Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Needed: Corvair in plastic.
Posted by: 64CorvairMonza ()
Date: December 02, 2019 07:33PM

Is the movie called 'The Only One Who Didn't Survive' staring Ralph Nader? smileys with beer

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: December 02, 2019 08:19PM

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 02, 2019 04:46PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I be willing to bet 90% of the population knows what 3D printing is, and nearly as many never heard of additive manufacturing.

Your are quiet correct.
Some people just can not ever admit when they are wrong.

Glad you admit that, Mel. LOL grinning smiley

Just because something is popular, doesn't make it right. Just like my "unsweetened tea" example, look up what the prefexes "un" and "non" mean. Yet look how many fast food places call it UNsweetened tea.

And that, folks, is what eventually causes exceptions to the rules in the already difficult English language. Like I said, I'm watching the English language go to hell right before my eyes.eye popping smiley

-Mark

Date: December 02, 2019 09:17PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> Posted by: American Mel ()
> Date: December 02, 2019 04:46PM
>
> jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I be willing to bet 90% of the population knows what 3D printing is, and nearly as many never heard of additive manufacturing.
>
>
> Your are quiet correct.
> Some people just can not ever admit when they are wrong.
>
>
>
> Glad you admit that, Mel. LOL grinning smiley
>
> Just because something is popular, doesn't make it right. Just like my "unsweetened tea" example, look up what the prefexes "un" and "non" mean. Yet look how many fast food places call it UNsweetened tea.
>
> And that, folks, is what eventually causes exceptions to the rules in the already difficult English language. Like I said, I'm watching the English language go to hell right before my eyes.eye popping smiley
>
> -Mark

I admit NOTHING.
I was referring to the ignorant, and arrogant Word Nazi in this conversation.
Yes, our language is going to crap, but you don't have to be a Word Nazi over piddling things like "3D Printing", or "UN" vs "NON".
It is a Commercially accepted term that makes sense to MOST people, even if you consider it to be incorrect.
Yes, I agree that "Unsweetened Tea" is a comical misnomer, but everyone understands it for what it is.
I do not believe that anyone actually thinks that tea has been de-sweetened to create NON-Sweet Tea!
No one that I know is actually so dumb that you need to explain it to them.
If you are so determined that by being a Word Nazi, you will single-handedly save the English Language, then why don't you focus on nonsensical things that are TRULY DESTROYING our language?
Particularly non-words or dropped syllables.
Some of the ones that drive me nuts are things like,
"I am going to Cali for Vay Kay!"
Or the non-words commonly used in texting.
"How R U?"
Or the acronyms that are texted?
While just about everyone now knows what "LOL" means, there are new ones popping up every day!
Pretty soon, people will not even know how to read the REAL WORDS!
Proper English will eventually become a SECRET CODE known only by us Old Duffers over 50 ! ! !
If you want to save the language focus on getting people to use real words first.
Then you can correct misnomers after people actually start caring about being able to communicate once again.
I have actually seen/heard a young person in a crown blurt out, "Lol" when he saw something funny happen!
Yes, I literally mean that he said it as a WORD, not "L-O-L" as individual letters!
CRAZY ! ! !

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: December 03, 2019 05:55AM

Mel, I hope you'd realize that I'm just pulling everybody's chain. If anybody would make a perfect word nazi, you've just nominated yourself quite well. That's why I said that I'm watching the language go to hell right before my eyes.

Another good example is how people have lost the real definition of the automotive term "sedan". People don't realize that you can have a 2 door sedan (and just about every 2 door on the market is a sedan these days), so as Hal Sparks says in his stand-up routine, they invent words. Like "post car", without giving a thought as to the meaning of the words. Problem is, when you're dealing with cars from the heyday of the hardtop, the differences between a sedan and a hardtop really DO make a difference. A BIG difference, actually.

But this whole exercise just shows that words are invented, hijacked, or just plain used badly or incorrectly. They become slang, then as the slang becomes popular, they eventually become accepted exceptions to the established rules of proper language. Today, technology and marketing have accelerated this exponentially in both volume and speed. It's like watching a train wreck, both fascinating and unbelievable. I am amazed.

So don't take me so seriously. I'm only having (making) fun with it. Though as a hardtop owner, that misuse of the word "sedan" does grate against my nerves a bit. Not to mention my wallet. And nothing hurts worse than getting hit in the wallet. So don't call my car a sedan.

-Mark

Date: December 03, 2019 06:33AM

This is great! let's talk about anything but smashing Corvairs in any form!! I certainly don't want to watch a movie where a Corvair has an accident. And the technical term is a machine that spins off weed-eater/trimmer string and melts it in a glob to create a semi usable shape. Stop with the fancy terms such as 3D printing. Printing is for words being spray painted on paper by another type of machine with a super fine orifice......grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 06:40AM by 64CorvairMonza.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: December 03, 2019 07:58AM

Boy this thread went down the rabbit hole!! :: winking smiley

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: December 03, 2019 08:07AM

toms73novass Wrote:
> Boy this thread went down the rabbit hole!! :: winking smiley

Always seems to happen when there's violence mentioned towards the name Corvair in the air ...grinning smiley... BTW, I'm looking for the ultimate model Corvair in 64' coupe but don't much care for AMT junk! I grew up a Revell Modeler and will be a Revell fan for life!!!thumbs up

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: December 03, 2019 10:24AM

64CorvairMonza Wrote:
BTW, I'm looking for the ultimate model Corvair in 64' coupe but don't much care for AMT junk! I grew up a Revell Modeler and will be a Revell fan for life!!!thumbs up

You'll be looking for a while...I think all the Corvair stuff Revell made was either a Dune Buggy, or custom Show Car (Ed Roth Road Agent)...no actual cars.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: December 03, 2019 09:29PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> Mel, I hope you'd realize that I'm just pulling everybody's chain. If anybody would make a perfect word nazi, you've just nominated yourself quite well. That's why I said that I'm watching the language go to hell right before my eyes.
> ............................................................................................................
>
> So don't take me so seriously. I'm only having (making) fun with it. Though as a hardtop owner, that misuse of the word "sedan" does grate against my nerves a bit. Not to mention my wallet. And nothing hurts worse than getting hit in the wallet. So don't call my car a sedan.
>
> -Mark

Mark,
You and I and everyone on the forum knows that you have not been yanking anyone's chain. You have a history of ranting about our misuse of automotive terms going back eons!
As for me being a Word Nazi, you are once again attempting to misdirect guilt. While I find it disheartening to see our beautiful language deteriorating before my eyes, I am not the one out there writing all the posts about Backlights, Sedans, Coupes, and Hardtops. I simply directed your attention to far worse language crimes than using a few misnomers, and suggested that YOU make a focus there. Unlike you, I have not been on, nor do I plan on starting a personal Word Nazi Pogrom against ignorance and illiteracy.
You do not need to worry about me ever taking you seriously, I haven't yet. grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: December 04, 2019 04:40AM

64CorvairMonza, Eric is right. Unfortunately, don't hold your breath. I think the best chance of getting that which you desire would be from a resin maker. Don of Modelhaus was one of the best for quality and details I've come across, and he just retired and closed his business. I've done many masters for the LM AMT kits for him over the years. But he eventually told me that there simply was too much details for him to cope with. All my customers are like you and like those details. His main customers, it seems, prefer the simple promo style kits.

As for all the Corvair model parts and kits he made, those eventually will become available again. He had a lot more items squirreled away than what his latest catalogs have been showing recently, so there are some surprises in store for the Corvair modeling community!

-Mark

Date: December 04, 2019 10:41AM

67 airvair Wrote:
> 64CorvairMonza, Eric is right. Unfortunately, don't hold your breath. I think the best chance of getting that which you desire would be from a resin maker. Don of Modelhaus was one of the best for quality and details I've come across, and he just retired and closed his business. I've done many masters for the LM AMT kits for him over the years. But he eventually told me that there simply was too much details for him to cope with. All my customers are like you and like those details. His main customers, it seems, prefer the simple promo style kits.
>
> As for all the Corvair model parts and kits he made, those eventually will become available again. He had a lot more items squirreled away than what his latest catalogs have been showing recently, so there are some surprises in store for the Corvair modeling community!
>
> -Mark

I am finding that out the further I search. And yes, I don't think Revell was able to obtain rights/contract to that name( and it's a fact that you must). I guess AMT paid a pretty penny to get such a privilege to produce GM Corvair car models. But half of what I find have been partially assembled and the other half, assembled LOL.... I'll keep looking for a nice AMT model before someone else buys it to crash it in some movie LOL...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.