Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Missing Brake Fluid?
Posted by: Ron in Indy ()
Date: October 03, 2019 02:51PM

I was pulling the '63 Spyder out of the garage yesterday, and I noticed that my brake pedal went almost to the floor. Today I checked and noticed the MC (single reservoir) was almost empty. I filled it up with Dot 3 and bled the brakes, and got my pedal back. I found no noticeable leaks at the MC or wheel side, so I am baffled where the fluid went. I should also mention that I haven't checked the level since I redid all the brakes about 4 years ago, so it could be a very slow leak. confused smiley Any thoughts about non-obvious places to look?
Thanks,
Ron in Indy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing Brake Fluid?
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: October 03, 2019 03:07PM

Usually, people don't check inside the car at the back of the MC piston bore. The fluid can drip undetected into the passenger compartment where it is soaked up into the back side of the carpet.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: October 03, 2019 03:33PM

Thanks Dave,
I'll get in there and feel around. I have pretty new carpet and padding (as well as floor mats) so it could soak up a lot of liquid before it became obvious. In the mean time, I need to keep a close eye on the MC level. Nothing worse than limping home using the E-brake!eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 03, 2019 03:54PM

"non obvious". The good thing about a brake fluid leak is it always leaves a good amount of evidence. Under the dash can be a bit tough though as it ends up in the carpet. I hope you check the fluid level on a regular basis. I check mine about once a month.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 03, 2019 04:37PM

Keep some fluid in the trunk so you don't have to limp home.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: October 04, 2019 04:22AM

Carpets are dry so I'm still not sure where the brake fluid went. I suppose that if it was a slow enough leak, it would be pretty hard to detect. It's probably time for new shoes anyway, so I will do a thorough inspection when I take off the drums. Thanks,
Ron in Indy

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 04, 2019 04:58AM

When you have all the shoes and hardware off, pull back those wheel cyl. dust boots and look for fluid.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: October 05, 2019 09:16AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you have all the shoes and hardware off, pull back those wheel cyl. dust boots and look for fluid.

Thanks. I will give it a thorough examination. Just checked the MC this morning (yes, it's only been a couple days since I filled it) and it looks unchanged. I am thinking it is a real slow leak, but of course they have a tendency to become faster leaks at some point.
Cheers,
Ron in IN

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 05, 2019 09:42AM

It was good that you bled the brakes to change the fluid and we should all be checking the level on a regular basis.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 05, 2019 10:28AM

Don't forget the annual or more often Hard Harder test. Very important safety step with an old car.

While at home with the parking brake on (or parked level), step on brake pedal, push really hard, grab steering wheel and step for all your life on the brake pedal. See, hard, then HARDER.thumbs up

You want the brake system to fail while it is safely at home, where no life is risked, and repair can be done (or towed to have it done).

You do not want it to happen stopping for a red light, like happened in my 2005 Park Avenue two months ago. Wife was not impressed with going through the red light, but was happy no one was in front or in the intersection yet..... Even the person on the phone she was talking to heard "No brakes, going through the light!!!!". Always good to let wife know you just were not paying attention and going through a red light!grinning smiley

Salt from the previous owner's time.........collected behind bracket holding the rear steel brake line, rest of line looked good. Now all Cunifer in the rear system.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 05, 2019 01:46PM

Frank,
Good to hear that you and your understanding spouse were not hurt when you lost the brakes in the Park Ave. I had a real-life hard harder test a few months ago in the Spyder. I was clipping along at ~ 45 MPH when a knucklehead decided to cross three lanes of traffic in front of me. I jammed on the brakes and held my breath. I barely missed him (less than a foot, I'm guessing) To be honest, I was surprised by how straight the corvair stopped but like any 4 drum car, stopping distance was not great. The idiot that crossed in front of me was unphased by my horn, tire screeching, and vocal screechings! moody smiley
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 01:46PM by Ron in Indy.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 05, 2019 04:45PM

Didn't the Park Avenue still have half the brakes as in dual master cylinder?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.