Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Unsafe at any speed book . Did anyone even read the whole book?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 23, 2019 04:02PM

Ironically, they've already made the movie. I've seen more than one documentary on Ralph Nader or politics or consumer safety or electric cars and whatever by film students just out of college looking to make a name for themselves in an industry that's overwhelming Democrat. Whenever they talk about Nader and the Corvair they are fawning and supportive. It's kind of infuriating.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 24, 2019 05:31AM

Going O/T.

Was it the Tempest that basically used the Corvair front suspension but lower slung to clear the oil pan which made it susceptible to catching on things in the road?

I heard a story of an elderly couple that just about got thrown through the windshield when traveling down an old street with settled down brick pavers and a sewer cover sticking up. Perhaps it's another myth but it came to mind.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 24, 2019 08:09AM

Myths are fun. You think on the face of them they are laughable, but really they are all very "print the legend."

In my comments I'm making no other value judgments beyond my enormous problem with bad filmmaking. I know that one or the other myth is going to be propped up, but, to the original point, a little research into what and who is propped up would be nice.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 24, 2019 09:33AM

Tempest, through 1963, used complete Corvair drivetrain without engine.

Crossmember in front should not have been lower than Buick Special, Olds F-85, Corvair, etc, etc.

I struck the oil pan of a Pinto on a protruding railroad track in an industrial park near where I worked. Small slow leak hole. It was a work car, so I took it for repair at the city garage, who made me get a police report before they fixed the pan, as it was in an ACCIDENT!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 25, 2019 05:45AM

Vanity plate on my wife's 4-dr reads "N8R H8R" but kids at the car shows have no idea what it means and most don't even know that Nader ran for president four times. He is slowly being forgotten.

I find it funny that some people think that without Ralph Nader, auto safety would have never progressed past 1960's technology.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: September 25, 2019 05:56AM

I have a copy and read it some years ago, I must read it again. I remember it being an interesting read.

I think Nader makes some good points in the book regarding safety generally. I look at cars from the late 40's early 50's as a golden age of design but look more closely and they were not designed with safety in mind.

It's nice to feel and be safer in a modern vehicle but the downside is that modern cars lack any real charm or character, certainly styling wise everything these days looks a bit derivative and Korean.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.