Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
In Car Diff adjustment
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 05, 2019 07:02PM

Some time ago there was a thread about adjustment with the side adjusters. Well I had to do that very thing today on a car, because the o-rings were leaking. OH, they just happened to be factory quad rings!

What I am going to show is what I mentioned in the other thread about marking and adjusting the side adjusters. I will talk about one side at a time starting with the driver's side.

This first picture shows the mark I made after removing the lock tab and you can see the alignment.

I remove the sleeve replace the o-ring and the axle seal. I clean the area where the o-ring goes in and install the adjuster. But before I installed the adjuster and after I got the adjuster loose I tightened the adjuster and with little pressure it easily went past the original marked spot. When I installed the adjuster I went past the original spot by the one notch that I mentioned. One notch is described as turning the lock tab over and the alignment mark going under the tab as you see in the below picture.

I then go to the other side, put my mark on the adjuster remove then change the o-ring and the axle seal like the other side.

Going back together I do the same as the other side and I tighten the adjuster one notch tighter. This actually counters the adjustment change that was made on the other side keeping the backlash the same and at the same time putting the needed preload on the bearings.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.