Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Suspension bushings good or bad
Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: November 02, 2019 06:33AM

I have about 1200 miles on rebuilt front suspension. Still have original springs but bushings all new. I have developed a squeak that I cannot find and have spent hours checking over everything to make sure all is torqued and set correctly. Im starting to suspect the lower control arm bushing is the issue. I replaced this with a rubber replacement from Clarks. Has anyone had issues with these bushings? Does it make sense to switch to the performance bushings ? If I just replace one lower control arm bushing with a performance bushing and leave the rest alone, will that cause any issues?

Thanks
Ron

Ron62
1967 500 Coupe 110 PG
Residing in Massachusetts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suspension bushings good or bad
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 02, 2019 06:43AM

I don't have an answer but can't help wondering if it's on a '62 where it's just a bolt or on a '67 where it's a camber eccentric.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: November 02, 2019 06:49AM

This is on a 67 coupe

Date: November 02, 2019 07:59AM

I was thinking about the way an A-arm inner bushing works.

The outer shell is pressed into the A-arm so it should remain fixed.
The inner shell is a sleeve that should be fixed by the bolt squeezing the ends.
Then when the A-arm pivots any movement should be between either the inner rubber and it's sleeve or the outer rubber and it's sleeve. So what's to squeak in a rubber to metal connection?
If on the other hand if either the inner or outer metal sleeve is not fixed there can be metal turning against metal which can squeak.
Are you sure that the inner sleeve is a proper length so the bolt squeezes the ends so it can't turn?

Is there a way to get some silicone in there to see if the squeaking goes away temporarily? Some silicones are not so good for rubber, I used CRC on my racing fan belts. I'm just trying to think of a way to isolate your problem area.

An unrelated thought comes to mind. How about loosening the nut holding the camber bolt, Jacking under the A-arm until the suspension is holding the car up and then tightening the nut. In other words tightening the bushing inner sleeve at ride position.

Another unrelated thought is the coil spring ends correctly clocked in their pockets.

Maybe I'm not thinking correctly about bushings and someone else will weigh in.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: steve57 ()
Date: November 02, 2019 08:14AM

The lower control arm bushings in my 69 both failed. They were from Clark’s and about 3years old with just a few thousand miles on them. The rubber was squeezed out on one side. The inner sleeve was rubbing on the outer shell making a squeaking noise. Replaced with some from California Corvair parts, looked just like the Clark’s bushings. My opinion is the rubber was too soft and not bonded to metal parts properly. All removal and installation procedures followed per Shop Manual.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 02, 2019 09:13AM

steve57 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The lower control arm bushings in my 69 both failed. They were from Clark’s and about 3years old with just a few thousand miles on them. The rubber was squeezed out on one side. The inner sleeve was rubbing on the outer shell making a squeaking noise. Replaced with some from California Corvair parts, looked just like the Clark’s bushings. My opinion is the rubber was too soft and not bonded to metal parts properly. All removal and installation procedures followed per Shop Manual.

Hmmmm - This discussion came up by Statovair on March 9, 2014. The Clark's bushings were coming apart and the forum conclusion was that the rubber was NOT properly bonded (vulcanized) to the inner and outer shell. Clark's replied that the rubber is NOT bonded per original type.

I found some NOS bushings and they sure looked bonded to me. I like Clark's, but once in a while they goof.

Date: November 02, 2019 10:38AM

If the rubber is bonded to the inner and outer shell where do you get rotation?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 02, 2019 11:44AM

The rubber twists. That is why it is critical to tighten the bushings when the car is sitting at ride height. If you tighten them at full droop you get too much twist in the rubber and damage the bushings.
Do NOT use the performance bushings in the lower control arms if you are talking the solid nylon ones. The lower control arm moves in more than one plane so the solid ones will make it bind. You can use them in the upper control arms.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: November 02, 2019 12:01PM

So if the rubber is questionable, and the nylon bushings are too stiff, what are folks using to rebuild these control arms? I know corvair underground used to produce urethane bushings. Would these be a better choice ?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 02, 2019 12:05PM

Poly works well!! BUT will squeak... but lube takes care of it...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 02, 2019 12:57PM

I heard Lon was still selling them.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: November 02, 2019 02:03PM

So if I want to stay with rubber (oem), are there other choices out there besides our normal corvair venders?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 02, 2019 02:19PM

Parts all come from same factory... most likely!

Vairchet bought from these people... but now prefers NOS only!

Complete front suspension kits are available for late model Corvairs from Kanter Auto Products (yes, I've done business with them and yes they're quality components):

[www.kanter.com]

I've bought parts from this guy as well (a bit more of a complete kit than Kanter):

[RQAAOSwzgRWy9fb&vxp=mtr" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 02, 2019 04:45PM

After closer inspection today I notice that the control arm making the noise has a lot more movement than the other side of the car. I feel the bushing has most likely failed. It was good for about 1000 miles.
So the choice now is to stay with oem or move to poly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.