Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Right Stuff for oil pan gasket sealer?
Posted by: Westds ()
Date: November 06, 2019 08:20AM

Has anyone used the Right Stuff on their oil pan gasket with success? I recently changed my engine oil from Rotella T5 to T6 full synthetic. I now notice the oil pan gasket drips about a drop a day or less. So in a week there is a small spot of oil on the garage floor. I am using the rubberized gasket and used high temp sealer. It almost works. Need advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Right Stuff for oil pan gasket sealer?
Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: November 06, 2019 08:44AM

my experience with rubber and silicone is that they typically dont mix or hold up very well.

have you considered a cork gasket with permatex high tack spray adhesive?

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 06, 2019 09:17AM

BEWARE there are two types of the "Right Stuff".

One is a quick set-up and there is NO WAY you are going to get all the Corvair pan bolts in before it sets up!!

The other type is slower set up for more "working time", BUT you should wait a couple of hours before putting oil back in the engine for the best seal.

I have a tube of the SLOW set up Right Stuff, but haven't gotten around to using it. By the end of the month I'll change the oil and use the slow Right Stuff with an aluminum pan and thicker composite gasket from Calif. Covair.

Right Stuff gets good reviews, but time will tell.

I like Permatex High Tack on the top cover because it stays flexible and maintains a seal as the dissimilar metals expand and contract . I WOULD NOT use it on an oil pan gasket since the gasket is submerged in oil and spray tack was not designed for that.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: November 06, 2019 11:39AM

Personally if I was using Right Stuff, I would not use a gasket. It is designed to be the sole sealing item. Newer engines oil pans are sealed in this way.

I have good success in non corvair applications with Right Stuff used with out gaskets.

With that being said, I also have had no leaks with Gasgacinch and a good quality gasket.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: November 06, 2019 11:46AM

I tore down an engine once where the oil pan and top block cover only had RTV sealant and no gasket. Fortunately, whoever built that engine knew how to properly use the stuff.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: November 06, 2019 11:48AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BEWARE there are two types of the "Right Stuff".
>
> One is a quick set-up and there is NO WAY you are going to get all the Corvair pan bolts in before it sets up!!
>
> The other type is slower set up for more "working time", BUT you should wait a couple of hours before putting oil back in the engine for the best seal.
>
> I have a tube of the SLOW set up Right Stuff, but haven't gotten around to using it. By the end of the month I'll change the oil and use the slow Right Stuff with an aluminum pan and thicker composite gasket from Calif. Covair.
>
> Right Stuff gets good reviews, but time will tell.
>
> I like Permatex High Tack on the top cover because it stays flexible and maintains a seal as the dissimilar metals expand and contract . I WOULD NOT use it on an oil pan gasket since the gasket is submerged in oil and spray tack was not designed for that.

I used the slow setup right stuff on a turbo400 auto trans and it saved me. I must have changed the gasket 3 times using other stuff, kept leaking. Went on Google about it and somebody said "try the Right Stuff". I put it on the pan, then a rubber cork gasket and the another bead on the gasket. I then lightly torqued the pan on, waited 24 hours, then tightened a little more watching to be sure the gasket wasn't "pushing out". Then I filled it with fluid. Doesn't leak a drop.

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: November 06, 2019 12:07PM

I used the Right Stuff on both sides of both (block to spacer and spacer to pan) of my thin cork gaskets. Works great, no leaks, and when I removed the last one to add the spacer it came off the block and pan easily.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: November 06, 2019 01:34PM

I use cork/rubber gaskets (a little thicker than sold by vendors), with Gasket Shellac on both sides and metal, flattened pan, locktite on 1/4"longer bolts. tightened by a 6 year old with a 1/4"ratchet, Not a drip for 7 years or so.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: November 06, 2019 06:39PM

can anybody list the pn for the slowwww , drying RIGHT STUFF , used for our flat 6 engine oil pans ?? thanks much , al

Date: November 06, 2019 06:59PM

beenzo2since71 Wrote:
> can anybody list the pn for the slowwww , drying RIGHT STUFF , used for our flat 6 engine oil pans ?? thanks much , al

Here ya go --- 90 minute cure time. DO NOT USE THE ONE MINUTE CURE RIGHT STUFF unless you are very fast.

[www.permatex.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 06, 2019 09:08PM

66vairman
I like Permatex High Tack on the top cover because it stays flexible and maintains a seal as the dissimilar metals expand and contract . I WOULD NOT use it on an oil pan gasket since the gasket is submerged in oil and spray tack was not designed for that.

You made me look that up, as I use High Tack all the time, but in a dauber can, not spray. And I use it for oil holding gaskets, like oil pans, timing chain covers (and in Buicks this holds back oil pressure just like the rear cover of the Corvair engine), rear Corvair covers, top covers, etc. Contact type adhesive, apply, let dry, assemble, remove all the tiny "hairs" that are stringing everywhere....Ha!eye popping smiley

I've never seen the spray version. I do use the spray copper coat on paper gaskets also. Sometimes it is which product is closer to my hand at the time....winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 07, 2019 09:21AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
>
66vairman
> I like Permatex High Tack on the top cover because it stays flexible and maintains a seal as the dissimilar metals expand and contract . I WOULD NOT use it on an oil pan gasket since the gasket is submerged in oil and spray tack was not designed for that.
>
>
> You made me look that up, as I use High Tack all the time, but in a dauber can, not spray. And I use it for oil holding gaskets, like oil pans, timing chain covers (and in Buicks this holds back oil pressure just like the rear cover of the Corvair engine), rear Corvair covers, top covers, etc. Contact type adhesive, apply, let dry, assemble, remove all the tiny "hairs" that are stringing everywhere....Ha!eye popping smiley
>
> I've never seen the spray version. I do use the spray copper coat on paper gaskets also. Sometimes it is which product is closer to my hand at the time....winking smiley

I like the spray can version of High Tack because it covers the gasket evenly and on ALL SIDES (hang the gasket by a wire and cover area to catch over spray). I let it dry a few minutes between multiple coats before applying the gasket. This helps the cork or composite gaskets resist absorbing fluid. It's the only fix on V8's with a coolant path from the intake manifold to the head that I found would reliably stop coolant weeping through the gasket.

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: November 07, 2019 05:39PM

thank you / 66 vairman . I will have to try your 25228 RIGHT STUFF, after I adjust 2 swing arms on the trike . thanks again , al

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.