Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Randomly will not run correctly
Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: September 07, 2019 10:16AM

I started my 61 to go to work this morning, and now it refuses to run. I have not changed anything.

Stopped at the bottom of the driveway and it stalled. I thought it was odd but figured it was just cold. I started it again with a little more choke. Got on the main road and I knew something was wrong. Loud chugging sound, strong small of gas, and gas was pouring out of the passenger carb. Could not go faster than 10mph. Got it back home.

I'm looking at the car now. The top screws were a little loose along with he hold down bolts. Tightening them did make a small difference. I then swapped the balance tube hose for that side. No difference. There does not seem to be a ton of gas pouring out any more.

These were rebuilt by Clark's... Original style manual choke.

Ideas? Drivers side is fine. Car was recently tuned up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Randomly will not run correctly
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 07, 2019 11:00AM

Stuck float needle. Probably from some trash in the fuel system. Since it quit flooding you may be ok with the carburetor but it could need plugs on that side and an oil change. If the air filter got wet you will need a new one.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2019 11:01AM by joelsplace.

Date: September 07, 2019 12:09PM

You were right Joel, took the top off. WOW. A few millimeters of gunk buildup with particles floating around. Drained it, cleaned it up. Runs better than it ever has before, the accelerator pump works correctly now too. No more dampness around the top. There's a little dampness in the fuel line nut threads, am I supposed to use sealant for that? Not the big nut, the small nut.

As soon as I cleaned it and put it back on, i cranked it for a few seconds to fill the bowl and then pumped the gas. Started quickly and easily. Idled great in neutral, put it in drive, ran great. Then I put it back in N and it bogged down, put it in D, still rough, back in N and it was fine again. I'll let it idle for a few minutes in N and D to clear out any last clogs, I'm guessing it got clogged there.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 07, 2019 12:57PM

And plugs were fouled!

NO sealant needed on aFlare Nut usually...

USE wrench to hold Filter / inlet nut when Tightening!

When all else fails... use a Copper SoftSeal Locals Flaps will have them!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 07, 2019 01:02PM

Took it on a quick drive. Better than before. No more bogging down after a stop. It seems to run more evenly and smoothly too. Ran it at 50, no issues (yet). Hope that's all it was. The driver's carb is getting cleaned tomorrow, don't want that to surprise me one morning.

The pass carb nut seems fine after a drive. I tightened it a little more before leaving. It's snug, not overly tight.

So, for now, solved.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 07, 2019 01:07PM

You need to think about where the junk came from and how to stop it. Clean the tank or add a filter. I would clean the tank or replace it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: September 07, 2019 01:13PM

The tank is new, carbs are new. The car sat for a while before the PO bought it. He let it sit for years. I'm thinking the new ethanol gas ate at the inside of the fuel lines and old tank, then loosened it up. Then he installed the new carbs and tank, and now gunk.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 07, 2019 01:28PM

Nothing an inline filter won't stop! Behind left rear tire..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.