Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
electrical issue
Posted by: Vairly_there ()
Date: October 07, 2019 04:29AM

Had a weird issue that I have seen twice now. I have a 64 monza and twice, after driving around for a while and then parking it for a few min and then going to start again this happened: I turn the key to "on", the Temp/Press light illuminates (as it always does before tuning the key fully to start) and the quickly goes out and the car is dead. I dont mean it wont start, I mean its like there is no battery there at all. Turning it off and back to on on and nothing, no Temp/Press” light, no even click of an ignition switch when I turn to start. The car has a battery terminal master disconnected with green knob. The first time this happened I thought maybe that had come loose so I went to tighter it and it was already tight so I loosened it and tightened it and the car started normally. Second time it happened I did the same thing and started right up. so i cleaned up the terminals so far and I think I have made this worse in the progress. A few days after cleaning terminals I went to go for a drive and the battery was truly dead. I jumped it and drove for almost an hour. One thing I noticed when driving is that there is now a buzz from the radio speaker that changes with rpms. This sound comes from the speaker even when the radio is switched off....Also, after turning the car off it would not start again and i had to jump it. Sounds like i have introduced a bad ground right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: electrical issue
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 07, 2019 04:47AM

Check the red wire pin/socket in the engine to body harness connector. Loose & dirty might be the issue. Or check the grounds on the engine and body from the battery negative cable.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: October 07, 2019 05:38AM

Lighting the lamps on the instrument panel is "easy" for the battery, connections and wiring on your Corvair.
The "HARD" part is sending the current to start the engine from the battery connections, both '+' and '-' . The starter in a steady cranking mode will consume 100 amps or more of current. The solenoid that kicks the gear out and connects the main large battery cable to the motor will consume another 20 to 30 amps.
One big issue with Corvairs is the battery is many feet and several connections away from the ignition/start key switch.
The wiring on the start position must be able to pass that 20-30 amps forward, then thru the old key switch and then back to the starter solenoid.

Make sure all the connections are clean, bright and tight.
I suggest adding a relay back near the starter solenoid which then will connect the the solenoid directly to the battery cable when it is triggered by the key switch. It takes just a couple of amps to trigger the relay and that makes the work that the Corvair wiring harness has to do "easy".

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 07, 2019 08:01AM

Yes I would check the red #10 wire. Sometimes flexing the multi-connector helps the electrical contact with this wire. Sometimes you have to go around it with a spliced in short wire. 65 and up have a junction it this wire that neeads attention sometimes.
Regarding grounds it's good to have 3 smaller ground wires from the engine side shrouds to the frame rail, these are an addition to the main cable. The main battery ground cable should go to the chassis and the engine with a heavy cable.
The small grounds help with radio interference. Also a condensor looking thing on the coil +, resistor spark plugs and resistor spark plug wires.
I'm happy to read other recommendations, I'm just shooting quick from the hip here.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 07, 2019 09:05AM

All good tips but I think you may have 2 issues. Not starting from bad connections has been addressed above but the dead battery could be a different problem. After you have fixed your bad connection check to see if the charging system is working which could be related to the radio noise.
Let's hope the charging failure is also because of the bad connection.
Do you still have the stock generator?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: October 07, 2019 09:13AM

All good points, but if you re-read the original post he has "noise" from the Radio Speaker even when the Radio is OFF! eye popping smiley

This makes me think he has some wiring problems under the Dash!!!

The 'variable whine' is do to the generator/alternator changing speeds as the engine rpm varies. IF the Radio is really OFF, then you should hear nothing from the Speaker.

Something else to look at!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: October 07, 2019 09:29AM

Good catch. That could be ruining the battery down. My Lakewood battery was running down and it turned out the aftermarket radio would not turn off. I just disconnected it.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: October 07, 2019 03:35PM

"Do you still have the stock generator?"

I believe it has been replaced but its an original style generator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2019 03:38PM by Vairly_there.

Date: October 07, 2019 03:37PM

"This makes me think he has some wiring problems under the Dash!!!"

The only reason I think its not something under the dash is that this only started after I cleaned the battery terminals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2019 03:38PM by Vairly_there.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 07, 2019 09:42PM

viarly there - You may more than one problem.

I have seen the "green knob" disconnects fail. Since you mentioned the only thing you did the first time was to tighten the knob to get power it may be an issue. Easy to eliminate it as a possible problem by removing it. Temporarily you can just disconnect the negative cable after you are done driving the car.

Disconnect power from the radio and if the speaker noise goes away the radio knob switch may not be turning off the radio.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 07, 2019 10:13PM

I had similar problems with mine when I first bought it. The main issues were a loose wiring harness in the engine compartment, and a bad connection with that little 10 gauge red wire (forget the technical term) coming directly off the battery.

I do have an after-market radio; I installed it myself so I know it switches off only mostly. Some kind of set up to maintain preferences. I will disconnect the battery if the car has to sit for a week or more.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2019 10:16PM by playerpage.

Date: October 09, 2019 06:08AM

Ok, I have a few things to try, hoping to poke around this weekend. Thanks everyone. Ill update

Date: October 11, 2019 06:22AM

I did a quick cleanup, disconnected battery, cleaned the terminals, and the battery, reconnected and things were looking up. Turning to on gave me the 2 warning lights, but when I tried to start, I got a pathetic click/thunk sound. Tired again got the same. Did my loosen and then tighten the green knob trick and it started right up and no buzzing in the speaker. So at the very least I will be replacing the quick disconnect and see what happens from here

Date: October 11, 2019 06:42AM

Did you clean the disconnect?

Joel
Northlake, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.