Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
alternator upgrade choices
Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: October 11, 2019 12:52PM

Im planning un upgrading from the stock 37 to a 63 amp 10si alternator. Can anyone who has done this recommend any brand of either rebuilt or new that has held up? Most of the reviews I see on Flaps sites aren't very good.

Thanks
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alternator upgrade choices
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: October 11, 2019 01:03PM

I bought an Internally Regulated High amp alternator from California Corvairs!

It works great!

JMHO!

Dale ????

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: October 11, 2019 01:42PM

Looked at those but the price is a bit on the high side for me.

Ron62
1967 500 Coupe 110 PG
Residing in Massachusetts.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 11, 2019 02:11PM

I have never had any real issues with better rebuilts from major local parts stores.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 11, 2019 03:27PM

If you buy the FLAPS better version you get a longer warranty. I've had to return a few FLAPS rebuilt alternators, but so far none of them were rebuilt 10SI units. Keep in mind a "rebuilt" is only cleaned up and the bad parts replaced.

The best rebuilts are usually done at a small independent shop, but you pay more and the little independent rebuilders are mostly gone now as they can't compete with the FLAPS. The few that remain tend to specialize in old generators and starters that the FLAPS don't carry.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: October 11, 2019 03:38PM

and remember, if you buy a new SI and take the front end off to replace with the Corvair specific front mount, you effectively void any warranty (if they can figure that you opened it up)

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Date: October 11, 2019 04:36PM

Id have to take my chances with the warranty I guess. My car has the original alternator and regulator. I would rather to go an internally regulated version and up the amperage as im adding power hungry accessories.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 11, 2019 04:42PM

If you have time, energy, and some skills (and a local self serve junkyard) go to the yard and purchase a good looking/clean IR alternator assembly. They are pretty easy to assemble using the Corvair specific pulley and front half. Ron, is your car a 62 with a generator still?

Date: October 11, 2019 04:46PM

Hi Tim,
No My car is a 67 Coupe. Sorry should have mentioned that. Wasn't thinking of going the junk yard route only because of the age of a 10si. I dont think they have made them in production for quite some time. I could be wrong of course.

Date: October 11, 2019 05:08PM

I you go to the junkyard, keep in mind the 10SI came in different amperage ratings. Usually cars with A/C have the 65Amps units.

Date: October 12, 2019 01:35PM

not thinking the junk yard route. Rather purchase a good rebuilt or a new one.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 12, 2019 08:05PM

My '91 C3500 doesn't have a 10SI. My '84 Caprice does.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: October 12, 2019 08:15PM

Look for a interchange 7294. Say a 85 Buick Riviera.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 12, 2019 09:08PM

Just get the "used parts emporium" one and put new brushes and bearings in it while you are transferring the pulley/fan/housing. It will last for YEARS!smileys with beer

Unless the unit caught on fire, only the brushes and bearings wear out. Yes, the regulator fails, but at the same rate a new one fails!winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 12, 2019 10:55PM

If you really need the extra Amperage and know how to swap the fan and front case half, you might consider this.

Use a higher amperage 10DN and you don't have to mess with the wiring.

Swap the Corvair specific Alternator parts and reinstall as original. No need to hack up the original wiring.

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 14, 2019 04:33AM

I've just been buying rebuilt Wilson 90-01-3106 63 amp internal regulator from O'Reilly's for $50 and switching the Corvair base. I don't suppose Mister Wilson is happy with my old Corvair core, I'm a menace.

I had one this year that wasn't charging. I put it back to it's original configuration when returning to the store. They tested it and it wasn't charging so they gave me another one and all was well. I don't think I did anything wrong when changing the base...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 14, 2019 05:05AM

Many of the rebuilt real Cover type alternators are now 48 amp version used on AC cars.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: October 14, 2019 06:00AM

A bad Ass Battery and a 100 amp Alt is the way to go. At Idle in the winter with the heater, Lights and wipers on the lights will stay bright, wipers wont slow down. If you Have AC Yes A big Alt. Mike

Date: October 14, 2019 08:51AM

v8vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A bad Ass Battery and a 100 amp Alt is the way to go. At Idle in the winter with the heater, Lights and wipers on the lights will stay bright, wipers wont slow down. If you Have AC Yes A big Alt. Mike

Keep in mind the GM 100Amp alternators had a revised fan and housing to improve cooling that CAN NOT be used with the reverse rotation Corvair. The 10DN 10SI units had a cooling systems are rated for a MAXIMUM 85Amps. On a hot day 65 Amps is about the limit.

Nothing wrong with an aftermarket 100Amp 10SI as long as you don't run it at more than 65Amp continuously with the Corvair alternator fan. Also check the output vs. speed amperage chart - some "high output" modified alternators put out less amperage at low RPM than the old stock units.

Date: October 14, 2019 08:53AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've just been buying rebuilt Wilson 90-01-3106 63 amp internal regulator from O'Reilly's for $50 and switching the Corvair base. I don't suppose Mister Wilson is happy with my old Corvair core, I'm a menace.
>
> I had one this year that wasn't charging. I put it back to it's original configuration when returning to the store. They tested it and it wasn't charging so they gave me another one and all was well. I don't think I did anything wrong when changing the base...

Agreed - that's why I keep the original housing and fan in the original rebuilt box in case I have to return it during warranty.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.