Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Stance problem
Posted by: lowandslow ()
Date: November 27, 2019 09:48AM

My '63 has always had a tilt to the drivers side of about 3/4 inch as measured at the top of the fender well openings. I replaced the tired rear springs several years ago to correct the rear wheel camber and 2 years ago, replaced the left side front spring only in an attempt to correct the tilt and left the original right front spring in place. However, the car still sags to the driver's side 3/4 inch (somewhat less at the rear). So I'm wondering if cutting the right front coil is my only option or if there is some other way to bring the car to a level stance. Any suggestions?

Patrick McGhee
1963 Spyder convertible
Weatherford, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stance problem
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 27, 2019 09:56AM

Seems silly, but have you replaced the shocks? My 1966 was droopy on the driver's rear until I replaced all four shocks with some Clark's gas shocks.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: November 27, 2019 10:11AM

I had the same problem once on a LM passenger side, about 1/2", new springs did not correct. I put a 3/16" steel shim between cross-member and body to correct.
If that's an option for you be mindful more than 3/16" shim is likely to require longer bolts.

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: November 27, 2019 10:11AM

why not try swapping the coils side to side first?

does front camber look the same side to side?

id jack up the low corner and then remeasure the ride height at all 4 corners.

if it evens out front and rear, id measure between the upper and lower front spring seats. see if there is a difference there. if you find that there is, you might have a bent crossmember.

id also inspects the crossmember mounting position to see if it has shifted, causing weight to bias to one side. a quick check is to measure between the fender lip and the wheel/tire. however those results can be deceiving since past bodywork can skew those results. its best to measure with plumb bobs on the body and suspension mounting points.

id also inspect the condition of all suspension bushings and balljoints. as well as make sure the crossshafts for the uca are both installed the correct way. if memory serves me correct corvair crossshafts are offset and can be installed upside down affecting the UCA angle which will have some (minot) effect on ride height.

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California
1960 Monza 900

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: November 27, 2019 10:23AM

Fisher made a lot, if not all, LM bodies crooked. Left front to right rear is almost always out of balance. Put one on jack stands and you can see that you need some shims to get it balanced. 1960's manufacturing. Jigs were not what they are today.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 27, 2019 10:40AM

BobV66Vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fisher made a lot, if not all, LM bodies crooked. Left front to right rear is almost always out of balance. Put one on jack stands and you can see that you need some shims to get it balanced. 1960's manufacturing. Jigs were not what they are today.

True -- It seems like everyone is slightly different when you do body work on them. With old cars part of the visual attractiveness is the mild asymmetry - at least that what the "experts" say about hand built cars.

Date: November 27, 2019 08:49PM

All shocks have been replaced. At sometime in the past I think the car has taken a hit on the left front as the lower half of the left front fender from just below the belt line has been replaced. If i were to cut the coil on the right side I assume it is best to take it off the top of the spring, correct?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 27, 2019 10:34PM

Correct! or if the left is too low...use a coil spring boost on top!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 28, 2019 09:35AM

Matt, where do I get a "coil spring boost"?

Patrick McGhee
1963 Spyder convertible
Weatherford, Texas

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 28, 2019 09:35AM

3/4" difference is A LOT. Good for circle track I suppose.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: November 28, 2019 09:59AM

Never mind, I found them on line,

Patrick McGhee
1963 Spyder convertible
Weatherford, Texas

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 28, 2019 10:15AM

Great!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: November 28, 2019 03:05PM

Patrick,
I'm up to about 240 pounds now, until the weather breaks here in Indiana, for the right price, I could be convinced to ride in your passenger seat and see if that levels her out! Hope you had a great turkey day!

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 28, 2019 03:54PM

Could you share the link to your coil spring boost?

Posted by: corvair500 ()
Date: December 02, 2019 03:37AM

[www.corvair.com]
The bushings C733D between the body and rear suspension can affect stance , if one has compressed ( worn out) then that side may be lower . In order to change the engine has to be removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 03:40AM by corvair500.

Posted by: briandowdy ()
Date: December 04, 2019 01:33PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Correct! or if the left is too low...use a coil spring boost on top!

Sorry ...Couldn't resist

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.