Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front end engine conversion
Posted by: corvaircowboy ()
Date: November 26, 2019 06:26PM

What r the steps of making a front end v8 vair conversion. N how long will it take. Let me no at 214-927-6903 thank yall.

Joshua (#corvairguy)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front end engine conversion
Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 09:00PM

Do you want front wheel drive or rear wheel drive ? Maybe 4 wheel drive?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 26, 2019 09:26PM

corvaircowboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What r the steps of making a front end v8 vair conversion. N how long will it take. Let me no at 214-927-6903 thank yall.

Joshua (#corvairguy)

WoW!
Talk about a TALL order.
What steps?
That would depend on just how neat of a job you wanted to do.
How long would it take?
That would depend on your skills level, and how clean a job you wanted to do.
Frankly, for someone who calls themselves the "Corvairguy", I don't think you really know or understand Corvairs!
Why in the world would you want to destroy the incredible handling characteristics of a Corvair, by dropping a V8 into THE NOSE OF IT ? ? ? ? confused smiley hot smiley eye popping smiley thumbs down
Sounds like something an ignorant kid would want to do!
If you just got to have a V8, at least put it in the MIDDLE ! ! !
It will handle GREAT, and it looks EXOTIC ! ! !
Think of all the Euro-Supercars!
If you just cant live with the engine in the back, like it belongs in a Vair, then go mid-engine!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 27, 2019 03:51AM

I agree with Mel.The two things that define the Corvair are the air cooling and the rear engine mounting. While I can tolerate the water-pumper engine (for sake of the added horsepower), when you move the engine to ahead of the passengers, you've removed all traces of Corvair DNA. You don't have a Corvair. What you'll have is a "something else" in a Corvair skin.

I don't understand. If you wanted a "something else" front engine water-pumper, why not start with a Camaro roller, or something other than a car that was never intended to have a heavy engine in the front end? You'll end up, as I've seen many guys like you have done, with a badly engineered, ill-handling, overly expensive, less than satisfying car. Why?

-Mark

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: November 27, 2019 04:02AM

To make a front engine Vair you are basically going to have to re-design the whole car. Front suspension to handle the weight and you must relocate gas tank. Disc brakes,power steering and air conditioning will now be mandatory. Floor will need to be reconstructed to allow for a tunnel to accommodate a drive shaft. All rear suspension must be removed, differential installed, live axle and leaf springs. Most people swap body onto frame. The trade off will be, loosing lightweight nimble Corvair handling along with mordern independent suspension in favor of a hard to stop, front end heavy plowing, archaic live axle, and poor handling hot rod. Once you get all of the handling, stopping and cooling issues sorted you will also have a terribly unsafe car in a crash. Instead of an empty trunk crumple zone, you will have a big engine to be pushed into your lap and face through a body never designed for it. A questionable gas tank depending on where you place it, making other collisions hazardous. You will need lots of $$$. Lots of it. Days, weeks, months, years of research.You will need fabrication skills and a shop with thousands of dollars worth tools. All said and done, you could buy new Camaro. It would be much safer, reliable and your life would not be resting on the chassis of some home built contraption.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: November 27, 2019 04:10AM

Joshua,

I love V8 Corvairs given that I own & drive a V8 Rampside and am currently converting a 65 coupe with a rear engine Buick 215 V8 from a drag race car into a vairy nice street car.

However, a front-mounted V8 is very unappealing to me.

That said, it is YOUR car so you should do what makes you happy!

As to your original question, many of us think that you're trying to "get a haircut over the phone".

I recommend that you spend more time researching V8 Corvairs and narrow your focus to specific areas of the build, THEN start posting your questions.

A good place to start your research would be visiting the V8 Registry Forum

Best wishes!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 27, 2019 04:37AM

My gut reaction is you should buy something already done.

Lots of that kind of thing for sale out there...just look.

Date: November 27, 2019 04:53AM

That's why all that is out there for sale. Like the one guy said, you're going to end up reengineering the whole car. So by the time you do that, you'll find that the results are less than satisfying. Witness the fact that those that have had any success at all have simply reskinned an existing platform with the Corvair skin, rather than trying to rework the Corvair chassis. Just a word to the wise, which is why you need to investigate all that has been done before, and their results.

-Mark

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 27, 2019 05:00AM

Guys, give the person a break. Everyone loved the Jaguar V12 in the front of a Corvair!

My gripe is learn to spell and say your words, this is not a texting site!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: November 27, 2019 04:50PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> I agree with Mel.The two things that define the Corvair are the air cooling and the rear engine mounting. While I can tolerate the water-pumper engine (for sake of the added horsepower), when you move the engine to ahead of the passengers, you've removed all traces of Corvair DNA. You don't have a Corvair. What you'll have is a "something else" in a Corvair skin.
>
> I don't understand. If you wanted a "something else" front engine water-pumper, why not start with a Camaro roller, or something other than a car that was never intended to have a heavy engine in the front end? You'll end up, as I've seen many guys like you have done, with a badly engineered, ill-handling, overly expensive, less than satisfying car. Why?
>
> -Mark
I agree with Mark 110%(get it?). It's no longer a Corvair it's now a Heinz 57 or whatever. confused smiley Mike

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 27, 2019 05:11PM

vairmech Wrote:
> Guys, give the person a break. Everyone loved the Jaguar V12 in the front of a Corvair!
>
> My gripe is learn to spell and say your words, this is not a texting site!

Everyone loved the V12 Corvair, because it was a HIGHLY engineered, and FINELY detailed work of art.

The inability to actually spell and articulate real sentences leads many of us to believe that the offspring of this Corvair/V8 marriage will be an equally atrocious abomination! If you can not communicate properly, then how am I supposed to believe that there is adequate education to fully comprehend the enormity of such a project?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: November 27, 2019 05:40PM

Do a deep dive on the 61-63 Pontiac Tempest. I believe the chassis was co-developed with the EM Corvair. You might find some inspiration (or maybe you'll buy one with a factory 215 V8 and 4 speed transaxle)

James
65 Corsa

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: November 27, 2019 09:35PM

Joshua,
If you're still reading this, after all the insults, you might do what this fellow did. GM "G" body frames will supposedly slip right under a Corvair. As long as you can torch and weld, this would probably be the easiest path for you.

[www.superchevy.com]

You didn't mention what year Corvair you're working with, this article shows an early, and I believe if you search u-tube, you'll find this fellow's late model with the same type conversion. Here's a list from Wikipedia of possible donor cars:

Buick Regal (1982–1987)
Chevrolet El Camino (1982–1987)
Chevrolet Malibu (1982–1983)
Chevrolet Monte Carlo (1982–1988)
GMC Caballero (1982–1987)
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (1982–1988) Note: the 1988 model was known as Cutlass Supreme Classic
Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser (1982–1983)
Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon (1986–1987)
Pontiac LeMans (1982)
Pontiac Bonneville (1982–1986)
Pontiac Grand Prix (1982–1987)

Good luck, have an excellent turkey day! Scott

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: November 28, 2019 08:09AM

Posted by: vairmech ()

Guys, give the person a break. Everyone loved the Jaguar V12 in the front of a Corvair!

My gripe is learn to spell and say your words, this is not a texting site!

Ken Hand

tongue sticking out smileytongue sticking out smileytongue sticking out smileytongue sticking out smileytongue sticking out smiley Ken, not everybody liked it. I for one thought it was a tragic waste of a really nicely optioned '67 Monza coupe. And were I to ever gain possession of it, I don't know whether I'd torch it and crush it, or customize the hell out of it. It certainly was offensive to stock Corvairs, as the guy tried his level best to hide what was under the front end. That right there is enough to want to customize it to death. But that's just my opinion of it.

-Mark

Posted by: ensys ()
Date: November 28, 2019 09:50PM

Add me to the list of skeptics. Certainly, the installation was undeniably artful, but there was no escaping the "Why?"

When I posed this query to the presumed perpetrator of the deed, he began with "Well, I had this Jag engine..." and ended with "because I could".

It is my observation that things executed "because I can" usually reflect the lack of logic in the enterprise, while illustrating the dangers in purely emotional (usually tinged in ego) responses to problems.

$.02 from the cheap seats.

Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

From America's
Automobile Heartland

Date: November 29, 2019 04:51AM

S.J.Szabo very well put. My observation of such people is to say that one can always jump off a bridge, but I wouldn't advise that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Reminds me of the outrage the old car hobby poured out on Boyd Coddington for hot rodding a really nice original antique, when he could have just as easily used one made from repop parts. Where's our sense of outrage over the Jag abortion?

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.