous record keeper, and I have all the docs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 09:05AM by MattNall.

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: December 01, 2019 09:36AM

Ahh...Glad you have the tag info. There is a piece missing and a typo...(Date code and the O should be a C.)

Your tag should be like the JPEG below but with this info.

06A
STYLE 63-967 BODY WR 33940
TRIM 2-712 PAINT 922-7
ACC F2CD3C

First Group

F = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only

2 = Second Group
C = RPO B70 Padded dash
D = RPO C06 Powertop (Manual top standard, no indicator)

3 = Third Group
C = RPO L87 Turbocharged Spyder option

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 09:45AM by ral1963.

Attachments:
Date: December 01, 2019 10:08AM

Rick,
Yes, all of that info is consistent with the car.
I just have some hand-written notes, so I probably misread the C-O.
I'll call the company that Caraholic4life found tomorrow and see what they can offer.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
Regards,
Ron in Indy

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: December 05, 2019 08:01AM

Ron,
Since the company didn't have Corvairs listed for cars they service, I sent them an e-mail last Friday asking if they would build a tag for mine. No answer yet, so please let me know their answer if you get through.

Pete,
I'm not quite old enough to have been able to buy a new Corvair with the features I would have wanted. I'm a confessed options whore, chasing down and paying much more than I should to dress up my '66 Monza, and I'm not close to having it finished. The car will never leave my ownership, so no intent to deceive anyone. I will endeavor to make the car look as it would have as it left the factory, had I been there back when it was made, showing the dress up items I would have specified. We'll have to agree to disagree

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: December 05, 2019 10:49AM

Hi Scott,
I exchanged a few emails with Joe Papier at trimtags.com. He explained that OSHAWA cars used a different blank (which he doesn't have) but he could do a Willow Run tag for my car. The price is $235 including the correct rivets, so I am considering if it is worth it for me to order one or not. For what its worth, the folks at trimtags are very responsive and I'm confident that they would do a nice job.
Regards,
Ron in Indy

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: December 05, 2019 11:01AM

I thought it was indicated that the car was built at Warren not Oshawa. If it was an Oshawa car the plate is different. In Canada, didn't the cars get painted with different paint, not lacquer. A photo of a '66 Oshawa tag is provided.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible

Attachments:
Date: December 05, 2019 12:54PM

Yes, just a heads up to anyone who might want to use their service.
My understanding is that they should be able to do any non-Oshawa corvair body tags.

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: December 05, 2019 06:26PM

Thanks very much for your answer, Ron. My car was built in California (Van Nuys, L.A., never know which to say), but going by your info, I'll start getting my paperwork ready.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.