Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Red Line GL-4
Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: October 11, 2019 08:42AM

Anyone use this MT 90 GL-4 gear oil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red Line GL-4
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 11, 2019 09:14AM

Been discussed before. The general consensus based on the Red Line "fine print" is Red line MT 90 is NOT approved for "hypoid" gears (in differential).

This has been complicated by the Red Line expansion of the MT90 lube types, but last time I looked I found "MT 90 lubricants are not approved for use with hypoid gears"

Red Line users have claimed good results with 75W90 NS GL5 - NOTE the "NS" means this is a MODIFIED GL5 that Red Line claims is acceptable in gear boxes because of additives to protect the synchros. Do not use Red Line 75W90 GL5 as it is NOT approved for use in GL4 rated transmissions.

If you are not going racing then I'd go with the Brad Penn (or now called Penn Grade) 80W90 GL4. So far those that use it have no complaints.

Many have used the inexpensive Sta Lube 85W90 GL4, BUT the higher viscosity of the Sta Lube makes shifting bulky until the transaxle warms up, especially when outside temperatures are cooler.

Date: October 11, 2019 12:02PM

Richard Widman - Richard1 here on the CCF has a complete PDF online regarding the Transaxle Lubes for various applications

Worthwhile to read/study the entire document but actual product recommendations are also stated.

I've been running Amsoil MTG = Manual Transmission Gear in my 1965 transaxle

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: October 11, 2019 12:50PM

For those without an AMSOIL aversion, it looks like AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG) would be an excellent choice.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: October 11, 2019 02:25PM

The Redline 75/90 NS works great Must be the NS Mike

Date: October 11, 2019 03:17PM

richard1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those without an AMSOIL aversion, it looks like AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG) would be an excellent choice.

Richard -- I didn't see Penn Grade 80W90 GL4 on your list. Are you familiar with it, any comments.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 12, 2019 06:27AM

We just went through this whole discussion earlier this year, I'm sure a search will bring it up. Mixed opinions on the Red Line offerings.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 12, 2019 06:56AM

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 12, 2019 06:59AM

richard1 Wrote:
> For those without an AMSOIL aversion, it looks like AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG) would be an excellent choice.

What issues if any would this product present when using it in a positraction differential? Some have indicated there could be issues using Synthetic with positraction. I would like to hear your thoughts.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 12, 2019 07:04AM

In a positraction differential mated to a Powerglide?

Gear oil would only be lubricating the differential.

This is a very soon remove and replace in Zonker.

Date: October 12, 2019 09:02AM

Thats what I run in my 61.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Date: October 12, 2019 09:21AM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
> richard1 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > For those without an AMSOIL aversion, it looks like AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG) would be an excellent choice.
>
> What issues if any would this product present when using it in a positraction differential? Some have indicated there could be issues using Synthetic with positraction. I would like to hear your thoughts.

GM flip flopped on using a posi additive in the Corvair. This is complicated since the Corvair posi clutches are steel unlike many of the other GM posi clutch setups. One thing is for sure - old and dirty lube in ANY limited slip differential will cause issues. On Chevy pickups I've always changed the differential lube every 20K miles and never had a problem.

I recall davemotohead has stated he likes a Ford limited slip differential additive and it doesn't seem to cause any shifting issues that some additives can.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: October 12, 2019 09:16PM

I have also mentioned that I have used the Ford positraction additive for many years. If running a powerglide, a GL 5 is ok for diff. The GL 4 is formulated for the brass sycro rings in the trans.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: October 13, 2019 01:36PM

Richard -- I didn't see Penn Grade 80W90 GL4 on your list. Are you familiar with it, any comments.
Looking it over, it looks like a good option for those that want the 80W-90 in a mineral oil.

> What issues if any would this product present when using it in a positraction differential? Some have indicated there could be issues using Synthetic with positraction. I would like to hear your thoughts.

GM flip flopped on using a posi additive in the Corvair. This is complicated since the Corvair posi clutches are steel unlike many of the other GM posi clutch setups. One thing is for sure - old and dirty lube in ANY limited slip differential will cause issues. On Chevy pickups I've always changed the differential lube every 20K miles and never had a problem.

I recall davemotohead has stated he likes a Ford limited slip differential additive and it doesn't seem to cause any shifting issues that some additives can.

I don't have a direct answer on that, as I don't have a Posi to play with or take apart. I do have a drum of additive that we use for preparing all the different viscosities of LSD oils. It works well with CAT and other equipment as well. It is really just generic. Different differentials react with different amounts. We formulate to what works in Nissans, as those are the most sensitive. (according to the noises as you make a U-turn.)

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: October 13, 2019 04:36PM

I used Redline GL4 in my 4 speed and am happy with it!

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Date: October 13, 2019 05:02PM

Richard - Thanks for the comments on Penn Grade 80W90.

I'm not going racing and don't drive the Corvair that much. Mineral oil based lube works for me as I'll change the lube well before it gets worn out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.