Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Removing rear seat?
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: November 29, 2019 10:48PM

It has been a long time since I removed the rear seat from a late model Monza.

Need help recalling how to remove the rear seat cushion. Seem to recall some kind of hook holding the rear lower cushion in place.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing rear seat?
Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: November 29, 2019 11:02PM

Should just need to be shoved back to clear the hook and lift. Might need to push down and slide back, then lift.
Seat back is either two bolts or two metal tabs folded over onto part of the frame.
Then lift straigh up to clear the hooks at the top of the seat back.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Date: November 30, 2019 02:04AM

Two points on each side - lower edge "clips" into a hook in the raised chassis pan
Push the lowest middle of each side back a couple inches and lift the lower edge.
When both are released then the seat will lift.

Seat back of the Monza is folding and will unbolt from the floor.
Heavy!! Easiest to remove with the front seats out of the way.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 30, 2019 01:11PM

Depends on the year - the latch design was changed halfway through the '67 model year. But they all generally come out the same way. But I warn you. I've destroyed seat cushions in a valiant effort to pry bar and chain hoist them out of cars. tongue sticking out smiley

With the second design, you first get Godzilla eye popping smiley to cram the cushion rearward, until it's halfway into the engine compartment.angry smiley Then without losing an inch, also lift up on it hot smiley. About this time, it should, with an act of Congress, pop loose on both sides and shove itself forward as you relax rearward pressure on it. Just don't let it drop down and fall back into its latch. drinking smiley The first design is slightly easier to extract, but the motion is the same.

Now you know why every car I have and have ever had has always had the rear seat cushion merely lying there, and not clipped into its factory mounts.angry smiley

-Mark

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: November 30, 2019 01:50PM

Thanks to all who replied. As I recall, it was a Pain when I last did it some 45 years ago. If I can not get it easily - then I will contract it to the upholstrey shop.

Living in San Diego, I have the opportunity to use some very well qualified shops for this kind of work just south of the border. Labor rates are lower and at a number of shops, quality is excellent.

Anita's son spent over $2K on the interior of his 64 Malibu SS on this side of the border. Likely would have been half that South of the border.

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: November 30, 2019 05:13PM

I find it helps to tilt the backrest forward a little bit before pushing the bottom cushion backwards. By providing the extra clearance it seems to take less force to push the bottom cushion.

Wade

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: December 01, 2019 10:17AM

Good information PGVair! I have crammed my self in and use my knees to push the seat back then lift up.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: December 01, 2019 03:58PM

I do the same when re-installing the bottom cushion.

Wade

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 01, 2019 04:22PM

On my '67 there were two loops on the seat and two corresponding hooks on the floor.
I found it easiest to lift the seat slightly so I could see what I was doing, place a good-sized blade screwdriver on the bottom of the loop and push mostly there while also pushing on the seat itself.

Once clear of the hook, the seat lifts up "easily".

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.