Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Oily mess!
Posted by: TGriffin ()
Date: September 26, 2019 09:14AM

I once had my car spew oil everywhere after one of the throttle linkage clips came off of passenger side carb while on the throttle. The car sputtered and started smoking badly. When I opened the hood there was oil everywhere, shot mostly out of the PCV vent and also out of the dipstick.

Best guess was that the crank pressure did something weird when the clip came off of only one side and just shot oil out from pressure in the crankcase. I replaced the clip and cleaned everything up and haven't had a problem since. If your car was as big of a mess as mine, you may also need to pull the turkey pan off and clean in there or else you will be burning oil off of the engine for quite a long time. My fins and oil cooler were soaked under the shrouds.

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Peeeot ()
Date: September 26, 2019 09:21AM

Thankfully I didn’t have it so bad! All the oil stayed above the fan shroud so the cylinders and heads are clean. I expected to find that some oil had run down the dipstick tube, but even that was clean! I really think it was a pretty small amount of oil that just got flung around a lot by all the moving air and belt and such.

Date: March 19, 2020 08:48AM

A follow up to this older thread:

I have had repeats of this incident a handful of times since my last post here. Sometimes the amount of oil is small, but this morning it was at least as much as the first time I posted.

Dipstick shows halfway between full and add. I’m not sure if this is a high enough oil level to have the dipstick tube submerged still.

I am thinking of trying two things:

1. Clamp a length of hose to the dipstick tube and run it to a catch can with a vent to atmosphere to see if it contains any such upsets

2. Seal the dipstick tube and air cleaner vent tube and remove the PCV valve to apply full vacuum to the crankcase. I have done this before on a different old engine with a cyclone separator in line between crankcase and manifold. It did a great job of controlling excessive blow by in that application.

The engine runs too well to want to tear it down for overhaul. If either of the above controls what seems to be excessive blowby, I will be happy. I’m open to other suggestions too.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 19, 2020 09:01AM

Have you compression and leakdown tested the cylinders? If the PCV system is clean inside the tubes, properly connected, and the valve if used is not stuck you should not have this issue unless there is significant compression blow-by into the crankcase from worn or cracked piston rings or similar issue. Ok a catch can will keep the mess from getting all over but if blow-by is the issue you are only masking not fixing the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 19, 2020 09:04AM

You have a '63 engine? It has just a 3/8" Tube at the fanshroud? You'll notice it swedges down to 3/8" from 1/2"

Increase the tube size to 1/2" and run that to your "Catchcan".

ALSO... Remove the tube at the fanshroud and Blow shopair into it.. with oil fill cap OFF.. make sure you have good flow! Many times the tube to the Crankcase cover is plugged! You can run an old speedo-cable down thru it to clean.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 19, 2020 01:09PM

Keep an eye on the oil pressure sender, it may happen again.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 19, 2020 07:31PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep an eye on the oil pressure sender, it may happen again.

Yeah, the 3 times I have had an oily mess in my engine compartment were the result of, . . . .

#1. I (stupidly) left the oil-fill cap off, and drove the car for half an hour! eye rolling smiley

#2. Harmonic Balancer had failed, it walked out and slowly wore a tiny groove through the side of the oil filter. eye popping smiley

#3. Oil Pressure Sending Unit failed. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 19, 2020 08:14PM

I didn't see anything about trying a different PCV valve. They're pretty cheap but seem to be foreign made crap.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 20, 2020 08:15AM

I have avoided trying a new PCV for that exact reason. I have convinced myself that parts like that are not made to the specifications originally intended, but rather a one-size-fits-all approach is taken. If the case of the valve will fit in place, then it’s the “correct” valve.

Still, I guess it can’t hurt to try.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 20, 2020 08:35AM

Just clean it with Berrymans b-12

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: March 22, 2020 11:39AM

Hello all, just remembered this thread, and am cleaning up an LM block for rebuilding. I believe @WagonMaster stated an LM had a "...1/8" hole..." in the dipstick tube, as it exits into the crankcase. Well...the hole looks to be less than a 1/16". Is this adequate, or should I open up to 1/8"???

Thanks,
-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 22, 2020 12:25PM

I would.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: March 22, 2020 02:05PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would.

Thanks Matt...will ipen it up.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.