Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
O/T: Question About Used Vehicle Rustproofing
Posted by: gbirk1 ()
Date: October 07, 2019 03:12PM

I own a low mileage (57,000) 2012 GMC Sierra Pickup that I would like to keep for as long as possible. Rust will be an enemy where I live in CT. The liquid de-icer they use on the roads here seems to be much more corrosive than salt was.

I have owned the truck for close to three years (approaching it's third winter with me) and during the time I have had it, it has had only very limited driving on treated roads during the last two winters. There is no body rust yet and only a few places of surface rust on the frame where the factory coating on the frame has failed.

Ziebart offers a used vehicle rustproofing that supposedly cleans the underside and frame, applies a rust neutralizer (they call it a rust eliminator), and then applies the rustproofing. They were vague about whether they will do inside rocker panels. The price is $699 including free annual inspections and touch ups for the life of the vehicle.

Due to the age/mileage of the vehicle, there is no warranty against future rust-through. So I am wondering, would this be worth it?

Opinions welcome, especially if anyone has actually used this service.

Thank you in advance!

Gregg Birkholz
Canaan, CT.

1967 Monza 110 PG Convertible
2013 Chevy Malibu (Wife's DD)
1993 Cadillac Deville
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
1997 Mazda Miata STO (Wife's fun car)
1989 Cadillac Deville (parts car)
2008 Buick LaCrosse (DD)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: O/T: Question About Used Vehicle Rustproofing
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: October 07, 2019 03:20PM

Rust never sleeps , we Rust Check , helps, but the brine they use is VERY mean stuff sad smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 07, 2019 05:04PM

This is the product SCTA-BNI.ORG recommends for use on the Bonneville Salt Flats...the ultimate rust testing grounds.

[saltproofing.com]

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: October 08, 2019 05:06AM

I have had my vehicles treated with an oil type based rust proofing and my wife's 2002 has NO rust to speak of even on the underbody. The important thing is to find a place that uses a compound that creeps into crevices and does not harden.

I have it applied every year or at worst every other year about $100-$120. The ones here in the Buffalo area are "Ruststop" and "Krown". I personally am not a fan of Ziebart.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 08, 2019 06:17AM

I used Ziebart many years ago on a full size Dodge Van when it was new, rockers rusted through in several years. They told me it was my fault because I didn't bring it back for the extra $$$$ annual service. Never again. The place you are most likely to get the first rust on yours is the bumpers. They are not real bumpers, the are sheet metal with the real bumpers just behind them. Keep that area as clean as you can. It got Chevy van in 6 years next is the brake lines where they are buried in the frame.

Now on our KIAs, the brake lines are cleaned and coated by the dealer every few years for free.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: 66Monza140 ()
Date: October 08, 2019 11:09AM

Find a place that uses this:Fluid Film
Or, buy a DIY kit if you are able to.
We swear by it (not at it) up here in the salt belt. Had my Tundra done for $149 locally, and it's holds up well.
Depending on your road mileage it will eventually wash off in the wheel well areas, but easy to touch up annually.
$699 is waaay too much, I used to "rustproof" cars and trucks at Tuff-Kote Dinol and could blast one out in under 40 minutes. Warrantee was worth about as much as the paper it was printed on......

"Give'r hell 'til you see God, then back'er down a notch"

'66 Monza 140 4 sp w/A/C...
Western VT

Posted by: gbirk1 ()
Date: October 08, 2019 06:14PM

Great advice. Someone I do business with recommended Fluid Film to me today. He's going to use it on his son's truck.

Gregg Birkholz
Canaan, CT.

1967 Monza 110 PG Convertible
2013 Chevy Malibu (Wife's DD)
1993 Cadillac Deville
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
1997 Mazda Miata STO (Wife's fun car)
1989 Cadillac Deville (parts car)
2008 Buick LaCrosse (DD)

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: October 09, 2019 01:55AM

I buy on sale at menards 2.21 I use four cans every October for last 10 yrs spray and go. No isssues with rust.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.