Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Steering Stabilizer
Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: October 31, 2019 03:21PM

Has anyone installed or familiar with a steering stabilizer on a Corvair? If so, good or bad experience?

It just has that old car steering.

I'm spoiled driving a modern car.

I have a brand new front end, so the issue isn't there.

Thanks,

Murphy

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steering Stabilizer
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 31, 2019 03:26PM

Difference in feel between recirculating ball
steering (old) and rack/pinion steering (new)
won't get fixed with the steering shock. Plus
your new car probably has power steering too.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 31, 2019 04:27PM

It will make it harder to steer if that is what you are after.
Corvairs have excellent steering. If there is a problem it needs to be fixed.
Is your steering box in good shape?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 31, 2019 04:59PM

I put one on the 66 More Door for Donna. The More Door has good front steering components and a rebuilt steering box. All check out by people I trust. Without it, it is light on its tires and quickly moves to any steering command and crosswind condition. She is used to the electric steering of the Malibu and Silverado and the steering damper mimics it. Especially in windy conditions. She drove it to Maggie Valley and had no issues with the winds encountered on the trip by trucks or mother nature. Solid handling ar to her. I enjoy the power steering feel, but it had to be to Donna's liking for her to drive it much.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: October 31, 2019 05:37PM

After what Steve said I thought about it and it makes sense. The stabilizer wont correct anything the steering box is lacking.

The steering box has been rebuilt. The car tracks and steers well, I just find the steering is too light especially at speed. I'm thinking some weight in the trunk may do what I'm looking for.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 31, 2019 05:41PM

You could try a set of my quicker arms.... many say it feels "more modern car like".

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 31, 2019 05:43PM

Does it have a front spoiler? What tires and how much air do you run? Is this the '65 or the '61?
Matts arms would give you something for your increased steering effort unlike a stabilizer.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 05:44PM by joelsplace.

Date: October 31, 2019 06:00PM

I have cut springs and 65 lbs (tire, jack, fluid, a few tools) in the front when I run it without the stabilizer. I also have the 66 Vair front air dam. Still was light. Now when I had 197 lbs in the front, no light steering with myself and Donna riding. Of course, taking right turn into my carport scrubbed right tire on the center fender wheel well lip.

When I put in the standard springs, I will only have the spare tire, jack and handle to see if steering changes. But the stabilizer is staying on for Donna.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 31, 2019 06:00PM

I am sitting here thinking ...What air pressure do you have in your tires? Should be like 20-22 front and 32 rear for radial tires. If the tire pressures are right an air dam and or more weight up front will plant the front end better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 31, 2019 06:11PM

Murphy, What pressures do you have in your tires.

My tires are Goodyear Comfortreads 24 front and 34 rear. Still got to do a contact patch test to prove it is right. But my car never feels like it will be out of control Donna and myself have taken it up to 75 mph. I did it without the stabilizer and about 50 lbs in front. Light but no lighter than at 55. Donna did it with stabilizer and 97 lbs in front. Oh, that was her second drive in it and first above 50 mph. So if it was an issue still she would have told me. She was not impressed with the steering before the stabilizer. Her comments after her first drive pushed me to get the stabilizer knowing the steering was the best it ever would get being mechanical design. Again electric steering has spoiled her. I am not going to consider electric steering for the More Door. Not at $1500.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: October 31, 2019 06:46PM

This is the 61 I am taking about. I run 20-22 front, 30-32 rear. Brand new 185/80r/13 Maxis Tires on the car. Yes air dam on the car.

Im going to try the easy stuff first by putting some weight in the trunk and try it out. If that doesn't work, I'll have to decide on a plan "B".

Been really wet here in the Notheast this week. This weekend I'll give it a test and report back.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Date: October 31, 2019 06:51PM

Add a factory '64 style front sway bar with Clark's nylon bushings. Use Clark's nylon rear control arm bushings and make sure the rear toe is set correctly with good mounts. The EMs without a sway bar are a little vague on the highway. I really like KYB Gas-a-justs on the front but a lot of people think they are too stiff. I haven't found any rear shocks that have enough damping for my taste.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: November 04, 2019 11:53AM

OK, Today I put 110 lbs. of cement block in the trunk to see if it would help with the "light" feeling front end. It did seem to help, but For me at really slow speed the steering was a little tight. Going to remove a couple of the blocks and see how it feels. Just needs a little tweaking.

Now, say I decide to leave some weight in the trunk...should I increase front tire pressure or leave it alone?

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Date: November 04, 2019 12:18PM

To maintain balance you would need to add pressure but how much? You would really need a big parking lot to do some testing in.
No more weight than you are adding you won't exceed the tire's weight capacity at the pressure you are running.
You could try the talcum powder test people suggest but I disagree with how to apply it. I would add at least 4 psi over what gives full contact at static rolling load maybe more.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: November 04, 2019 02:39PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> You could try the talcum powder test people suggest but I disagree with how to apply it. I would add at least 4 psi over what gives full contact at static rolling load maybe more.
=====================================================

Joel... as you drive the tires heat up... Air expands

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 04, 2019 02:42PM

I didn't consider that but is it enough?

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: November 04, 2019 02:44PM

Each vehicle Geographic location is different.... Check the difference after driving 50 miles?

Date: November 04, 2019 02:52PM

That would be good information or at least interesting. When I've cared enough I just play with the pressure until I arrive at what makes it corner the best. On a lot of cars that has been at maximum marked pressure on the tire but my Malibu ended up being around 38psi cold which is under the 44psi max they are marked.
It's been a while since I really did some testing. I usually run max in the rear on Corvairs and lower the fronts from there. Around 10psi difference on EMs with no sway bar, about 6psi on '64s to only about 4psi on LMs with nylon sway bar bushings but I have never did the talc/flour test.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.