Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Engine runs strong but no boost.
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: September 28, 2019 11:42AM

Does the float actually "float"? it may have a crack/pinhole leak.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 1962spyder ()
Date: September 28, 2019 01:35PM

If you have an operating fuel return line, why would you need anything else?
my 2 cents..

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 28, 2019 07:28PM

That helps but isn't enough. I can't remember if the return is just a hole or a a bypass valve. I think there is a thread here on the fuel filter. Either way it doesn't reduce the pressure enough.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 29, 2019 06:39AM

Doug Ward wrote
"The carb doesn't flood when the engine is off. It does flood after about 30 seconds after start up. constant dripping out of the throat of the carb. Like the float valve is not shutting off the fuel when the bowl fills up."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are on the right track. I believe the bowl is getting too full. Either the float is not floating, the inlet is not sealing or the inlet is being overcome by fuel pressure.
Just my opinion from a distance and with regard for standing back and considering the basics.

A long shot to consider still involves fuel pressure. In their literature the regulators often state how much incoming pressure the regulator can handle, sort of a "it can only do so much" disclaimer sort of thing. I realize you have a gauge stating the pressure is low, that's why I say it's a long shot.
I have two Holley fuel pumps on my racecar with the Holley regulator like your's. When I started it recently one of the fuel pumps floods the Holley 390 carburetor, the other one is fine. Either pump flows through the same regulator.
My conclusion is one of the fuel pumps is putting out more pressure and overcoming the regulator's capabilities. I'd like to sell the car so I'm not putting much effort into it and my conclusion could be wrong.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: September 29, 2019 12:32PM

From the Holley 12-804 installation documentation:

All Holley 12-804 regulators are pre-set at the factory at 2.8 PSI so there is no guesswork when first installing the regulator.

***The inlet pressure limitation is 7 psi.

Alec

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 29, 2019 01:36PM

His gauge showed 2 psi after installation....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: September 29, 2019 08:48PM

Sunday update. I took the carb top off today. I had a close look at the float jet & valve. The "new"jet I had replaced has a bigger hole & the solid needle didn't shut it off. I put the original jet back in, with the correct spring loaded needle. That had drasticly affected the float settings. I corrected those. ( drop & height ) The carb seems to be working pretty good now. No flooding. Regulator is set to 2 PSI. I have no MPG figures yet but expect an improvement.
NOW, I went to the FAQ's on the forum & found out that the turbo on my engine is from a 64 Spyder. When I got the car, it came with some miscellaneous turbo parts. Sure enuf, the "spare" turbo housing is the correct 65 Corsa model. Most of the guts are missing. Particularly the turbine & impeller. I'll do some more research & let you guys know what I find. I'm pretty sure the carb is the correct one for a 65. Now I wonder if the engine is a 64 or 65 . I think it's a 65 because the correct carb is there. Seems like the PO changed the turbo & didn't realize it was the wrong year.
Doug Ward

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 29, 2019 09:12PM

Or they were trying to make it perform differently than stock.

Is the engine code YR or RL?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 30, 2019 01:14PM

Frank, the number stamped at the rear of the engine is 11222RL...Doug Ward

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 30, 2019 01:25PM

Looks like a Christmas LM Turbo engine. T=Tonowando 12=December 22=the 22nd day of the month RL=180HP Turbo engine

Date: September 30, 2019 01:48PM

Tim, That makes sense. I know it's a very early 65, built in LA ( Van Nuys, Ca. )as the sticker on the air filter says " Spyder" / 180 hp. Not "Corsa" / `180 hp. The factory had those stickers printed prior to production & apparently decided to just use them up till the model name change was approved & production was already going. Another hint that my car is a very early 65 is that it had the original factory pin stripe on the sides. Story is that only that assembly plant ( Van Nuys) had a worker that could pin stripe & after a short while, he was there no longer. End of the pin stripe option. Doug Ward

Date: October 03, 2019 09:03PM

Hi guys, it's been a couple of days since I checked in with you, so here's the latest.
I think the carburetor is pretty squared away now. I re installed the original float jet & spring loaded needle valve, re set the float drop & height, and installed the Holley fuel pressure regulator, set to 2 PSI. I filled the tank & drove the car about 60 miles & it looks like the MPG is up to about 12 1/2 now.
I think I have the no boost mystery figured out. The turbo that is on the engine is from a 64 Spyder. The turbo parts that I got with the car are from a 65 Corsa. I have all the main parts except the turbine / axle, the impellor,& the gaskets. I think the PO put on the used 64 turbo , mounted it to the 65 turbo housing & used the correct 65 YH carb on that. The 64 turbo has a small turbine & it's installed on the 65 housing. Yes the turbo is "working" but it can't produce enough RPM's to make any boost. I can only speculate at this time because I am having a hard time trying to locate a 180 turbine & I don't want to disable the car right now because I want to take it to the Palm Springs Corvair event at the end of the month. I don't want to remove the 64 turbo till I have the right parts to rebuild the 65 turbo & get it on the engine. I'll betcha it will have some boost then.
I'm looking for a 180 turbine & shaft ( & possibly an impellor,washer,& nut) so if anybody has one you will part with, Please let me know.
Doug Ward

Date: October 03, 2019 10:32PM

Others have had that problem. I'd say your best bet is to purchase a new Center section / cartridge as used parts are all 50 years old...

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 04, 2019 01:16AM

Hi Matt, New turbines / shafts are no longer available. My center section housing looks pretty good. It has the main clamp, bearing & most all the internal small parts. I'm looking for a good used turbine / shaft. I think I can re use the 64 small impellor from the one that is in the car now. It will probably spool up quicker than the late model one as it's lighter too. It may not produce as much top end boost though as it has less area than the later one. Do YOU have a 180 turbine ? ( LOL ) - - - that you would part with ? Doug Ward

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 04, 2019 05:38AM

A popular recipe is small exhaust turbine and shaft mated to a large intake impeller. It makes the small turbine and shafts hard to find.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 04, 2019 07:18AM

DOUG WARD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Matt, New turbines / shafts are no longer available. My center section housing looks pretty good. It has the main clamp, bearing & most all the internal small parts. I'm looking for a good used turbine / shaft. I think I can re use the 64 small impellor from the one that is in the car now. It will probably spool up quicker than the late model one as it's lighter too. It may not produce as much top end boost though as it has less area than the later one. Do YOU have a 180 turbine ? ( LOL ) - - - that you would part with ? Doug Ward
------------

Steve asks: Doug are you looking for 180 (F flow)
exhaust wheel and shaft?

When you state 'impellor wheel' above do you
mean compressor wheel?

I have a couple of F flow (180) exhaust
wheel/shaft but we need to make sure we are
talking about the same parts.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 04, 2019 10:49AM

Then Marco_AP has this for sale...

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: October 04, 2019 11:28AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then Marco_AP has this for sale...
>
> [corvaircenter.com]

Steve sez: agreed with Matt, buy the
turbo from Marco.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 04, 2019 11:54AM

Steve, The part I need most is the turbine / shaft / hot side / exhaust side, because I have the turbo housing that takes the larger, late 180 turbine. I think I have the 150 turbine / shaft & it's too small to produce any boost because of the larger cavity in the 180 housing that I have. I can probably use the existing impeller ( cold side / carb side) that is in the 64 / 150 turbo mounted on the engine. It will spin quicker than a 180 impeller because its also smaller than a 180. It MAY not produce as MUCH boost, so I'll have to see how it performs.
If I described it so you & I are on the same page, what would be your asking price for the turbine ? In case the 150 impeller doesn't work out, how much would a 180 impeller be ? Doug Ward

Date: October 04, 2019 12:28PM

PM sent

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.