Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Anybody ever break a bolt boss on a P/G
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: November 03, 2019 03:13PM

The boss that bolts to the trans support.

Is it weldable/fixable?

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody ever break a bolt boss on a P/G
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 03, 2019 04:10PM

I broke them off when I changed to solid mounts in my '63.
You could weld them back on but the transmission would have to be torn down to the bare case.
My solution was to put a 4-speed in it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 03, 2019 04:44PM

It depends on where the break is. Most parts like that could be welded right back on. I would have to see the break in order to know what to recommend as far as disassembly.

At a minimum all you would have to do is remove the front pump cover, I think there is an o-ring in there.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 03, 2019 05:57PM

Aluminum welding is different than steel welding is different than cast iron welding.
I once broke a differential case (cast iron) trying to pull it to the engine using bolts.
As Ken said, it most likely broke off as 1 piece and can probably be rewelded back in place.
Picture?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 03, 2019 06:39PM

Aluminum welds really great but it dissipates heat so quickly that you will get the whole case pretty hot welding it. It is thin in that area so you might get lucky and be able to just take the pump out like Ken said but I wouldn't risk it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 04, 2019 05:57AM

I have now had 3 cars with Powerglides that had broken bosses. Always on the Passenger side.

One, I had welded, the other two were fixed with a section of conduit, and JB Weld....worked fine (Instructions were in the Tech Guide, or on here, I think)

Eric P>
DeWitt, IA

Date: November 04, 2019 08:17AM

Here they are, what do you think

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
House Springs, Missouri

Attachments:

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 04, 2019 09:56AM

That one looks like it could be welded. One of mine (that was welded) broke into the sealing area on the big O-ring on the pump housing.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 04, 2019 11:02AM

That is an easy weld for someone. Do you still have the piece that broke off? If not it will be more work drilling and tapping.
If you have the piece I would consider not even pulling the front cover off.

If you don't have the piece then still don't pull the cover until after the repair is done.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 04, 2019 12:45PM

Is it in the car?
If so and at the risk of sounding hokey I wonder about epoxy to attach the missing piece, then drilling out the threads, then using a nut on the back side. So it effectively becomes a bolt and a nut with the PG case a spacer. Put that one in last with as much washer as you can fit, maybe even grind the washer back so it fits in the corner without turning.
It seems like there's more than half still there.
It goes along with 3 out of the 4 bolts still good.

Do you think it broke off because the steel bolt was galled to the aluminum
or...?

Maybe it still being in the car is a dumb question because why else would you be removing the bolts.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2019 12:46PM by JimBrandberg.

Date: November 04, 2019 02:52PM

IT is out of the car.

I just rebuilt the engine, and was reinstalling when it broke.

I put the bolt in by hand about 5 turns, and then put an air wrench on it. It turned about 2 more turns then stopped. I did not want to force it, so I backed out the bolt and tried again. It stopped again. I went to get a thread chaser and when I got back, the broken piece was on the floor, so I pulled the engine back out so as to decide how to proceed.

After on the floor, I tried the bolt in the other holes and it would not go past the stopping point. I put a thread chaser on it and it ran until the stopping point and it to stopped.

I have a "new" bolt, but I want to fix the break first.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 05, 2019 05:09AM

I have air wrenches but hardly ever use them. I like the feel both coming out and going in. I'm in the minority these days I'm sure.

O/T, I absolutely hate the self drilling sheetmetal screws with the hex head. They go in a lot easier than they come out.

I'd like to hear what you decide with the heat and o-ring considerations. Of course welding is better...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 05:10AM by JimBrandberg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.