Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bad Lifter?
Posted by: PSCJr ()
Date: September 07, 2019 12:14PM

A few weeks ago I was out for a drive in the Corvair and had a incident with oil splattered all over the engine compartment (pushed up through the dipstick tube after popping off the cap that was on it). After getting that all ironed out (proper PCV setup) and making sure I had the correct oil level I started it up and noticed a lot of clattering from the right side of the engine. Back up on jack stands for a valve adjustment. I took the cover off the right side and started the adjustment where I noticed that the pushrod on #5 exhaust almost has a spongy feel when I push on it. It doesn't have the solid feel of the others. I can push on the rocker and it pushes the rod in about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and it pushes back out to settle the rocker on the spring. Is this a bad lifter? Could my earlier incident with the oil splatter have caused this somehow? Wondering how much work I might have in front of me to clear this up.
-Paul

Paul
Farmington Hills, MI
65 Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad Lifter?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 07, 2019 12:51PM

Not necessarily a "Bad" lifter... just a "Flat" [ unfilled ] lifter...

Nothing to do with the Crank pressure / PCV problem.

If you don't want to "wait and see"

Pull the two rockers on that cylinder ONLY! then remove pushrods. [ keep in order! ]

13/16" Socket with end ground flat... Untorque them ONLY Torque on them is 30 ft. lb. when going back together

Pull plate and remove the ONE PR tube [ take inner O-ring off before pulling thru hole in head ].

Reach in and Pull lifter [www.ebay.com]

Before disassembling.... put lifter in cup of LIGHT oil... use a PR to pump the inner piston and see if it gets hard...

If not... clean and re-assemble and test again... lifters seldom go bad..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 07, 2019 03:56PM

Thanks. I'll have to try to get to that tomorrow. Right now I have a 9 year old's birthday to attend to.

Paul
Farmington Hills, MI
65 Monza Convertible

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 07, 2019 04:41PM

You are not that far from me, about an hr.

Before you do anything I would run the engine for at least 20 minutes. Then assess what you think needs done.

Everyone always wants to jump in right away when they hear a valve noise and do an adjustment when just running for a while will cure 90% of valve train noises.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 07, 2019 04:46PM

If that lifter was holding the valve open overnight or a long period it may have just bled down, did you turn the engine at all before you noticed this. If so it will probably pump up after some driving (better than idling)

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: September 08, 2019 06:03AM

Ken, I had noticed that side making some noise the last few times that I drove it so when this happened and it was much more noticeable I just decided to bite the bullet and do a valve adjustment and check things out. Since I have the valve covers off and I'm waiting on my shipment with new gaskets I figure I'll just go the few steps further and pull the lifter and take a look. I know I'm just asking for more trouble by doing this but I can't help myself.

Paul
Farmington Hills, MI
65 Monza Convertible

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 08, 2019 09:37AM

If you need parts quicker than ordering half way across the country give me a call. I have a full supply of mechanical parts and gaskets.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 09, 2019 04:57PM

If you remove it, definitely check that lifter. I have seen a couple that the retainer ring came out. The lifter stayed together but could not hold oil.

Corventure Dave

Date: September 10, 2019 06:02AM

I plan on removing the lifter.. sometime. Crazy week with the kids and all the school activities starting up so I'm not sure when I'll get back to it. Hopefully sometime this weekend. I'll make sure I check for the retainer, thanks.

Paul
Farmington Hills, MI
65 Monza Convertible

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.