Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Needed: Corvair in plastic.
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 15, 2019 11:27AM

What's the largest scale model of a Corvair ever built? And where would I find one? Talking like the ones kids put together or somebody wants just for display. I'm making a movie in February that needs to have a Corvair crashed in the snow. But I'm going to try to use a little bit of forced perspective because I don't want to put mine in the snow!

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Needed: Corvair in plastic.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 15, 2019 12:02PM

1/25th all over ebay

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 16, 2019 10:35AM

Not sure of your budget but....you could have any size you like (I would think), just get the model of your choice scanned and 3D printed.
Likely not cheap, but you get more control of the scale. Just thinking out loud here.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: November 16, 2019 12:05PM

They sell already modeled corvairs in 3d format specifically .stl format.
It is $75

It then could be 3d printed at a larger scale. How large are you thinking?

For items that are on the larger size I have printed sections and then jb welded them together and smooth and painted.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: November 28, 2019 04:32PM

That 3d model idea is a great one, guys, thank you!

PM a link to the pre-scanned file, please?

This is for a film I am going to make next year.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: November 28, 2019 06:17PM

This? [hum3d.com]

I dont have a clue on how all this works! A lot of options/versions!

Date: November 28, 2019 10:20PM

Thanks!

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 29, 2019 04:43AM

On a related note, I realize it's popular to call it "3D printing", but IMHO there is no such thing. It's a misnomer, because people initially didn't stop to think of what it really does. It's more accurate to call it what it is and does, which is ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING. Printing, to me, is strictly 2D, because printing is done with ink. Additive manufacturing means you are adding MATERIAL (and not ink), rather than removing it, hence, it is three-dimensional. Am I making sense here?

I think if everyone would only start talking in real terms, rather than imaginary ones, such misnomers wouldn't happen. But then, it's probably just as likely to happen as wiping out the notion of a "rear windshield."(Hint: the term is literal - it shields you from the oncoming wind. Anyone drive backwards all the time?) LOL

-Mark

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: November 29, 2019 03:05PM

Gee, Mark... ... You are correct, of course.

But the next thing you know people will have to be pronouncing Connecticut and Illinois correctly. grinning smiley

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 29, 2019 07:07PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a related note, I realize it's popular to call it "3D printing", but IMHO there is no such thing. It's a misnomer, because people initially didn't stop to think of what it really does. It's more accurate to call it what it is and does, which is ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING. Printing, to me, is strictly 2D, because printing is done with ink. Additive manufacturing means you are adding MATERIAL (and not ink), rather than removing it, hence, it is three-dimensional. Am I making sense here?
>
> I think if everyone would only start talking in real terms, rather than imaginary ones, such misnomers wouldn't happen. But then, it's probably just as likely to happen as wiping out the notion of a "rear windshield."(Hint: the term is literal - it shields you from the oncoming wind. Anyone drive backwards all the time?) LOL
>
> -Mark

I don't know Mark. eye rolling smiley
If you drive a convertible much, you will realize just how much that Backlight actually DOES shield you from the wind ! ! !
SO, front and rear windshields sound fairly accurate to me. grinning smiley

As for your "additive manufacturing", I don't think it will fly.
3D Printing has so much more appeal to it.
If you really want to get technical, you would need to go all the way, and say that traditional "Printers" are misnomers, and should be called "Additive Writers".
After all, they are adding ink to a piece of paper.
But even that is not correct, because a large amount of "printing" today is actually graphics, and not text.
Since there is no longer and type setting involved, can they actually even be called "Printers" ? ? ? confused smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: November 29, 2019 08:47PM

just so you'll know, Mel, I've owned my convertible for 48 years. Bought it in '71, still have it. But that's not the main purpose of the convertible's rear window.

And as I said, I doubt people will stop using the "3D printing" misnomer, because it's become too ingrained. About like "unsweetened" tea. How do they get the sweetener out of it?confused smiley

Interesting watching the language go to hell. eye popping smiley My (English language) school teachers are all probably spinning in their graves. But it's provided Hal Sparks plenty of hysterical stand-up material!

-Mark

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 29, 2019 09:06PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> On a related note, I realize it's popular to call it "3D printing", but IMHO there is no such thing. It's a misnomer, because people initially didn't stop to think of what it really does. It's more accurate to call it what it is and does, which is ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING. Printing, to me, is strictly 2D, because printing is done with ink. Additive manufacturing means you are adding MATERIAL (and not ink), rather than removing it, hence, it is three-dimensional. Am I making sense here?
>
> I think if everyone would only start talking in real terms, rather than imaginary ones, such misnomers wouldn't happen. But then, it's probably just as likely to happen as wiping out the notion of a "rear windshield."(Hint: the term is literal - it shields you from the oncoming wind. Anyone drive backwards all the time?) LOL
>
> -Mark

Its called both Additive Manufacturing and 3d printing. Additive Manufacturing is used mostly to differentiate from "Subtractive" Manufacturing (Machining) and Near net processing (Casting with a slight amount of Machining). The innovators get to name it and call it what they want, and most everyone I've ever talked to that is in the business now calls it 3d printing. In the 1980's when it was first developed, it was also called "Stereo Lithography" but that name fell out of favor, as 3d printing is simpler, easier to say and is more accurate.
Strictly speaking, printing is not a 2d process, because all ink has height to it but the height is so slight we don't notice it.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: November 30, 2019 01:27PM

True Kevin, but I'm old school, and to me printing is still only 2D. BTW, it depends on what kind of printing material you use, as many inks are absorbed into the paper, color it, dissipate, and thus add no measurable height to the sheet.

I'll stick with additive manufacturing because to me, it's the more accurate term.

More to the subject, what I find funny is how promoters are so aglow about it. They tend to claim it can do everything. So I challenge them and ask them to make me a Samurai sword. LOL

-Mark

Posted by: volleybob ()
Date: November 30, 2019 03:08PM

mark,
There is no dispute in my mind that you are totally correct in your analogy. I could never understand the stupid term..."3D printing."

Bob Bacchi - SDCC

Date: November 30, 2019 06:17PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> just so you'll know, Mel, I've owned my convertible for 48 years. Bought it in '71, still have it. But that's not the main purpose of the convertible's rear window.
>
> And as I said, I doubt people will stop using the "3D printing" misnomer, because it's become too ingrained. About like "unsweetened" tea. How do they get the sweetener out of it?confused smiley
>
> Interesting watching the language go to hell. eye popping smiley My (English language) school teachers are all probably spinning in their graves. But it's provided Hal Sparks plenty of hysterical stand-up material!
>
> -Mark

How often you drop the top, is MORE IMPORTANT than how long you have owned a convertible, in this context.
Mine is down more often than it is up.
I know a nice fellow with a '69 vert who NEVER drops his top.
How often is YOURS down?
If it is not up, then I guess it is NOT blocking any wind.
But it sure ain't serving any OTHER PURPOSES either!
As for "Main Purpose" of a window?
I guess you could argue about just what exactly is "The Main Purpose" of a front window is too if you really wanted to continue picking nits! eye rolling smiley
I really do not see 3D printing as being a misnomer.
Set a "typical printer" next to a 3D printer and compare the actions of both.
They both deposit material onto a substrate.
Typical printer, deposits "material" onto a paper substrate.
3D printer, deposits "material" onto a substrate also.
The only difference is that the substrate being deposited onto, is a layer of the same material that was just laid down seconds before by the same machine.
Quit getting your undies in a bunch, relax, and let school teachers be the Word Nazis. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
non-vair
17'Terry

Date: December 01, 2019 02:58PM

Well, Mel, we sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. We'll just have to agree to disagree on these two items.

BTW, a "3D printer" runs over the same location many times over. A REAL printer does its job with one pass - hence no adding of thicknesses. Printing is with ink. Adding of materials such as plastic, metal, etc. is not printing, it's manufacturing.

And the main purpose of a windshield IS to shield the passengers from the wind. Ever try to drive without a windshield? I have.

-Mark

Date: December 01, 2019 05:44PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> Well, Mel, we sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. We'll just have to agree to disagree on these two items.
>
> BTW, a "3D printer" runs over the same location many times over. A REAL printer does its job with one pass - hence no adding of thicknesses. Printing is with ink. Adding of materials such as plastic, metal, etc. is not printing, it's manufacturing.
>
If you are going to quibble over technicalities, "REAL printing" as you call it, is also a form of manufacturing.
You have created something that did not exist before!
Soooo, I still don't see that you have made a case against 3D PRINTING.

> And the main purpose of a windshield IS to shield the passengers from the wind. Ever try to drive without a windshield? I have.
>
> -Mark

Yes, I have also driven without a windshield.
A little bit of wind is nothing compared to the other elements a car encounters.
Heat in the south, Cold in the north, Rain, Snow, Dirt, Dust, thrown pebbles and such.
I would count most of those a greater concern than a bit of wind. (even wind at freeway speeds, or from the mouth of a Word Nazi)

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
non-vair
17'Terry

Date: December 02, 2019 05:29AM

Mel,

To me, printing is coloring something, not manufacturing something. The first and main purpose of "3D printing" is NOT to color anything, but to add material where there was none. Hence additive manufacturing is absolutely THE correct term.

And when driving without a windshield, one encounters wind 100% of the time, and all the other things at less percentages. Hence, wind is #1 on the list, and thus gets top billing. So windshield is absolutely THE correct word.

-Mark

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 02, 2019 07:41AM

I be willing to bet 90% of the population knows what 3D printing is, and nearly as many never heard of additive manufacturing.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: December 02, 2019 04:46PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> I be willing to bet 90% of the population knows what 3D printing is, and nearly as many never heard of additive manufacturing.

Your are quiet correct.
Some people just can not ever admit when they are wrong.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
non-vair
17'Terry

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.