Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Starter solenoid wiring problem?
Posted by: Ben64 ()
Date: October 04, 2019 05:49PM

About two weeks ago I took out the starter on my 64 Monza, Starter spun but solenoid would only engage sometimes. Bench tested it, and the solenoid worked every time. Put in new brushes, lever, and grease. Installed and solenoid would only engage sometimes. Could this be a wiring problem to the solenoid? Would appreciate any help! smiling bouncing smiley

-Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starter solenoid wiring problem?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 04, 2019 06:29PM

Hmm, maybe some nomenclature issue?

The solenoid does two things, physically pulls the starter drive into the (pressure plate/torque converter) ring gear and connects the battery cable to the starter power input tab.

To get the starter to turn electrically, the solenoid has to fully stroke, pushing the washer into the two large terminals in the back of the solenoid. At this point, unless there is a terrible mount of slop in the linkage, the starter drive should be engaged with the ring gear. But the solenoid has fully stroked (what I would call engaged) if the starter turns.

SO, I suspect the starter drive itself is at fault. The gear can be properly meshed, but the roller/friction clutches in the drive may be slipping, so the starter turns without the engine turning.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 04, 2019 09:05PM

How can I make sure that it's the starter drive?
Thank you for the help!

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 04, 2019 10:04PM

It should lock in one direction and freewheel the other but it should be very hard to turn in the freewheel direction. If it turns easily it is bad.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: October 05, 2019 06:47AM

I had the same problem and it ended up being that dreaded purple wire between the switch and solenoid .

Gene Barr

Eustis Fl.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 05, 2019 08:38AM

Frank's summary was good. The starter motor should not turn until the solenoid is fully engaged. Sometimes the overspeed clutch goes bad (slips). Another possibility is the engagement fork from the solenoid to the clutch/gear assembly that wears and allows the solenoid to fully travel, yet the clutch/gear does not fully engage. Usually this causes a grinding sound when the gear does not engage.

The switch in the solenoid could be closing before the solenoid is fully engaged.

Years ago a midwest Corvair club noted the "new" solenoids had less windings and used a weaker return spring. If you used the original return spring the solenoid would not stay fully engaged.

Also check the teeth on the pressure plate or torque converter for excess wear in places.

Date: October 05, 2019 11:17AM

Yup, it's the Starter drive. Thanks for all the help and I'll be checking that purple wire as well!
Now do I have to get a new starter drive from Clark's? Just ordered off of there and would not like to pay shipping again and wait another week. Could I pick one up from a local auto parts store? And as for the washer that holds the starter drive in, does that just need to be heated to remove? Once again thank you all for the help!smileys with beer

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 05, 2019 02:21PM

Ben64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup, it's the Starter drive. Thanks for all the help and I'll be checking that purple wire as well!
> Now do I have to get a new starter drive from Clark's? Just ordered off of there and would not like to pay shipping again and wait another week. Could I pick one up from a local auto parts store? And as for the washer that holds the starter drive in, does that just need to be heated to remove? Once again thank you all for the help!smileys with beer
------------------

Steve sez: That is a snap ring inside a collar.
Look in 61 shop manual pg 8-24 for help to
remove it. I have a pulling tool that lifts
the snap ring out of its' groove. You might
try a local rebuilder if you live in large
town for both the drive and some help
replacing it. Oh NO HEAT required!!

The industry part number for the drive is 3-208

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 05, 2019 08:07PM

I know the drive Napa lists for Corvairs is wrong. The local starter rebuilder here in Fort Worth can get them. If you find someone that claims they can get it make them show you a picture so you can verify it is correct. The standard Chevy one is much shorter.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 05, 2019 08:26PM

Take yours with you!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.