Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Starter & random unconnected wires
Posted by: brentg ()
Date: November 30, 2019 11:15AM

Hi-

Starter seems to have died. Makes a clicking sound when I turn the key.
The purple wire on the right in the pic brushed against it. I am not sure where the purple and yellow wires are supposed to go to. Does anyone out there now?

Also the starter (solenoid?) has a red and black wire connected , but then the third wire on top (maybe hard to see in pic) is cut and doesn't go anywhere.

The starter worked until now...should that third wire connect somewhere?

Looks like I'll have to buy a new starter, but do I need just the solenoid?

OK thanks!
1969 Sedan

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starter & random unconnected wires
Posted by: Big Dave ()
Date: November 30, 2019 11:25AM

The yellow and purple are part of the original harness. The red and other one were put in to replace them for some reason. One wire comes from the ignition switch to energize the solenoid. The other goes to the coil bypassing the resistor wire giving the coil full 12v while cranking.

Dave A.

62 Greenbrier "Shaggy" Daily Driver
63 Greenbrier "Velma" (SOLD!)
63 Rampside Future Project
63 Monza Vert
64 Monza Vert, Son's Project / Daily Driver

Puyallup, WA

Posted by: brentg ()
Date: November 30, 2019 11:30AM

SO the third wire on the starter doesn't need to be connected?
from what I described, is the starter dead?

Thanks!

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: November 30, 2019 12:34PM

The purple wire goes to the 'S' terminal and the yellow to the 'R' terminal on solenoid. If you put power to that red wire [if it is on the 'S' terminal] it should crank engine over. Someone has rigged your wiring for some reason.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 30, 2019 12:52PM

As other said - the purple and yellow wires were original and go from the solenoid to a connector in the engine compartment that plugs into the main engine harness.

It's obvious someone has gotten "creative" with the wiring so it's difficult to determine what the problem is.

If you aren't electrically inclined (most are not) then find someone who is.

Most clubs have at least one "electrical" person.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 30, 2019 01:21PM

What is this 3rd wire you are talking about?
The solenoid has 4 terminals one is for the big battery positive cable, the one opposite it connects to a tab that goes into the starter and the other 2 were described above - the S and R terminals.
Since the solenoid clicks your wiring is at least connected. You could have a bad connection at the battery terminals ***which is the most common.***
It could also be a bad solenoid or a bad starter. The old backyard trick is to jump across the 2 large terminals (not the S or R). If the starter spins at least the starter motor works. Then jump the large battery cable to the S terminal. If the engine cranks then you have a wiring problem. Not disconnected wires in your case but too much resistance in the circuit somewhere to actually crank the engine.
Make sure the car is supported well and in neutral when you try these tests.
If you end up needing a solenoid do some research and buy a good one. The common ones aren't worth installing. I go to starter rebuild places and ask for the "heavy duty" solenoid. They usually have copper coated studs instead of cad plated (silver).

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 30, 2019 04:02PM

Probably got a external ford solenoid somewhere. And more than likely 12 volts to coil when running. Have to see harness connection by main connector in engine compartment.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 30, 2019 04:57PM

Give us a pic from above! That's where the relay is most likely. I'd say they've abandoned the Purple solenoid] and Yellow [ resistor wire bypass].

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 30, 2019 05:10PM

That's was my first thought also but don't they usually run a short jumper between the S terminal and battery cable when using a Ford solenoid?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 30, 2019 05:23PM

Yep. Though they could have used the purple wire instead of the red wire and installed a jumper up top on the purple wire to the relay. Disconnecting the connector would eliminate the yellow wire and gain access to the purple connection. Next starter access they could remove yellow wire and cut off terminal. They made it more difficult of an installation.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 05:25PM by Lane66m.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.