Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
positraction additive
Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: September 08, 2019 06:37PM

Do we need to add this to our posi rearends? I searched and couldn't find anything on this. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: positraction additive
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 08, 2019 07:00PM

only if it makes noise in turns.... Newer Gearlubes seem to work by themselves..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 09, 2019 05:24AM

I use it in the assembly of a posi but don't add any unless there is an issue of making noise in the turns.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: September 09, 2019 09:01PM

So if I'm putting my new plates in I should use it then.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 10, 2019 08:29AM

I would just for insurance.

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: September 10, 2019 09:46AM

I used Seth's new plates with the higher breakaway torque and wound up galling them using only Amsoil GL4. It did not squeak at first but then.... I did put the additive in afterward but I had to pull the transaxle apart later for other reasons. That's when I discovered the plates were damaged. I did note the breakaway torque was steadily declining.

I think either assembling them initially with posi additive and/or adding it to the oil is a good idea. My second set is working perfectly assembled with Amsoil posi additive in the GL4. Over 4,000 miles now and quiet and good steady breakaway torque. Shifts OK but when I had only GL4, it was better. One other variable to note, the second plate set I cut down the spacer by 0.023" to lower the breakaway torque. Steady at 65-70 lbs.

My experience, by the time you hear the screech, it's over......

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: September 10, 2019 10:37AM

GM tells you in the 66-69 shop manual supplements to not use it on manual trans models as it can cause shifting issues.

Lee J

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 12, 2019 06:01AM

I do as jetcat, i machine the spacer to get no more than 55 lb break away. Unless your going racing with a V8 that's all you need. The way a Posi works is sometimes misunderstood. Read Carol Shelbys chapter about the posi in his book Engineering to win. Better yet read the whole book. Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.