Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mig welder
Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: November 24, 2019 09:18PM

Any suggestions on a good welder to look for? I'm not sure what make or size to get. Thanks for any help

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mig welder
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 24, 2019 09:37PM

Matt has been talking about a new HF one that he says is really good bang for the buck.
I am sure he will post something soon.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 24, 2019 10:38PM

I'm not the right person to ask... but I am a novice... only welding successfully for the last 15 mths.

Lots of good units at $200 [ starter kits ]

I LIKE Fluxcore! DC and the new INVERTOR technology.

I started with a HF 80 amp AC FluxC and it burns holes in sheetmetal 0.060-0.090" easily.. Lots of Splatter and noisey! But practice with that, and you can surprise yourself!

Then by happenstance, bought two other units..

The HF Titanium 125 DC @ 40-60 amps is like a glue gun on sheetmetal! Quiet , clean, effortless... I use this for exhaust and sheetmetal.

The HitBox Model 210 is 185 amp / AC Flux / DC Mig/ Tig with provision for Shielding gas is great for heavier. Have not used the Tig because I have no bottle. I Weld with 0.35" Fluxcore wire using the MIG setting. Super great above 60 amps. I've welded 3/8 with good penetration. And done a couple of "overlays" with no cracking under 15,000psi press.

I'm happy..but easily pleased!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 10:56PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: November 25, 2019 03:39AM

If you are doing metal work for body repair you will need a gas setup. Don’t want fluxcore is a rust promoter. I have a Hobart 140 and it is fantastic. Nothing beats having another 140 in the garage too!

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 25, 2019 05:18AM

I wanted 220 rather than 110 so I could do heavy stuff like trailers. I bought a Hobart with shielding gas. It cost less than a Miller or Lincoln and had more dial positions for adjusting.
I don't know the difference but it's been good. I have better results for sheetmetal when using a smaller wire. I just crank up the power and wire speed when doing studs in exhaust manifolds or other fabricating brackets and such. I would probably change wire if doing something heavier.
I could probably get by with 110 for most of the stuff I ever do but I've never tried one.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 110PG ()
Date: November 25, 2019 06:14AM

I have an Eastwood 135. Its a flux or gas (I got the small gas tank and am using solid wire) Its perfect for what I'm doing

Joe
Western WI
66 Corsa Convertible
VCCA #

Posted by: swamprat ()
Date: November 25, 2019 06:19AM

If possible look for a welder that has rheostat adjustments (rather than click adjustments) for both amperage and wire speed. It allows you to fine tune both for your specific needs. .023 solid wire with shielding gas is the way to go for body repairs.

Date: November 25, 2019 07:40AM

Noel Felty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don’t want fluxcore is a rust promoter.

=======================================================

Can you provide the test on this... all I've read is there is no difference!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: November 25, 2019 08:54AM

i use a lincoln 180c for mig and an alphatig 200x for tig and stick.

been more than happy with both of them for automotive and general repairs.

the mig is a 220 only, but the tig machine can be run on both. has to be 220V to weld over 150A, but i hardly ever go that high unless im welding aluminum on the thicker side.

ive heard really good things about everlast welders from peers who use them. they are a bit more affordable.

These days there are a lot of good chinese inverter welders on the market. just verify the positive online reviews are genuine and not fabricated.

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California
1960 Monza 900

Posted by: DRCORVAIR ()
Date: November 25, 2019 09:00AM

I'm really happy w/ my Eastwood 175, use it w/ gas. Figured out the sheetmetal settings and it's really really easy w/ heavier materials. Mines about 5 years old and there has been a lot of progress w/ the inverter technologies. It would be nice to run on either 120V or 220V which mine does not. I had a couple of issues w/ mine which Eastwood took care of no questions asked even one that was a bit out of warranty. Construction is good and about 1/2 the price of "real" Hobart/ Lincoln. Spool gun for Aluminum was included though I have not tried it.

63 Greenbrier 4 spd from Tuscon under restoration
65 500 140 x 4 spd waiting on resto but driveable
95 Miata M Edition- Merlot w/ BBS (Hers)
00 Miata, Black- Rotrex Supercharger 240 WHP (His)
09 SAAB Aero Combi 2.8T, 300 HP, 6 Spd, AWD
06 RAV4 V6
11 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (Daughter's ride)
62 15' Serro Scotty Sportsman Silverside
63 13' Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho
68 15' Serro Scotty HiLander
OMG I'm Nucking Futz

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: November 25, 2019 10:03AM

Thanks to you all. I'll keep you posted on what I end up with. I've not done a lot of welding but I'm kinda known for jumping in with both feet! I think the first Mig welding I did was to chop the top on a 34 ford 4 inches it was kinda scary at first but it ended up coming out pretty good. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: November 25, 2019 10:11AM

I know that a number of people in my VW forums community have purchased this unit from Eastwood over the years & have been pleased...

[www.eastwood.com]

And Free Shipping is available with coupon.

bryan in NC

Posted by: 65 Corsa Vert ()
Date: November 25, 2019 10:40AM

You can't go wrong with a 140 from either Hobart, Lincoln or Miller. Look at the classifieds and find a good used one. classifieds meaning craigslist, Facebook marketplace , offer up etc.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: November 25, 2019 11:16AM

>> living in southern Iowa <<

A google search shows several Junior Colleges with welding classes.

Learn how to weld correctly.
Learn what equipment works best for you.
Many Welding Supply Stores offer discounts for welding students.

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 25, 2019 01:01PM

Richard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> living in southern Iowa <<
>
> A google search shows several Junior Colleges with welding classes.
>
> Learn how to weld correctly.
> Learn what equipment works best for you.
> Many Welding Supply Stores offer discounts for welding students.

This is always a good idea.

Many years ago (1958) I learned to weld in my High School Metal Shop class. There were no "Inert Gas" welders is those days so we had to learn Gas Welding, AC & DC Arc Welding, Brazing, Cutting with a Gas Torch, and Spot Welding.

I was pretty good at it and it has helped me more than once!

Flux is used to 'final clean' the metal and keep the metal from reacting to oxygen present in the air.

The "IG" in MIG or TIG means "Inert Gas" which surrounds the Arc, preventing oxygenation of the weld.

Flux coated wire should be used in a 'wire feed' welder when you are NOT using Gas.

In the TIG, a Tungsten rod is used to create the Arc within the Gas Bubble but does not take part in the Weld so an external rod of the proper metal has to be used.

I am not "older than dirt" but I think I was around when they got it perfected!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: November 25, 2019 07:32PM

Tig welding was from WW II

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: gnrand ()
Date: November 26, 2019 06:33AM

I have a 220 mig welder with gas. I contacted a local school to inquire about a class. In the initial discussion they stressed a good welders helmet, Esab Sentinel was mentioned. This one is expensive, but their point was you can't weld properly if you have trouble seeing what you are working on. Read the reviews and that should guide you in choosing a good compromise. I did buy the most expensive one that HF sells (about $150).
Jeff

Wildomar,Ca

1965 Corsa Hard Top sold
!965 Corsa Convertible
1968 Monza 140 Convertible 4 speed sold
1966 435 HP Crown
1986 Buick GN

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 26, 2019 07:22AM

I started with Lincoln 110v flux wire, upgradable to MIG. Eventually I did upgrade it. I have lots of old welds done with flux with no sign of rust or corrosion. What I did at the time was to add a couple layers of masking tape in the weld area. That all but eliminated splatter issues. The MIG works really nice, but if I'm welding out side in the wind or rusty metal (mowers and such) that doesn't clean up nice I go back to flux. I'm happy with my choice, if I need something heavier, I have lots of friends with big stuff. BTW I got the HF cart, works well.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 08:37AM

I bought my Hobart 210 from the Hobart factory reconditioned site. Hobart warranties their welders and when one has a problem they replace it. Mine came like a brand new welder with a short warranty and was way less expensive than a new one. I've used it for all kinds of stuff both light and moderately heavy. I did have to wait for it as there wasn't one available when I looked, but you can sign up and they'll email you when they have one.
[www.hobartweldshop.com]

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: November 26, 2019 09:56AM

I had a little Campbell Hausfeld inexpensive MIG welder, It would weld sheet metal, but was an extreme challenge, for my limited skill. I bought a Hobart 210 (didn't know about the reconditioned site moody smiley), and the hobart practically welds by itself. I still have trouble welding upside-down though!

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.