Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
turn signal failure
Posted by: deltadave ()
Date: October 15, 2019 07:39AM

Took the Monza for a ride and it's lost the signals. I've not looked at the wiring diagram but it's normal that power to the stop/signal lights use common power. The stop lights work so I'm thinking the switch is the problem. I'm open to any and all opinions before I buy a new switch.

Dave

Middle Tennessee by way of NY

64 Corvair
69 Coupe de Ville
RAM 1500 Hemi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turn signal failure
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 15, 2019 08:01AM

Switch is at the bottom of the column mast... you may have kicked it... or plug came loose.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 15, 2019 08:54AM

The wire that operates the switch mechanically is adjustable. You can lean on your ear and move the cable by hand to see if it makes a difference.
There's a multi-connector that you can probe with an electrical tester pointer.
The switch can be taken apart to clean up the contacts inside. I takes a 1/4" wrench to remove to the bench.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 15, 2019 01:12PM

Bad flasher?
Brake lights wouldn't work if the connector was unplugged.
Very unlikely that the switch would suddenly totally quit left and right.
I'm assuming the linkage is fine since you didn't mention the lever acting funny.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: October 15, 2019 05:18PM

I had issues with mine in one direction only, a few years back.

I remember this thread helped me immensely:

[corvaircenter.com]

Hope that helps you too ---

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: deltadave ()
Date: October 15, 2019 06:17PM

I pulled the wheel and checked the mechanical selector and that is fine, checked to ensure it moved the switch at the bottom of the column and it does. I will unplug and probe the connector and clean the switch and if that doesn't fix the problem I guess a new one is in order. Thanks for the replies.
Dave

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 16, 2019 10:09AM

deltadave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Took the Monza for a ride and it's lost the signals. I've not looked at the wiring diagram but it's normal that power to the stop/signal lights use common power. The stop lights work so I'm thinking the switch is the problem. I'm open to any and all opinions before I buy a new switch.

The EM wiring diagrams aren't the best. If EM is like the LM, then the brake and turn flasher area on DIFFERENT electrical sources. The brake switch power is ALWAYS on as a safety factor. The turn signal flasher only gets electrical power when the ignition key is in the "ON" position. Not sure if it is from a fuse or not on EM's. With the brake lamps lit, move the turn signal lever to signal each side. If the corresponding tail lamp goes dark, but does not blink, then the turn signal switch is working. You have no power to or from the flasher, or maybe just a bad flasher.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 16, 2019 10:49AM

That is correct. EMs have switched turn signal power and the brake switch is always hot.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.