Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Unsafe at any speed book . Did anyone even read the whole book?
Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: September 21, 2019 12:16PM

Nice video to share about it!

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unsafe at any speed book . Did anyone even read the whole book?
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: September 21, 2019 12:30PM

I have read it three times.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: September 21, 2019 12:46PM

I've never read the book and have not put Nader down for writing it. What I thought of Nader was based on having owned and driven two Corvairs a 62 PG and a 63 4 speed. I drove them consecutively for about 4 years. I only did one 360° with the 62 driving too fast on a snow packed road but never had any other handling issues with either. I followed the recommended tire pressures etc. and everything worked out fine. So I found his take on the car that was based solely on other's opinions and second hand info not on his own personal usage of the car as a means to gain notoriety and make a buck along the way. Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2019 12:49PM by mikeycee.

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: September 21, 2019 02:03PM

Read it when it first came out. Folks forget it wasn't mostly about the Corvair but the auto industry as a whole which probably should have been brought to task about safety.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: September 21, 2019 02:58PM

That is why I posted this!!!!!

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 21, 2019 03:59PM

I have read it. Mostly very dry boring stuff about inadequacies in relatively inexpensive safety equipment not being installed in cars and unsafe practices like spiky dash knob lack of padding etc. that were present in the cars of the time. His book overall had little to do with Corvairs and more to do with making all cars safer which it did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:14PM

Yes I read the whole thing in the 90s. It's a bum rap that people think it's all about the Corvair or that the Corvair itself is unsafe at any speed.

Putting the whole auto safety thing aside, I have plenty of other reasons to dislike Ralph Nader. He's really not my cup of tea.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 21, 2019 08:25PM

Read it several times, the first being back in the 60s.

Yep, book about the auto industry, just happens to start out: Chapter one, The Sporty Corvair.winking smiley

I still work with people who refuse to wear seat belts. eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 21, 2019 09:08PM

Yes, have read the whole thing.
Agree with the other above who have also.
Interesting thing is that most everything that he says we should have in our cars, or removed from our cars, has been done!
Were any of them his original ideas?
NO!
He just brought many ideas, from many different people, and assimilated them into one comprehensive list in one book.

Frank, only a tiny few of the residents in my community ever wear seat-belts, while driving locally.
But then again, with 25mph speed limits on ALL our streets, I have never heard of anyone getting into a collision around here either.
There are a few drunks that have an innate ability to find the nearest drainage ditch, and drive into it at 2:00 AM though. hot smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 22, 2019 06:12AM

I first read it back when it first came out. I figure that his style of writing was so dry that few people got beyond the first chapter, hence the myth that it was "all" about the Corvair. His intent was to use the Corvair as a springboard for his indictment of the whole auto industry. For that goal, he succeeded, but only despite putting everyone to sleep at the end of that first chapter.

Ok, so the GM management bungled their handling of the situation. They had never dealt with such a publicity flap before. In hindsight, they could probably be excused for that, though that's a pretty poor excuse.

But what IS important to us Corvair enthusiasts is that he inadvertently gifted us the '67-9's, which are arguably some of the nicest Corvairs ever made. Too few of them, true. But they were still made, with a hint of what might have or could have been. And for that, I feel he was, as far as the Corvair goes, a failure.

-Mark

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 22, 2019 06:54AM

I thank Ralph Nader every day for doing his part to keep our cars affordable.

Date: September 22, 2019 07:43AM

Being affordable is a double-edged sword. It all depends as to whether you are a "have" or a "have not". A friend of mine doesn't have two nickels to rub together, yet he's working on putting together a '63 coupe. On the other hand, if I was putting together a muscle or pony car, instead of a Corvair, what I've spent on my project car would be considered a good investment. As it is, I doubt I'll ever recover what I'll end up spending on it.

-Mark

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 22, 2019 09:07AM

Yes, I read the book in its entirety. Yes, I believe Ralph got car companies to make their products safer SOONER.
I believe as Mark mentions we got 3 more years of Corvairs. Other than that, he means nothing to me.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 11:07AM

Just think if the book would have started out with chapter 1 VolksWagon or Ford Falcon or any other vehicle of that time. As stated hardly any of the general public that bought the book got past the first chapter. History on our Corvairs would be a lot different.Every car cruise in or show I go to with the Corvair someone brings up Nader or how unsafe Corvairs are but none have said they read the book.

Date: September 22, 2019 02:12PM

I'm finding that many of the younger crowd not only haven't read the book, they don't even associate him with the Corvair. Which is good for us"haves" because (I suspect) they are at least partially responsible for the recent appreciation in value our cars have experienced.

Which only helps to prove my long-held assertion that the sooner people lose/forget about him and the book, and stop talking about how "unsafe" the car is, the better the value our cars will get to be.

For the sake of those interested in getting into the hobby, that's not good.But for those of us that have what we have always wanted, it's generally a good thing. Like I said, a double-edged sword.

-Mark

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 22, 2019 05:39PM

rowin4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just think if the book would have started out with chapter 1 VolksWagon or Ford Falcon or any other vehicle of that time. As stated hardly any of the general public that bought the book got past the first chapter. History on our Corvairs would be a lot different.Every car cruise in or show I go to with the Corvair someone brings up Nader or how unsafe Corvairs are but none have said they read the book.

I read a story years ago that Ralph (or staff) did send out questionnaires to VW owners about safety issues. They got little response, and those that responded were mostly belligerent AGAINST Nader because early VW owners took a lot of criticism (hey does that thing wind up -- etc.) for buying a VW. Early VW owners were mostly loyal to the car.

Posted by: swi66 ()
Date: September 23, 2019 04:24AM

Read the book twice.
Got my original edition autographed by Ralph at the 91 Convention in DC.

He was also a very good speaker at that convention.

Gary Swiatowy

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: September 23, 2019 07:36AM

... haven't read it, waiting for the movie to come out.

bryan

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 23, 2019 08:11AM

Yes I have read it. Good book to put one to sleep when having a bout of insomnia!

Mark wraps it up about right with my opinion.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 23, 2019 09:13AM

I have read it a few times - also taken it to Ralphie to have him sign my copy...wrote reports about it in College too...

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.