Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone here put coil-over shocks on the front of a LM?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: September 24, 2019 04:36PM

Did any modifications have to be done?
If So, what?
Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone here put coil-over shocks on the front of a LM?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 24, 2019 05:29PM

Of course!! Lots of Mods.... search the web.... lots of pics "corvair coil over"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 08:09PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 24, 2019 07:53PM

Please don't "sear" the web, I use it a lot. But you can search it!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: September 25, 2019 09:16AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course!! Lots of Mods.... search the web.... lots of pics "corvair coil over"

Lots of pictures - maybe. But the majority of people Don't post details about what it took to accomplish what they did with their pictures!! Grin
Much less the results and if they are pleased or not with the outcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 09:19AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 25, 2019 10:57AM

Why do you want to do that?

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 01:17PM

I did it on an EM. I wanted to do it because it allowed me to adjust ride height and firmness, and I wanted to be able to corner hard. I used QA1 pro coils, they aren't "true" coil-overs because the top of the spring rides in the factory spring pocket, but that made them easy to install. I used single adjustable shocks, but double adjustable would have been even better. This is my first experience with adjustable shocks and I am really surprised by how much you can change them with the adjustment knob.

In the first pic: I had to make some small modifications to the lower control arms. First, I trimmed the ring that locates the factory spring to allow the coil-over to gain some clearance for installation, and the area where the shock will now sit on top of the shock mount. I reinforced that area by adding a small amount of steel to close up the hole and give the shock more support where it will now mount. I also perimeter welded the factory shock mount bracket to the arm to help strengthen it. You can see the one on the right has had the center hole altered.

Second pic: the shock is mocked up on the arm to check fitment and issues.

Third pic: The coil-over is installed with a 250 lb. spring that has 1.5 coils cut to get the car to sit low enough for my liking.

Honestly, the spring is a 10" spring, and cutting a coil and a half out of it made it look really short, and I was concerned about it, but there is still plenty of room for travel. I have put over 1000 miles on the car in the last 7 weeks and it drives like a dream, I absolutely love it.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Attachments:

Date: September 25, 2019 05:55PM

Brizo Wrote:
> Why do you want to do that?

Not to be rude. But why does it matter?
I'm looking to educate myself on a project idea of mine.

Date: September 25, 2019 06:08PM

guthrie1068 Wrote:
> I did it on an EM. I wanted to do it because it allowed me to adjust ride height and firmness, and I wanted to be able to corner hard. I used QA1 pro coils, they aren't "true" coil-overs because the top of the spring rides in the factory spring pocket, but that made them easy to install. I used single adjustable shocks, but double adjustable would have been even better. This is my first experience with adjustable shocks and I am really surprised by how much you can change them with the adjustment knob.
>
> In the first pic: I had to make some small modifications to the lower control arms. First, I trimmed the ring that locates the factory spring to allow the coil-over to gain some clearance for installation, and the area where the shock will now sit on top of the shock mount. I reinforced that area by adding a small amount of steel to close up the hole and give the shock more support where it will now mount. I also perimeter welded the factory shock mount bracket to the arm to help strengthen it. You can see the one on the right has had the center hole altered.
>
> Second pic: the shock is mocked up on the arm to check fitment and issues.
>
> Third pic: The coil-over is installed with a 250 lb. spring that has 1.5 coils cut to get the car to sit low enough for my liking.
>
> Honestly, the spring is a 10" spring, and cutting a coil and a half out of it made it look really short, and I was concerned about it, but there is still plenty of room for travel. I have put over 1000 miles on the car in the last 7 weeks and it drives like a dream, I absolutely love it.

Nice work. Thank you for taking the time to share it.
What kind of new style bearing, disc brake bracket and caliper did you use?

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 25, 2019 08:12PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> Brizo Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Why do you want to do that?
>
>
> Not to be rude. But why does it matter?
> I'm looking to educate myself on a project idea of mine.

I apologize for being so blunt. I just wondered if maybe you were building a race car or thought the original suspension design was poor, worn out, etc. Of course it doesn't matter at all and I hope you have a fun and successful project.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 08:12PM by Brizo.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: September 26, 2019 04:41AM

I doubt the factory shock mount is going to hold the weight of the car for very long.sad smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Date: September 26, 2019 08:20AM

Mel Wrote:
> I doubt the factory shock mount is going to hold the weight of the car for very long.sad smiley

Mel,
I'm missing your point here, for what this has to do with your earlier comment and me wanting to install a LM front suspension in my wagon.
More detail would be helpful.

Date: September 26, 2019 08:35AM

Brizo Wrote:
> OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> > Brizo Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Why do you want to do that?
> >
> >
> > Not to be rude. But why does it matter?
> > I'm looking to educate myself on a project idea of mine.
>
> I apologize for being so blunt. I just wondered if maybe you were building a race car or thought the original suspension design was poor, worn out, etc. Of course it doesn't matter at all and I hope you have a fun and successful project.

Dan, my plan is to build an EV wagon.
My design includes 4 wheel disc brakes to provide better stopping ability with the add weight and 5 lug wheels for more tire and rim choices.
It's MPO that the LM front disc brake kits are better and I'm going to have 5 lug wheels on the back anyways.
Why not on the front too.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 26, 2019 01:17PM

I have also been looking into this, both for a friend who is plodding his way through it for street use, and for me, since I am building up a new race car front end. It would be nice to be able to have double adjustable shocks (many more ways to go wrong!) The front end design of the Corvair precludes the external double adjustable with a stock-type spring. If I am spending the money to do the double-adjustables, why not go to adjustable ride height at the same time. If I make the leap, I would probably reinforce the sides of the lower A-arm a little. But Rick Norris built his V8 without doing that and it has seemed to do fine. It has always been the quest for knowledge - The "What "can" be done!", that excites my interest. To each his own.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: September 26, 2019 03:48PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> Brizo Wrote:
> > OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Brizo Wrote:
> > > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > > Why do you want to do that?
> > >
> > >
> > > Not to be rude. But why does it matter?
> > > I'm looking to educate myself on a project idea of mine.
> >
> > I apologize for being so blunt. I just wondered if maybe you were building a race car or thought the original suspension design was poor, worn out, etc. Of course it doesn't matter at all and I hope you have a fun and successful project.
>
>
> Dan, my plan is to build an EV wagon.
> My design includes 4 wheel disc brakes to provide better stopping ability with the add weight and 5 lug wheels for more tire and rim choices.
> It's MPO that the LM front disc brake kits are better and I'm going to have 5 lug wheels on the back anyways.
> Why not on the front too.

Dan,
I forgot to mention that having the ability to adjust the front shocks and spring rate would be most helpful with my EV project, because I will not know the true weight bias until I'm done building it.

Date: September 26, 2019 06:16PM

The hub mount is from Tom Knoblaugh and uses a C5 hub and S10 4wd rotors and calipers. The hub mount is well engineered and a real bolt on part that uses the stock ball joints. He can give you the lowering amount that you would like too. Mine are 2" dropped. Mel may be right, the original shock mount may not hold up, but it a pretty solid piece, and I welded the crap out of it to the arm which I hope added a ton of strength. The roads around me are terrible, so if it holds up here I'd think it'd be great just about anywhere. I'll get under it this weekend and check for issues, but like I said, it drives like a dream.

As another note, when I chose the spring rates I talked to a QA1 tech and sent him all of the measurements that he asked for and he advised me to buy 350 lb springs. When I got them and installed them in the car they were way too strong. The 250's seem to be perfect.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Date: September 26, 2019 06:25PM

guthrie1068 Wrote:
> The hub mount is from Tom Knoblaugh and uses a C5 hub and S10 4wd rotors and calipers. The hub mount is well engineered and a real bolt on part that uses the stock ball joints. He can give you the lowering amount that you would like too. Mine are 2" dropped. Mel may be right, the original shock mount may not hold up, but it a pretty solid piece, and I welded the crap out of it to the arm which I hope added a ton of strength. The roads around me are terrible, so if it holds up here I'd think it'd be great just about anywhere. I'll get under it this weekend and check for issues, but like I said, it drives like a dream.
>
> As another note, when I chose the spring rates I talked to a QA1 tech and sent him all of the measurements that he asked for and he advised me to buy 350 lb springs. When I got them and installed them in the car they were way too strong. The 250's seem to be perfect.

Chad, Thank you very much. I wonder if they thought the weight of a power-plant would be up front on those springs?

Date: September 26, 2019 06:30PM

I forgot a couple of things. I also switched to 4 wheel disc brakes. If you're using an EM rear suspension you'll have a hard time finding the disc brake parts because Leveque isn't making them anymore, and you have to have a floating caliper bracket because of the bearing design. I got really lucky and found a used kit. Just something else to think about with your build plan. I know lots of folks here will say that the brakes on our cars are more than adequate, but I'll tell you that the disc brakes on my car are fantastic and I'm incredibly happy that I switched.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 26, 2019 06:32PM

Tony wrote earlier LM rear suspension in his wagon.....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 26, 2019 06:37PM

ahh, missed that, thanks Matt.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Date: September 26, 2019 06:48PM

guthrie1068 Wrote:
> I forgot a couple of things. I also switched to 4 wheel disc brakes. If you're using an EM rear suspension you'll have a hard time finding the disc brake parts because Leveque isn't making them anymore, and you have to have a floating caliper bracket because of the bearing design. I got really lucky and found a used kit. Just something else to think about with your build plan. I know lots of folks here will say that the brakes on our cars are more than adequate, but I'll tell you that the disc brakes on my car are fantastic and I'm incredibly happy that I switched.

Chad,
After my talk with Charlie, a week ago, from KC Raceware, I'm going to be using a C5/C6 rear suspension, brakes and all.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.