Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Crown Manufacturing
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: November 03, 2019 05:48AM

What Phil Said !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 65 Crown Corsa ()
Date: November 03, 2019 01:18PM

Sadly I am another Crown up-grader, the casting of a corvair saginaw is rather thin where the Crown adapter attaches.

I have broken Phils former car a few times, one failure, the first discovered and only fail not my fault, a loose press fit on the pinion shaft bearing of the fancy input shaft that allowed the pinion set shim to burn, killing the setup, wearing out the 3.08 ring gear teeth. (Got the car this way, one owner between Phil and I, broke the worn thin ring gear tooth off within 4 miles of delivery) I rebuilt but had another issue within a few thousand hard miles (it has been 10 yrs, forgot what broke)

Currently the car has a Wills big car saginaw and a stock 65 3:55 open diff that has never been opened, it seems to be holding the power but I sorely miss the posi. No plans to C5 it, love the car configured the way it is!

Currently out road racing (non corvair) a bit preoccupied and having a blast.

Lately, the corvair only comes out on special occasion. Have NEW richmond 3.08 gear set, as well as, most everything to rebuild Phil's fancy diff. Anyone have a fix for the loose bearing fit OR a really nice OEM or fancy replacement?

If he still has it, the crown trans and shifter are still around, in possession of Chuck, not really a internet guy but a true a Corvair addict, ultravan and Kelmark owner, a member of South Fl. Corvairs.

Fancy= CIDCO? Phil, can you fill me in?

Ed
65 Crown/Wills Corsa
WPB Florida

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2019 01:20PM by 65 Crown Corsa.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 03, 2019 01:28PM

Ed...the owner in between us broke the ring gear the first week he owned Vairy.

So anything we (my Dad and I) did to build that trans and diff was null and void.

Very good to hear that you and Vairy V8 are still rocking and rolling out there.

Posted by: 65 Crown Corsa ()
Date: November 03, 2019 01:34PM

Any insight/fix on the loose bearing issue? Is this a thing on other cars?

Ed
65 Crown/Wills Corsa
WPB Florida

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 03, 2019 04:14PM

Maybe a place that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders could repair it. They have to rebuild bad shafts.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: November 06, 2019 07:04AM

I will shelve all my Crown parts when and after I go to the C-5-6 diff. I can't drive too aggressively with that tiny ring gear. Broke on too many on track days and it sucks to get only a dozen or so laps in and POW! Just when you are getting a good feel for a track getting faster and faster.

I need a more bulletproof setup with many more gear options A Jerico will solve that issue. CV8 will never again see the street track only driven as hard and SMOOTHLY as my talent level permits. Way too much fun to thrash this car!

Crown V-8 mid engine conversions were made to GO FAST IMO. To bad they don't hold up well on the track.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 06, 2019 03:56PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe a place that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders could repair it. They have to rebuild bad shafts.

Typically it is done by completely remaking the part, or building up the surface with hard plating.

Eric P
DeWitt, IA
Engineer at Hydraulic Cylinder factory....

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: November 06, 2019 04:32PM

On a Crown, once you figure out which pinion shim you need, you put the shim behind the rear bearing race, cant spin there! A miss match of rubber mounts at the adapter plate and solid in the rear causes twist and breaks the front of the trans. A simple solid mount set up with some bracing solves that issue. Not Dial indicating the Bellhousing causes all kinds of issues. Its all in the set up. Mike

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: November 07, 2019 02:55AM

I'm solid at three point, runout of bell is 7 tho still have issues. last failure was a Lakewood universal joint at speed! Got my attention. Broke all kinds of sh1t! Cambered to a point where it cut a brand new Proxis r888 launched the car bent the radius rod and the lower traverse mount bracket (Crown piece) cracked the diff housing, what a BAD day just as it was getting fun.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.