Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Should I Be Concerned?
Posted by: Frog ()
Date: November 06, 2019 06:00PM

Very close to starting engine for first time after rebuild.

Performing the procedure for finding the rough positioning of the rotor of the distributor, I know I can find TDC of the compression stroke of number one cylinder by simply turning the crank CCW by hand and waiting for the pressure to build up on that cylinder. Well, since the starter's in place, battery's hooked up to the starter, and remote starter switch is connected, too, I decided to test the starter, and at the same time find TDC of the compression stroke of the number one cylinder. I pressed the button on the remote switch and the starter functioned as designed. I let it spin a couple of revolutions and stopped as quickly as I could at the compression stroke of the number cylinder.

Of course, the timing mark on the pulley went past the timing numbers so I used a wrench to back up the engine (clockwise) to line up the timing mark at the approximate desired position BTDC.

Here's my concern:

At the very start of turning the wrench on the crankshaft nut, there was sort of a "lag," for lack of a better word, and there were some sounds like things lining up--or not--deep down in the "bilges" of the engine. I could even feel the movements through the handle of the wrench.

This worries me. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I Be Concerned?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 06, 2019 06:06PM

Go back and forth with the crank and tell us how much movement of the pulley,

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 06, 2019 06:34PM

I went out to the garage and repeated the TDC procedure using the starter. Same thing . . . when I back the engine the pulley rotates maybe an inch and a half or so. Same noise of things "meshing." Once that stops and I use my large wrench to move the pulley back and forth, there's hardly any lag between when the rotor moves--in either direction on no "meshing" noises. This only happens when I use the started to turn the engine over.

Pause . . .

Went back into the garage. I wanted to see how much the rotor turned during this "meshing" thing. I pressed the starter and let it go several revolutions, in fact, enough that the oil pressure gauge showed oil pressure. When I backed off the engine with my big wrench, no noise or "meshing" sounds.

Hmmmmm.

Rob Lane
1964 500 Coupe

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 06, 2019 06:56PM

Just camgear and bearing clearance... Go for it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 06, 2019 07:04PM

Thank you I say with a sigh of relief.

Rob Lane
1964 500 Coupe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.