Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Corvair Museum is Moving!
Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: November 06, 2019 05:49AM

The Corvair Museum is Moving!

The Corvair Museum, currently located in Decatur, Illinois since its inception two years ago, is moving. Our museum in Decatur will close on November 20 giving us time to move the collection to the new site on Route 66, south of Springfield, Illinois. We will reopen the Corvair Museum on December 1 at our new site at 10041 Palm Road - a.k.a. Route 66 - in Glenarm, Illinois.

In addition to being much less expensive for us to operate, our new modern facility is expected to draw many more visitors because of its close proximity to popular tourist destinations in the Springfield area. Attractions include the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, Lincoln Home National Historic Site, Lincoln's Tomb and War Memorial State Historic and more – all just minutes away.

The Springfield area is served by Allegiant, American and United Airlines with multiple daily flights connecting to Chicago, Dallas / Fort Worth, and Punta Gorda Airport.

The museum’s new location also has the benefit of being easily accessible from Interstate 55 - the main corridor between Chicago, St. Louis and New Orleans.

Thanks to all who have visited. As we said when we started the Corvair Museum, it will be ever changing!

Mike Hall, President
Corvair Preservation Foundation

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Museum is Moving!
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 06, 2019 07:59AM

What is the square footage of the new location as compared with current?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 06, 2019 08:07AM

Here's the listing

[www.loopnet.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 06, 2019 08:08AM

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 06, 2019 08:17AM

[goo.gl]

Re: The Corvair Museum is Moving!
Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: November 06, 2019 11:41AM

Looks like there are plenty of hotels within 15 minutes. Lots of restaurants of different types to chose from. A nearby campground for whales and an amusement park for those who go in for such things.

Posted by: 1963RedBrier ()
Date: November 06, 2019 12:18PM

Are we sharing the building with another group? Is the rent cheaper?

Date: November 06, 2019 12:30PM

Yes, CPF will be one of three tenants in the front building shown in Matt's post. We'll have the center section. We don't have as much space as we had in Decatur but the rent will be only 40% of what we were paying there.

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: November 06, 2019 01:20PM

The Corvair Museum shell game. smiling smiley For me, a destination car museum would be one that was multi-marque. If I was driving by, I might stop at a small, single-marque museum, but I doubt I'd make it a destination trip. I don't consider the other local attractions destination worthy, either.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: November 07, 2019 03:16AM

"As we said when we started the Corvair Museum, it will be ever changing!"

Which I understood to mean that the displays would change. I wonder if the above statement well captures the significance of the move; and if so, whether continual changes like this are wise? Brochures get printed and distributed, there is loss of place-recognition, there are transportation costs; risks of damage to displays, etc.

Steve

Date: November 07, 2019 05:52AM

Folks, the Corvair Museum is moving so that we can continue to exist.
We have been hoping that the Corvair community would be much more supportive financially. We offer annual supporting Memberships - We would love to see an enthusiastic response. Please become an annual supporter!
The Corvair Museum cannot exist at all unless Corvair enthusiasts support it with donations to keep the lease paid and the doors open each month. We have a limited amount of money to spend hoping that it will attract more interest in creating a long term endowment to help insure a more stable future.

This new location costs considerably less per month than the one in Decatur and we are hoping that it's more accessible location will help provide more income from visitors, but we know that admissions will never pay the actual costs of this Museum.

What we require are enthusiast's donations to help pay for each months expenses. If folks would make a regular donation to the Museum each month we would be able to plan a long-term future for the Corvair Museum's existence.
If just 1000 Corvair Enthusiasts donated $100 per year - each year we would be able to acquire our own building and make our Museum a permanent part of our community.

Please become a supporting Member.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: November 07, 2019 08:03AM

THANK YOU Dan! I could not have said it better myself.

As the treasurer of the CPF, I can tell you that the CPF are OK financially. If our donations continue at a historic pace, we can maintain at the new location. The previous location was not sustainable and the owner was not at all flexible. Having our museum co-located with another automotive museum is ideal. We are continuing to look at options. At this time, we had to make a move to maintain financial stability. The new facility is on Route-66 and has interstate highway frontage. It was either move or close. We are excited about the move and hope all of you will consider participating in the Springfield CORSA mini-convention next June.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: November 07, 2019 08:33AM

Who does the museum business identify as the target audience for the museum and what is the plan for reaching the members of this audience?

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: November 07, 2019 11:45PM

I have visited the Decatur, museum twice on other trips and it has been great to see all the changes in the exhibits. My home is in San Diego, so I traveled at least 2000 miles one way. Yes it was part of other tours/trips.

So what are the 2 other club/museums sharing the building?

BTW, I like the Route 66 location. Who has not dreamed of a Route 66 trip? I did about 85% of Route 66 about 7 years ago.

Last observation about road trips: Some of the most interesting stops on the road have been simple, sudden stops at local attractions. Not the "destination" attractions many of us seek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 11:49PM by john.jackson.

Date: November 08, 2019 06:19AM

Although slightly off-topic, this is a good time to point out that the Corvair Society of America (CORSA) and Corvair Preservation Foundation (CPF) are financially independent from each other. Lots of CORSA members think a portion of their dues help to defray the cost of maintaining the Corvair Museum. But that's not the case.

While CORSA and CPF are joined at the hip administratively, they have separate bank accounts and accounting books. They file separate tax returns. The IRS isn't fond of corporations like CORSA transferring their money to their 501(c)(3) affiliates because it smacks of money laundering. We certainly don't want to get on their radar by doing that! So, if you want to help the CPF (and the Corvair Museum), please donate directly to the CPF.

Here's another thing worth mentioning. Over the past couple of years, it may seem that we've been relying solely on CORSA members to support the CPF. And it's true that there has been a lot of pleas to that effect. But we've also reached out to organizations outside the Corvair community.

We put in applications for grants and sent sponsorship request packages to more than 70 companies in the automotive industry, including parts suppliers, antique car insurance companies, the UAW, General Motors and more. I can share the complete list if you like. I can't say we've been successful in that area, but it was worth a shot.

You certainly don't need to be a member of CORSA to support the CPF. And you can be sure that your donations to the CPF won't be siphoned off to pay CORSA's bills. Again, I'd like to point out that the two organizations are financially independent from each other.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 06:22AM by Allan Lacki.

Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: November 08, 2019 04:19PM

I think the smile.amazon.com is a great way to contribute.

I have my company now buying all amazon purchases through smile which benefit the CPF. We buy most of our equipment through Dell, but we buy quite a bit through Amazon. Maybe a few more business can do the same.... as it does not cost you anything extra to use smile.

Starting last month, all Brown Injection and Fiberlink Telecommuncaiton purchases are made with smile.amazon.com and was surprised by the amount of items that made a contribution. I know this will not solve all the CPF money issues, but I am hopeful.

Ted

**NEW** Dual and Four TBI KITS are now available.

Ted Brown
Anderson, SC
[www.Corvair-EFI.com]
Brown Injection Facebook
68 Monza Convert Auto - EFI
61 Loadside Auto - EFI/Smart DIS
61 Rampside - 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 Speed - Bad Motor

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: November 08, 2019 04:33PM

Thank you Ted! We appreciate your efforts!

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 09, 2019 11:06PM

I think that the "Route 66" location is probably the best for the museum!

As an 'old dude' I can recall a trip ON Route 66 when I was 10 years old. My Mom, Dad, and I got in our 1954 Chevy and drove from Indianapolis to central Illinois, picked up Route 66 and headed for California! eye popping smiley

Dad was a foreman at Alison's and got 3 weeks of vacation. We planned a week to get there, a week to stay and visit Dad's two brothers who had move there years ago. They lived in the LA area and my cousin and I got to visit Disneyland (open but not quite finished). We took the "North Route" home the last week, going to Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Wyoming and on to Chicago and back to Indy! smileys with beer

There were plenty of things to stop and see, and now that I am retired I may want to do the Route 66 trip (as much as is possible) again! I am sure I will stop at the Corvair Museum! eye rolling smiley

My grandsons really like my 1967 Monza 4-Door and I may take them to the museum next summer! grinning smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: November 09, 2019 11:26PM

Great work!

I want to visit and that location is as good as any in the Midwest.

I have to ask though, I do not see “Route 66” on the map anywhere near that location.

I see 55.

Is it smart to say it’s location wrong as we are promoting it?

Maybe I need another map?

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD/Catlett, VA

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Date: November 10, 2019 09:55AM

I'm from Pennsylvania, so I'm not familiar with the area. But the new museum location is on Palm Road, which parallels I-55. They are right next to each other. Here's some information about Palm Road:

Route 66 had at least three different alignments through this section of Illinois over its history.

From what I've read, one of the first alignments, which lasted from 1921 to 1926, is a bit east of Palm Road. It's original name was "Old Carriage Way". It goes from East Lake Shore Drive and New City Road. It still exists. The northern end is still called "Old Carriage Way" and the south end is called Old Route 66. [www.hollandsentinel.com]

Then, around 1926, Route 66 was realigned quite a bit west of Palm Road and took the same path as Illinois Route 4. That lasted four years.

In 1930, Route 66 was realigned once again and, from what I can determine, Route 66 then followed the alignment now held by Palm Road.

To get on the post-1930 alignment of Route 66, you take I-55 out of Springfield, cross over Lake Springfield and then take Exit 88. Make a right onto Palm Road. And that's the post-1930 version of Route 66. [www.historic66.com]

The museum's neighbor at 9683 Palm Road - the Double J Campground - claims to be located right on Route 66. [doublejcampground.com]

Also, if you look closely on Google Maps, there is a very small stretch of a road that's clearly labelled as "Old Route 66". It serves a marina on Lake Springfield. It leads right into Palm Road.

So, take your pick!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.