Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mig welder
Date: November 26, 2019 10:30AM

"our" Richard Finch (RiP - 2018) "wrote the book" on Welding - Welder's Handbook

Click on the photo for a great short summary of Richard's amazing life.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 26, 2019 01:00PM

gnrand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a 220 mig welder with gas. I contacted a local school to inquire about a class. In the initial discussion they stressed a good welders helmet, Esab Sentinel was mentioned. This one is expensive, but their point was you can't weld properly if you have trouble seeing what you are working on. Read the reviews and that should guide you in choosing a good compromise. I did buy the most expensive one that HF sells (about $150).
> Jeff

"A GOOD WELDER'S HELMET" is VERY IMPORTANT!

When I was 9 years old my dad and I were visiting his friend a few houses down from ours. He had just bought an Arc Welder and was going to 'experiment' with it in his garage. He only had ONE Helmet but dad wanted to watch him weld, thinking a "few minutes" won't hurt! He made ME leave the garage until the welding was over.

Later that night dad woke up SCREAMING from the pain in his eyes!!! hot smiley

It turned out he had burnt his Retinas with the "Invisible Light" that is produced by an electrical arc (Infrared and Ultraviolet)!

He missed a week of work and had to start wearing glasses. His eyesight continued to fail. sad smiley

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Get the BEST Helmet you can afford. eye popping smiley

Welding can be "fun" but I don't want anyone going blind by saving a buck!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: November 26, 2019 06:02PM

oldqmguy Wrote:
> gnrand Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I have a 220 mig welder with gas. I contacted a local school to inquire about a class. In the initial discussion they stressed a good welders helmet, Esab Sentinel was mentioned. This one is expensive, but their point was you can't weld properly if you have trouble seeing what you are working on. Read the reviews and that should guide you in choosing a good compromise. I did buy the most expensive one that HF sells (about $150).
> > Jeff
>
> "A GOOD WELDER'S HELMET" is VERY IMPORTANT!
>
> When I was 9 years old my dad and I were visiting his friend a few houses down from ours. He had just bought an Arc Welder and was going to 'experiment' with it in his garage. He only had ONE Helmet but dad wanted to watch him weld, thinking a "few minutes" won't hurt! He made ME leave the garage until the welding was over.
>
> Later that night dad woke up SCREAMING from the pain in his eyes!!! hot smiley
>
> It turned out he had burnt his Retinas with the "Invisible Light" that is produced by an electrical arc (Infrared and Ultraviolet)!
>
> He missed a week of work and had to start wearing glasses. His eyesight continued to fail. sad smiley
>
> PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Get the BEST Helmet you can afford. eye popping smiley
>
> Welding can be "fun" but I don't want anyone going blind by saving a buck!
>
> Dale cool smiley

Yow $150 from HF? I bought a name brand quality auto darken helmet from my welding supply for less than that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 26, 2019 06:23PM

All I can say about "HF" is "Let the Buyer Be Ware!"

You have to determine IF you're getting a Bargain or not!

Industrial supply stores will have better deals but the average person won't bother to search for them.

The bottom line is GET A GOOD HELMET!

I have found a few good deals at HF, but I have found a bunch of stuff I know I can get a better deal on at other places.

Dale winking smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 26, 2019 09:03PM

I have a $40 HF that works great. I can see really well ans never have any noticable eye strain after welding for hours. The big problem with HF is the next one you get might be made different.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: November 27, 2019 05:53AM

… "you get what you pay for" is always tue,,I have both ,bought from a dealership Always wear NON-reflective cloths (I turn a dark workshirt backwards and wear a skill-cap for a reason) Don't think that as a hobby you'll get professional reults,,if you want the job done 'right',take it to one that does it for a living ..spend half-assed and you'll get half-assed results .. (I learned from my mistakes)

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: November 27, 2019 12:39PM

thumbs up For the eastwood with its full scale heat adjustment and gas set-up its easy to weld lite sheet metal

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 27, 2019 12:51PM

Good to hear from you Tom.smileys with beer

I was not sure about the auto darkening shields until I used one. These are well worth the cost. I welded for many years the old way.. look, close helmet and guess-strike.
Be sure to get a good welding shield. Skin burns heal but eyes won't.
When I learned welding 40+ years ago, they said anyone with Blue eyes like me should not be welding. I have been vary fortunate enough that I have not got burned retina's after a few mistake flashes in the past.

Corventure Dave

Date: November 27, 2019 02:46PM

I used my 'old' helmet till about 2010 then I tried one-what a difference! I still nod my helmet down sometimes... I'm pushin 70 now, never thought I'd outlive my dad (or Mom,or youngest brother) I've learned from 'the best' but can't teach like they did.. I try to read Steve, and Craig but remember when Ken Hand got on

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Date: November 27, 2019 03:18PM

Great to hear from you again, Tom Z thumbs up

I'm right behind you, pushing 69!

Old cars hobby will keep you young I say.

A great workout pushing old cars and your next year on planet Earth! smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: November 27, 2019 03:27PM

corventure Dave Wrote:
> Good to hear from you Tom.smileys with beer
>
> I was not sure about the auto darkening shields until I used one. These are well worth the cost. I welded for many years the old way.. look, close helmet and guess-strike.
> Be sure to get a good welding shield. Skin burns heal but eyes won't.
> When I learned welding 40+ years ago, they said anyone with Blue eyes like me should not be welding. I have been vary fortunate enough that I have not got burned retina's after a few mistake flashes in the past.
>
> Corventure Dave

Back in the day I also questioned auto darkening helmets when they first came out. Once I tried one the old regular one went in the trash immediately. I sat there wondering how I ever got good welds using itsmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: November 27, 2019 04:28PM

Team Miller over here , you won't be disappointed. We use steel mix gas with .030 or .035 wire. Just close your eyes and pull the trigger

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: November 28, 2019 07:53AM

--me too;I started with CAW/Everdure on Dad's AC Lincoln (old one)then got a couple yellow MIG (one flux,other was solid/gas shield),now I run the Miller,a new 140/220VAC auto set,and an inverter STL(real quiet)..the 'teacher' would sneak up behind me (no helmet) and listen to my mitakes..AFAIK "Miller" is Canadian, Hobart is from state-side== same machine,Miller seemed to have a 'cold tip'..A local guy wants to buy the MIG or teach him to use his, dunno.. no more cheap stuff anymore

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 28, 2019 05:57PM

From Miller's web site:
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW).

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: November 28, 2019 08:38PM

ITW ownes Hobart too.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: Reds kid ()
Date: November 29, 2019 03:03PM

I bought a Millermatic 211 a few years ago It is 120 and 220. Works great from sheet metal to 3/8 depending on the wire and voltage. I have also used it on aluminum with a spool gun. The other thing is a good lens for your helmet. For the lens my son was using a harbor freight helmet then I loaned him my Miller and he said was a game changer in welding class.

65 140 Corsa
Castaic CA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 29, 2019 05:40PM

Practice, practice, practice. I don't use mine all that much any more, but when I do, I grab some scrap similar to what I'm working with (no shortage of scrap) and practice until I like the results. I think this would hold true regardless of the your unit and helmet quality.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: November 30, 2019 03:56PM

I had a friend that was a welder for Fed-Ex in their plane service center. He recommended the shielding gas over the flux core because there was less splatter. He also stated that what you pay extra for the flux core wire you simply pay similar with the shielding gas.

If you do go gas get a decent sized bottle. I had the tiny bottle (about 18" tall) and the gas went fast. Presently I have the..., I believe it is a 55 pound bottle (a $30 upgrade at the time) and get a replacement about every 5 years (shows how little I weld now).

Maybe it is a case of 'you don't know what you are missing' for lack of experience, but he felt the diodes in the Harbor Freight welders were lacking (I think they were the Italian welders they sold at the time). A few years back I acquired a small HF MIG welder and gave it to my son. He was deep in a welding class at the time and by comparison to what he had at his disposal also passed it on.

Me, I got myself a Lincoln MIG Pak 10 (back in 2000). It was a $425 welder that Costco was selling the floor model for $250. My wife of all people found it for me. It has served me well but I do wish I had a higher rated welder at times. So, factor the cost of more amps (150+). Remember Once you start getting over 100 amps you likely need to go 220. Then the reality TV show over who gets to use the dryer outlet begins. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 03:57PM by wittsend.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.