Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rampside Prices
Posted by: smithleej ()
Date: September 07, 2019 02:46PM

Its so discouraging to see that the selling prices on the Rampside are so low. A real nice one just sold on EBAY for a little of $10K. Everywhere I go with my 1962 Rampside, people just love it and think its a great vehicle. As a unique, well loved and scarce vehicle, you would think the price would be a bit higher, yet it appears to be going down or staying flat at best. Oh well. Thanks for listening.

Lee Smith
Purcellville, VA
1962 Rampside

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rampside Prices
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 07, 2019 02:48PM

Lee... you're missing most sales....all time highs... $70k $44 k and many $15k

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Spyderman64 ()
Date: September 07, 2019 04:02PM

I like having Corvair prices relatively low. When cars get too valuable people become afraid to drive them. How many Shelby Cobras or Hemicudas do you see being used like real cars?

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: September 07, 2019 05:51PM

smithleej Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its so discouraging to see that the selling prices on the Rampside are so low. A real nice one just sold on EBAY for a little of $10K. Everywhere I go with my 1962 Rampside, people just love it and think its a great vehicle. As a unique, well loved and scarce vehicle, you would think the price would be a bit higher, yet it appears to be going down or staying flat at best. Oh well. Thanks for listening.

Lee,

This I know is not a direct answer to your question. But I didn't get into the car hobby to make money. But the car hobby has made me a richer person.

Pardon my question, but why did you get into the Corvair hobby?

I got into it in 1969 because I needed reliable daily transportation and also wanted a fun, reasonably economical car. I got rid of my unreliable and expensive to maintain British sports car for a new 1969 Monza Coupe. I quickly found a new car club forming for Corvair owners in Southern California and joined immediately.

Today, after 5 decades - I still have a core group of friends I know from that first meeting of Corvair owners in Southern California.

That 50+ years of friendship is the most valuable thing I have received from my Corvair.

Personally, I am pleased Corvair $ values are reasonable. That has allowed me to meet a huge number of people who share a common interest with me. Without this common interest, I would never have met them.

Posted by: grubin ()
Date: September 07, 2019 05:57PM

Checkout bring a trailer completed auction In search box put corvair See prices and compare remember any car is only worth what someone is willing to psy

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: September 07, 2019 06:09PM

smithleej Wrote:
> Its so discouraging to see that the selling prices on the Rampside are so low. A real nice one just sold on EBAY for a little of $10K. Everywhere I go with my 1962 Rampside, people just love it and think its a great vehicle. As a unique, well loved and scarce vehicle, you would think the price would be a bit higher, yet it appears to be going down or staying flat at best. Oh well. Thanks for listening.

Lee,

Let me try a more direct answer to your question than my last post. The Corvair, in general is a niche vehicle. Unlike the Camaro or Chevelle and the like.

Remember a couple of Beach Boys songs? Or "Little G.T.O." by Ronnie and the Daytonas? Those songs power a lot of the nostalgia bidding up prices of cars from our youth.

At it's 4600 GVWR, it is not a big lifter: Even for it's time.

We can not modify the Corvair engine for huge power, compared to other cars. So it takes a special type of person to appreciate the Corvair 95 for its own special reasons.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 07, 2019 06:28PM

The auction fever from earlier this year is over.

As I predicted prices have steadily declined.

I am also happy about this as it's a hobby.

And a vairy affordable hobby at that.

Posted by: smithleej ()
Date: September 08, 2019 04:23AM

I am not concerned about the prices because I want to profit off of them, I have owned enough "classic" cars to know that making money from them aint going to happen! I just feel sad that the Corvair doesn't get more respect. I bought my Rampside as I fondly remember my Grandfather's Corvair van and always wanted one since then (mid 60's). Thanks for the notes....

Lee Smith
Purcellville, VA
1962 Rampside

Posted by: billh1963 ()
Date: September 08, 2019 09:02AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
> The auction fever from earlier this year is over.
>
> As I predicted prices have steadily declined.
>
> I am also happy about this as it's a hobby.
>
> And a vairy affordable hobby at that.

Hagerty just published their latest magazine and the whole issue is devoted to the Monterrey auction and the weakening collector car market.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1964 Monza Spyder
1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Canadian Monza 140 (Corsa Clone)
1965 Corsa 140
1969 Monza 110-PG
Right in the middle of South Carolina

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 08, 2019 09:29AM

John
At it's 4600 GVWR, it is not a big lifter: Even for it's time

Not true! The FC has a 3/4 ton weight capacity. A full 1/4 ton more than the typical 1/2 ton pick up truck.

I surprised the local brick supplier when I picked up supplies for my brick mason, so he didn’t have to stop working, and the supplier loaded about 1200 pounds of mortar, etc through the side door of my van.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 09, 2019 05:43AM

Rampsides were high for a while. A local guy was selling a nice light blue one this year and thought the market was soft, I don't think he got what he wanted.

Corvair prices in general are hard to nail down, they're all over the place.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 09, 2019 10:28AM

To make money you have to spend money. A first class restoration is expensive even if the beginning vehicle is in good condition. You can't spend a fortune on a starting point and expect to come out. Restoration is not a very profitable business especially Corvairs. If it were, Barrett- Jackson would be flooded with them. There are plenty of cores out there to start with. The only Corvairs bringing big bucks are the rare ones and unusual ones. This crap about Patina is just an excuse for not doing a proper restoration to factory stock appearance and performance. These cars don't usually get a second glance. I have a fully restored Rampside that draws more attention than my 308 Ferrari did. If it was rusty and clear coated over it wouldn't draw any attention. Proper color combination is essential too.

Date: September 09, 2019 11:09AM

I agree with the comment
about “patina.” I think it is just an excuse to be lazy. Junkyards are filled with patina, but they’re still junk.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 09, 2019 04:52PM

Hmmm. So I went out into my garage to evaluate my 62 Rampy.
I came up with something between Not for $ale and pricele$$!
tongue sticking out smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: slow61 ()
Date: September 09, 2019 05:06PM

irfgt Wrote:
> ... If it was rusty and clear coated over it wouldn't draw any attention.

I don't care for the patina trend, and if your talking attention from buyers you may be right, but I will say that I can't drive my 50 footer Lakewood anywhere without drawing attention. I don't have a Rampside, but I have to imagine it would be more intense.

Date: September 10, 2019 07:19AM

The patina thing is valid and has a place. It helps get people to come out with their average cars. Fixing up an old car is often more of a process than an event. I don't like folks who turn their noses up because someone's car isn't good enough. I'm not much for perfect cars at car shows or races and find myself more attracted to a work in progress, maybe to me there's just more to talk about. Just my opinion and I could be wrong. I'm sort of weird in a lot of ways, not just the Corvair thing.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: September 10, 2019 08:03AM

If everyone who owns an old car, Corvair or any other had to bring them up to show room condition to drive them it wouldn't much of a hobby. A lot of people can't afford the cost of a restoration paint job or just a average bodyshop one. I say do what you can and enjoy the ride.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 10, 2019 08:28AM

I have been to several all Corvair car shows and was almost ashamed to be seen there. It looked like a contest for the crappiest looking car there. There was stuff there I wouldn't take home if given to me.I don't know of any other car group that would display stuff like that. Flame me if you wish but it is the truth and others have noticed.

Date: September 10, 2019 08:53AM

I haven't seen much of that in the places I'm around. Maybe I'd think differently given another set of circumstances.

I get all different grades of Corvairs coming through here and I like to treat everyone the same.

Corvairs can be cheap to buy and expensive to fix. We have quite a range of enthusiasts.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 10, 2019 09:38AM

I’d never be ashamed to take ANY old car to a car show. The guys who show up in brand new Corvettes and Challengers — THEY should be ashamed!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.