Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FC powerglide code help needed
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 08, 2019 02:53AM

Although I seemed to stump all the Corvair powertrain gurus with my previous question about '62 manual transmission codes, might someone be able to help with some powerglide questions? . . .

1) Can anyone post pictures of codes stamped on an early powerglide transmission, which reportedly are on the "right hand side of casting and middle pan mounting boss"?

2) Can anyone explain the powerglide "ZE" and "ZF" type codes listed in this snippet from a '64 GM document.

I have only seen transmission codes consisting of source and date codes (such as "R0305"), but not with "type code" letters. I believe these transmission part numbers are actually for transmission/differential assemblies, but I've not seen a list of type codes for those either.

3) Does anyone know if differentials were delivered to the assembly lines preassembled with the powerglide but not with manual transmissions? I ask because my FC assembly manuals show separate part numbers for manual transmissions and their associated differential, but only part numbers for combined powerglide-differential assemblies.

Thanks for any help.
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC powerglide code help needed
Posted by: Black Widow ()
Date: September 10, 2019 03:36PM

Steve, I have a loose PG that I've been examining for this code, so that I can more easily find it on the installed ones, but I'm having trouble locating it. Can you clarify it's location on the housing?

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 10, 2019 03:55PM

Will,
See below.
Steve

Attachments:
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 12, 2019 09:33AM

Interestingly my 1964 FC OEM Powerglide has no numbers stamped there or anywhere on it's case. However my other PG's have the number stamped on the Right hand side of the casting's as indicated.

My guess is someone got lazy on the assembly line!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 12, 2019 10:23AM

I know that at least one of my current PG's has a number there, and recall taking a pic of it....trying to find it now, otherwise, I'll crawl under the cars tonight.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 12, 2019 10:28AM

Ok - I was wrong...it has a number, but appears to be a partial VIN.

19W705366 (from a '69, and not in the registry?)

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.