Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Motor Oil
Posted by: Bruins_Fan ()
Date: November 08, 2019 07:07AM

Click the link to Richard's oil paper, I believe he does cover some Royal Purple oils.

4speedoverdrive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a comment and a question.
>
> The comment: I've been driving for a lot of year and have had multiple cars and in all that time I have never had an engine fail. I think if you use any of the quality oils and change them at regular intervals most engines will serve you well.
>
> The question: following comments and recommendations on this forum, that I need an oil with a certain amount of Zinc for the Corvair. I think the most recommended is the Rotella T? 10W-30. The problem with that is that Rotella 10W-30 is not all that easy to find. Lots of 15W-40 around but no 10W-30. In fact, I was at the local Farm store looking for the correct Rotella and could not find the correct viscosity, but they had Royal Purple HMX 10W-30. The Royal Purple web site has the following comments on HMX "Royal Purple® HMX® is specifically formulated with robust zinc / phosphorus anti-wear additives and Royal Purple’s proprietary additive technology Synerlec® to minimize wear and restore lost engine performance." So the question: does anyone have any experience with Royal Purple HMX and what is the Zinc/Phosphorus levels of this oil? and does it meet the requirements of the Corvair engine?

1966 Monza Convertible 110 PG
North Shore, MA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: croderique ()
Date: November 08, 2019 12:26PM

Richard1, since your white paper on Corvair motor oils was last updated in 2013, many of the oils listed now include CJ-4 in the API specs. On your website you indicate the CI-4 is best but CJ-4 is OK to use. I cannot find any CI-4 without the CJ-4 also on the API spec of the oils you recommend. Several of the Shell Rotella products you list are no longer available.

Your white paper, paragraph #37, states the CJ-4 reduces the ZDDP levels found in CI-4 oils. Does that mean we should add ZDDP to all of our oils now that they are also certified as CJ-4?

Any plans on updating your white paper anytime soon? Or should we just rely on your "simple guide" to "Corvair Oil Selection Guide" in your website?
Thanks
Chuck

Buckeye, AZ.
1966 Monza convertible 110 hp 4 speed Aztec Bronze with Bronze interior

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 08, 2019 01:55PM

Guess this is as good a place as any to inquire about the suitability of this Shell synthetic for flat tappet camshaft engines.

[rotella.shell.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 08, 2019 02:05PM

I read the page and the 2 pdf links on the page and didn't see anything about flat tappets.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: 4speedoverdrive ()
Date: November 08, 2019 02:40PM

Bruins_Fan Wrote:
> Click the link to Richard's oil paper, I believe he does cover some Royal Purple oils.

I did that and read through most of the paper. I did find some Royal Purple oil's but not the one I was asking about. But after looking at the Richard's Oil paper I see that he rejects all "S" oils. I looked through the paper several times and could not come up with a reason for that rejection. Maybe it's in there and I just missed it, in any case if someone could enlighten about the reason for this rejection I would appreciate it.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 08, 2019 02:40PM

Your white paper, paragraph #37, states the CJ-4 reduces the ZDDP levels found in CI-4 oils. Does that mean we should add ZDDP to all of our oils now that they are also certified as CJ-4?

Any plans on updating your white paper anytime soon? Or should we just rely on your "simple guide" to "Corvair Oil Selection Guide" in your website?

The ZDDP is reduced in the CJ-4, but not seriously. Still ample and better than playing chemist. CK-4 is also appropriate. Although these are slight reduced ZDDP, the base oil is stronger to meet the newer tests.

I'll look at what needs updating one of these days.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: junkyardog ()
Date: November 10, 2019 09:33AM

richard1 Wrote:
> Although I don't see the actual data like they used to post, the Z Rod is much more appropriate. The Signature series would be for modern cars.
>
> Check the link in my signature for more details if you want them

Thank you.

Date: November 10, 2019 09:33AM

mtmouse Wrote:
> Oh Boy, an Oil thread!!!smileys with beer
> joe

Lol!

Date: November 10, 2019 10:11AM

Hi Richard, I found the article. [540ratblog.wordpress.com]
Being new I guess I latched on to "this must be the best oil because of how high it is in the list" I didn't have time to do more research than I already had. (LEAKING OIL).
Honestly, I used to keep it simple for both bikes and car. Very much like others have posted (bikes especially).
Reading this info on cars, particularly classic ones is very different though. I want to keep this car running as well as it is now. I haven't finished reading your research yet and am still trying to absorb "Bob's". It would be better to have more than a working knowledge of oil as both your and "Bob's" writings go into depth to the point where I am looking up words in the dictionary.confused smiley
Another person commented on it being important to specify the use of your car and the temps you live in and oil for seasonal changes.
I live in NY, I drive it not at all when it snows (3-4 months out of the year). In the other 9 months it is a weekend car. I have put very few miles on it. I only know the 20K is supposed to be original miles,I just got it this fall so I can't speak to rebuilds or anything like that. If I get out to PA and the Corvair mechanic says all is well, I would love to drive longer distances to a show. Sorry, I'm getting off-track here.
So what do you think? You are the Corvair guy. I hope any one out there finds it interesting to read. Once you all synthesize it, I will be here doing the easy part and hoping for KISS responses.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 10:16AM by junkyardog.

Date: November 10, 2019 10:19AM

richard1 Wrote:
> Mobil 1, 0w40 European Blend looks like a good option for those who want something more viscous in hot weather, while pumping well in the cold. With 1000 ppm of phosphorous,
>
> Two interesting somewhat negative points are the 1.34 sulfated ash, which could form more engine deposits, and the 3.6 cp HTHS, which is fine, but exactly the same as the Amsoil product mentioned at the beginning of this thread.
>
> Other comments
>
VR1Shade's put this into my recent engine rebuild. Valvoline racing oil 20w/50W with zinc.
>
>
> Sorry to burst a bubble, but putting an oil more viscous than recommended by the factory in a newly rebuilt engine means one of two things:
> -Either the engine is not built to original specs
> -The person does not understand oil flow vs tolerance.
> Either way, I've seen too many engines destroyed to not comment on that practice.I usually see it when someone is covering up for not properly rebuilding.
>
>
540rat
>
>
>
> There is a lot of interesting information in that study, and I respect the time put into it, but it does not consider what happens once the oil has begun to degrade, nor, as I remember, the temperatures at the sliding points.I may have mentioned other things in previous posts about it.
>
> Of note is that almost any 10W-30 on the shelves today is better than those of the 60's. It's matter of degree how much you want to protect your engine. The ones that aren't better are the single grades and the ones you find at convenience stores and Dollar stores.(in general).
Hi, I just saw that ou read the article. What are sliding points?

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 10, 2019 02:03PM

Richard1 wrote:

"For racing, 5W-50 is much better than 20W-50, both on startup and at higher temps. At about 110ºC, the 5W-50 is more viscous than the 20W-50."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the risk of sounding stupid I've been under the impression that a big spread in numbers for engine oil is not good. For example 10-30 is okay but 10-40 is a bit too much of a spread. In that line of thought 5-50 one of the biggest spread I've ever heard of.

Like a lot of impressions with oil I don't know where I picked it up but it stuck in my head and I've even repeated it to others.

When it's hot and I pull the dipstick and the oil is like water I can't come to grips with the idea that it's doing it's job.

I always try to learn something from these oil threads.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 10, 2019 04:06PM

At the risk of sounding stupid I've been under the impression that a big spread in numbers for engine oil is not good. For example 10-30 is okay but 10-40 is a bit too much of a spread. In that line of thought 5-50 one of the biggest spread I've ever heard of.

You are right if you are talking about mineral oils or even Group III synthetics to a point. But a good PAO 5W-50 does not use polymers, so there is no problem with the spread (just costs a bit more).

And the higher the spread, the flatter the viscosity curve as it heats up.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: November 10, 2019 05:58PM

I still have SJ/CH4 rated Delo 400 10/30. I found a flat of gallon jugs at an old Chevron bulk plant. I have a couple left. That said I have been using Brad Penn.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 10, 2019 07:13PM

Richard1wrote:

"You are right if you are talking about mineral oils"...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, that eases my mind. I am usually talking about mineral oils. I'm usually a little behind the times.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 11, 2019 11:35AM

I just bought 3 gallons of Shell Rotella 10W30 Diesel from O'Reilly's. They store it in the back, not on the display shelves. Also got 2 AC Delco PF53 filters for the More Door oil changes. Spin-on adapter goes on at next oil change.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.