Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Exhaust tubes
Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: November 03, 2019 06:25PM

I had to chip the old donut gaskets off the tubes today took a while but got them cleaned and ready for new ones but a couple of the tubes felt a little loose is there something I need to do or will they tighten back up when I install the new manifolds thanks for any instruction. Mike

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exhaust tubes
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 03, 2019 06:29PM

They'll tighten up... but some will pull out and coat with exhaust paste.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: November 03, 2019 06:39PM

Thanks Matt. Any tricks to the manifold install?

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 03, 2019 07:08PM

Just tap and tighten several times.... not just once..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: November 03, 2019 09:39PM

I hit the manifold relatively hard with a rubber mallet and keep checking the nuts until they don’t tighten anymore between hitting it all over with the mallet.

Good luck.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 04, 2019 06:41AM

I have many different sockets and I use them to tap into the head side opening. you only want a .001". If you try to go to big then the sleeve will just split. After doing that I still use a little muffler cement when I put them back in. Just make sure that you put them in straight and also make sure the flat is parallel with the stud.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.