Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
sequence to rebuild 4 carbs
Posted by: vairTer ()
Date: September 10, 2019 07:51PM

Someday I'll probably have to be a good boy and clean/rebuild the 4 carbs on my 140 PG. I'm wondering if the best strategy is to do them 1 at a time, re-install, and make sure everything is behaving before moving on to the next one. Or should I jump in and do all 4 at once, even though this might make it more difficult to pin down which rebuilt one has an issue.

I'm assuming I'm doing this before any of the 4 manifests a problem, so that the only problem child would be the one I rebuilt.

Any opinions on this? One at a time, or all-in?

1966 140 Monza PG convertible
Ventura County, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sequence to rebuild 4 carbs
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: September 10, 2019 08:16PM

I am confused here……….are they bad or you just want to fix them.

If your confident in your ability, do all four and get er done.

Everything should go well.

If you have one acting up just do that one, but I would all four and be done with it.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 10, 2019 08:36PM

Do all 4 at the same time. Follow the proce3dures step by step in the fuel section (6) of the GM Corvair Chassis Shop Manual making sure the adjustments are the same on each primary and the few adjustments on the 2 secondaries are also the same as each other. Re-install all 4 and leave the secondaries disconnected from the linkage initially until the primaries are synchronized and idle speed and timing adjusted. Last you follow the manual procedures for connecting the secondaries and you are done. Eazy Peazy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 11, 2019 07:16AM

At least do them in pairs. Both primaries and then both secondary's. Be sure to get Bob Helts book first. many pitfalls if you rely only on your skill. A $10 investment will save you more than that.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 11, 2019 07:09PM

I like to do them in pairs at the same time on the bench so I can compare whether or not they're the same. Sort of a little pile to the left and a little pile to the right.
For instance sometimes you will find the fixed power enrichment jet in the side of the bowl is PG on one and Manual on the other.
Another for instance would be different air bleed sizes on the top of the venturi clusters.
Sometimes you might find different size main jets or even a 65 carb on the left and a 66 on the right. Or different length springs under the accelerator pumps. A lot can happen 50 years. It's easier to spot differences when they're both there in front of you.
Just my opinion and I'm sure other folks have a different way that works well for them.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 11, 2019 07:34PM

I do them in pairs since all four body parts do not fit well in my 5 gallon bucket anymore!

Use Bob Helt's Rochester Carburetor book to compare parts to make sure the right things are n there. As Jim says, 50 years of people fooling around inside them takes a toll.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 11, 2019 09:01PM

Jim-

Excellent point. I like the advantage of the pair side-by-side approach to highlight what might have been going on over the years.

Ventura County, CA

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: September 11, 2019 09:08PM

just a heads up: whichever way you do them,be sure to check the throttle shafts. if there is play in them, it needs to be addressed.

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Date: September 11, 2019 09:11PM

I assumed doing all 4 in pairs. I always do the primaries and then the secondaries, but unless a pair is fresh already they all 4 get rebuilt

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 11, 2019 09:27PM

I am anticipating rebuilding all 4 at some point, as they're all showing signs of gasket degradation and moistness. I was wondering if I should them 1 at a time or all 4 at once.

Maybe I should back up and ask preliminary questions:

Should I just wait till a serious problem manifests itself and then try to only fix the carb(s) I think has an issue?

Or do you just decide that all carbs need to be rebuilt every X years?

how do you decide when a rebuild is a good idea?

Yeah, a lot of questions...

Ventura County, CA

Date: September 11, 2019 09:59PM

If they are leaking is a good sign, if they are grungy is a good sign, if they are not functioning properly is a very good sign, that it is time to rebuild them. the process is not particularly hard nor is it particularly expensive. Do check the throttle shafts for slop going through the carb bases. if they are sloppy the best bet is to replace them. If I have an issue with one carb I always rebuild both of the pair as otherwise I will not know if they are both adjusted exactly the same, and if one has issues the other likely does as well. This of course assumes that I have not recently rebuilt them...in that case the faulty carb only gets addressed. Most carb issues are caused by debris in the fuel system, wear, or faulty internal adjustments. And yes eventually the gaskets can start to leak.

If there is debris in the inlet filters fixing the fuel system is in order (tank, rusty lines, etc.). If debris is found at least add an external inline fuel filter to catch it before it gets to the carbs. Installing an external filter at the joiner hose between the main body fuel line and the engine inlet fuel like above the left rear wheel is a good spot (use a metal body filter).

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 12, 2019 05:14AM

I find myself going in and doing a "quick clean" and poke around a lot of times. Often it's because the accelerator pump isn't working.

It's difficult for me to set about "rebuilding" the carburetors when the Corvair is here for something else entirely. The "quick clean" is often good enough for now, it all depends on what you find. I keep individual parts on hand rather than kits.

Sometimes a grain of sand in a bad place is all that's wrong, remove it and motor on. Other times you wonder why it even runs with all the crap and wrong parts.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.