Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: New Owner Question
Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: October 27, 2019 01:15PM

If they are anything like the GM engine in my boat, yep, they are tough.That little Chevy 4cyl in my 18ft boat just keeps going and going and going. It ain't easy to push a ski boat through the water but that little 3 liter 4 cyl just keeps on going, 4800 rpm all day long. As a rule GM does make good engines. Hoping the Corvair follows the trend.

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You'll soon find out Vairs are just GM engines with no water... Robust

Joe in South Ga
1965 Corsa 2 dr Coupe Turbo 4sp because I love the looks
18ft Chaparral 180 Sport because I live on a lake, seemed like the thing to do
Chevy Pickup to tow boat and tote things
Chevy Cavalier because they drive like a go-cart

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 27, 2019 04:19PM

Joe:

That Mouse House 110 photo I posted is now in the back of my 66 More Door with new pistons and full finned cylinders. Just over 2000 miles now since it got on the road in March. Took a 350 mile one way trip to Maggie Valley earlier this month with Donna driving. Solid Vair now. Has had some issue with ignition but not the basic engine. This engine was a barn find and bought for parts for $150. I think I got my moneys worth out of it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: October 27, 2019 04:32PM

Al, does that Pearl White look as good in person as it does in photos. Mine is the factory gold color (which is really ugly, hate it. Thinking about the Pearl White or Ga pollen yellow. Lol

Joe in South Ga

Date: October 27, 2019 06:19PM

Joe, The Coupe is Cameo Beige. Great color with the Aztec bronze interior.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 28, 2019 05:47AM

I have a cart I use to test run engines out of the chassis. I'd like to make it where I bolt it in but for now I just set the powertrain on 3-8x8s or engine only on 2. You could plop the whole thing on a pallet and run it.

My reasoning is to determine the engine condition. Lots of times they only need oil seals and such to refresh without "going in". Sometimes they only need some head work without going in further. Sometimes they need cylinder work but not the cases split.

There's no end to the things you can do. It's hard to draw the line and can be a matter of philosophy. I like to have as much information as possible. The big question is often "How does it run"?

Just because turbo engines tend to have trouble with valve guides does not mean that's where your particular engine is at.

Perhaps I'm playing devil's advocate with the cheapness factor but it's a consideration. Too often I've seen Corvairs disassembled where so much is undertaken that it never goes back together again.

I live on a dirt road so it's easy for me to get it running and go out for a little drive on just the parking brake with bad tires and such. I have good "test carbs" and a gas can I can swap in a jiffy. That's probably why I'm so partial to testing and evaluation ahead of time. It's a lot easier if you have a hypothesis rather than holding parts in your hand wondering if they're good.

If you go the cheap route and it doesn't work out the engine can come out again. It's much easier the second time when the bolts haven't been in there for 50 years. The carburetor and ignition work is already done. New O-rings and gaskets thrown away are not a big cost.

You mention clutch and throwout bearing but I'd be more mindful of flywheel rivets and pilot bushing.

You know what you're doing, I just thought I'd give you something to think about. We look forward to reading about how it's going as you go along.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 28, 2019 06:16AM

Thanks Jim. I hope I have not given the impression that the first thing I will do is strip the engine into a thousand parts. As you said "Refresh" is kind of my plan. I am just leary of running it until I can be fairly sure of cooling and massive oil leaks. Like I said, I want to clean the cooling area and "Bench Run" it for an hour or so before I start looking at compression tests, valve guide inspections, etc. Really hoping to not have to open engine any further than just oil leaks and cooling but I do feel pretty strongly about not running it for more than a minute without cleaning the cooling areas.
Yes, once it is out of the car it will not go back in until the clutch components are either inspected and I think they will be Ok or they are replaced. I've made that mistake before. "Oh it will be all right" has rarely worked out well for me. Also I have seen and purchased enough "Bike in a box" to know better than to just go head first into tearing it down to nothing. Seems too many stay that way if that is the approach taken.
Right now I am just collecting good advice and information. My plans are subject to change as I learn more about these corvairs.
Thanks

Joe in South Ga

Date: October 28, 2019 06:23AM

Al, so that is Cameo Beige. It sure looks good on that coupe. I do not like the gold that it is currently covered in. I am looking at what is available and have found headliners and carpet available is a light blue. I thought that would look good with either a Pearl White or that Camo Beige. Any chance you can post a larger picture of that coupe so I could get a better look at the colors?
Thanks
Joe

Lane66m Wrote:
> Joe, The Coupe is Cameo Beige. Great color with the Aztec bronze interior.

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: October 28, 2019 06:51AM

mtmouse Wrote:
> Top shroud (all shrouds) will come off to ensure no air blockage from nesting critters, wasps, etc. It has been sitting and I don't want localized hot spots from simple debris that I should have cleaned out.

thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 28, 2019 07:32AM

Matt
Come on Frank... no load.. they run for hours! lower case larry and the boyZ from Chicago proved that decades ago!

Yep, they actually will. Hence my grinning smiley emoji. Original Neoprene (Buna N) o-rings take the hit, but you are going to change them anyway.winking smiley

There was a demonstration of a 60 engine running FULL THROTTLE (no load) with no belt to see when it would seize. Never happened, as the o rings failed at 20 minutes or so, dripping oil caught fire so test was ended. Engine started up again next day just fine.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 28, 2019 07:35AM

Jim
You mention clutch and throwout bearing but I'd be more mindful of flywheel rivets and pilot bushing.

Agreed! I've put many a used clutch disc and pressure plate back into a Corvair with good results. I just use an 8" DA (body air tool-random orbital sander) to roughen up the surface/remove glazing+rust. The clutch action will remove the remainder of the rust.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2019 08:09AM by MattNall.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 28, 2019 06:03PM

No one has, as of yet, mentioned LIFTERS!
The Vair engine has Hydraulic lifters that will most likely be all bled down by now.
Do NOT panic and shut it down right away if you hear clacking going on.
The lifters will take a while(as in possibly several minutes) to pump up, but then they will smooth out.
Sometimes it requires a short drive to get them to load up.
This is another good reason to start it in the car and give it a light run down the road.
Many guys who are new to Vair engines PANIC, shut it down, and tear down the engine.
This is a HUGE mistake, rebuilds can cost a LOT of money, when most of the time they could have just waited until it was totally warmed-up and the clatter would have went away all by itself.
A Vair engine NEEDS to be under load to truly warm up.
Another reason to take her for a spin.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 29, 2019 05:08AM

Someone mentioned deflashing the heads in a previous reply.
When the heads were cast, the factory wasn't very good at removing the excess aluminum or "flash". Some of the cooling air passages were effectively closed off or seriously restricted right from the get go and then accumulated more dust and such in use.
I open them up by hand with a Sawzall blade clamped in a vice grip. It's a little tedious but a very good thing to do.
There's been threads here with before and after pictures that are quite dramatic.
When doing a search you have to open up the time it goes back at the bottom of the page.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: October 29, 2019 06:16AM

Joe: send me a PM with your email address. I will send you a high def photo of the coupe.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: November 05, 2019 06:48PM

Ok, got her home and pressure washed the bottom. Still on the roll back. First pics of the bad. A pic of the worst body rust spot I could find and a pic of the old accident repair where the filler is coming off. I plan to just remove all the old filler, kill the rust and primer for now.
Joe

Joe in South Ga

Attachments:

Date: November 05, 2019 06:51PM

Now for the pretty parts, love these fenders and wheel wells.
Joe

Joe in South Ga

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 05, 2019 06:53PM

Not bad for East Coast

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 05, 2019 06:55PM

A pick of the floor boards, a pic of the left cylinder head and a pic of the trans
Joe

Joe in South Ga

Attachments:

Date: November 05, 2019 07:03PM

Here is a pic of the rear, the rear seat and top of engine. This is where I am starting. I am happy with it. Looks like a fairly solid car to start on.
Joe

Joe in South Ga

Attachments:

Date: November 05, 2019 07:08PM

Ok, last two pics but you guys asked, Send plenty of pictures. So here is the front seats and dash. Have not made any effort in the interior yet. Gonna bug bomb it before I get in there and start. Don't care for spiders.
Joe

Joe in South Ga

Attachments:

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 05, 2019 07:40PM

I see you have the rare (and valuable) air cleaner. That is 1 option I don't see many of on peoples cars.

Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.