Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Heater Box Removal
Posted by: lalkie01 ()
Date: November 05, 2019 08:39AM

I have a 65 corsa and need to remove the rear end of long heater duct. C9291R appears to be the part number from clarks. This is the piece under the engine that goes under the small plate at the rear for the tunnel. I can't seem to get the the end piece off the long piece. I have removed all the screws I can find. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heater Box Removal
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 05, 2019 08:54AM

I believe you have to loosen up the screws on the long tunnel panel that are close to the short panel. Then the short panel can slide out from under it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 05, 2019 09:35AM

lalkie01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a 65 corsa and need to remove the rear end of long heater duct. C9291R appears to be the part number from clarks. This is the piece under the engine that goes under the small plate at the rear for the tunnel. I can't seem to get the the end piece off the long piece. I have removed all the screws I can find. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

A picture would help, but are your talking about the tunnel plastic duct? C9291r is a metal collar that goes on the tunnel duct. A flexible hose from the heater box fits over the collar.

AFAIK you have to pull out THE ENTIRE plastic tunnel heating duct as it was built as one assembly. The only part that is separate is up front that goes up to the heater defrost diverter.

The long plastic tunnel duct has at least two screws holding it in and a strap at the back end were the hose goes on.

The duct is usually dirty and sometimes greasy. Simple Green, coat hangers and rags will clean it up. No more smelly heater.

Date: November 05, 2019 03:34PM

Thanks 66vairman. I will have to pull the entire plastic heater ducting. It looked like the piece on the end would just slip out but that does not appear to be the case. Thanks for the help. Larry

Date: November 05, 2019 05:48PM

lalkie01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks 66vairman. I will have to pull the entire plastic heater ducting. It looked like the piece on the end would just slip out but that does not appear to be the case. Thanks for the help. Larry

Your welcome - note the back part of the duct the hose goes on has an extra plastic cover to protect the duct from road debris. The cover piece is stapled on the duct and can appear to be separate.

There is a "Z" bracket attached to the rearward part of the duct that is screwed into the floor pan. I've seen a few ducts broken were the bracket is attached when folks missed the screw and tried to force the duct out.

After you get the belly pans off and remove the screws holding in the duct, it should move back a inch or so and drop out. Don't wack the front end on the garage floor as it falls out to prevent cracking the decades old plastic.

Date: November 05, 2019 06:03PM

Here is a pic of the back end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 06:05PM by 66vairman.

Attachments:
Date: November 06, 2019 06:09PM

Thanks for the additional information. The screw for the screw hole you have circled is broken but the hole is fine. I just have to get the broken screw out. The z bracket is fine. The metal collar appears to be in good shape. Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.