Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Speedometer Noise?
Posted by: RBohl ()
Date: October 06, 2019 07:06AM

I was traveling several hundred miles with my '65 Corsa when I heard a nasty rattling-clicking sound from under the dashboard. I thought it might be the speedo cable, but unlike other instances I've had with cables the speedo needle was NOT jumping and the two odometers were/are working accurately. Before I start pulling things apart (at 76 I'm getting a little old for dashboard gymnastics), have any members had this experience. Also when members write about the speedo "head", which end of the cable are they indicating?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speedometer Noise?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 06, 2019 07:27AM

Welcome to the CCF... you should've came here 20 years ago!! GG

Speedo head is the Panel end.

To Test ...pull dust cap off left front wheel and drive test.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: October 10, 2019 11:49PM

When my bezel nut (name?) would come loose and the cable would not be fully retained at the back of the gauge, it would rattle to beat the dickens. The speedo would work fine, but the noise was quite loud even in the convertible.

On mine, after the first time I took it apart I could never tighten the cable nut all the way or it would bind up the mechanism and the speedo would not read at all. Loosening it slightly would do the trick, but also meant that about once a year it would come all the way loose and I would have to "half tighten" it again.

If your rattle has a bit of a ringing sound to it, reach up and feel if the cable is loose.

Paul

Date: October 11, 2019 07:03AM

Mattnail and CoCoCo, Thanks for the info. I guess it's time for me to squeeze my fat arms under the dash. Actually I should have joined this forum 54 years ago as that's when I bought my first '65 Corsa vert. Oh yeah, no internet back then. LOL

Date: October 14, 2019 12:37PM

I checked the retaining bezel holding the cable housing to the speedometer and didn't find any fault; it was finger tight. I thought I'd try lubricating the inner cable, so I pulled it from the outer sheath, which didn't take much effort; it appeared to be in good shape, except that it was somewhat dry. I cleaned the cable with degreaser, lubed it, and started to slide it back into the sheath. All went well until the last foot or so. No matter how I twisted, turned it, pushed it, or cursed at it, the cable would not return fully into the sheath. Something appears to be jamming up the works, perhaps where the flexible sheath is connected to the metal tubing. Has anyone else run into this problem? I wouldn't mind replacing the whole assembly, but I haven't an easy way to get under the car, especially if I have to remove a front tire to get to the spindle.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 14, 2019 12:40PM

How much does it lack going in all the way? If is just a little bit it could be just not going into the dust cap which is easy to pull off.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: October 14, 2019 01:15PM

There's 9-7/8 inches remaining of the inner cable. I don't think it's the dust cap as there's probably too much left uncovered. Thanks anyway.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 14, 2019 01:19PM

Nope. Probably the sharp bend in the cable going into the spindle.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: October 15, 2019 05:49AM

Try removing the dust cap, and then chucking the cable in a drill motor, push while slowly rotating the cable.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: October 16, 2019 05:51AM

Thanks. I had tried what you suggested with no luck. However I found the the speedometer fitting at the end of the cable was not fixed tightly to the cable, and could spin while the tight cable did not (hard to see with all the lubricant). This didn't seem to affect the speedometer when the cable was attached as there was a sort of clutch action going on when the cable spun freely. I think I will replace the whole mess as the parts from Clarks are about $100 total, a mere pittance when compared to my "investment" in this car. Now I have to see if I can get under the car using my 50-year old Sears ramps.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 16, 2019 10:38AM

Only a suggestion when getting ready
to replace the cable/housing: Pick the
front of the car up so wheels are loose.
You need to turn steering side to side
to see the two bolts holding cable to
steering arm and have access to bolt
on fender well holding cable plus
taking cable upwards into passenger
cabin. I remove dr side wheel/tire for
easy access under the corner of the car.

Obviously jack stands are necessary.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 17, 2019 05:13AM

Thanks for your helpful suggestions>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.