Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Black Carpet Dye
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 06, 2019 12:12PM

I've got a car with nice black carpets that are faded in some areas, I suppose from the sun.
I'm changing it from a PG to a Manual and switching the instrument panel so it's a convenient time to remove the carpets.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a carpet dye that will dry and not do something unspeakable like track in the house or ruin my white shoes?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black Carpet Dye
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 06, 2019 01:57PM

SEM

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 06, 2019 03:55PM

RIT Dye with water in a spray bottle. No need to pull the carpets.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 07, 2019 09:27AM

I've used RIT years ago. Never remember a problem with tracking it after it dries.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 08, 2019 10:54AM

I have some GM black carpet dye, if I can find it. If not, then SEM is the next best thing to use. You should vacuum out the carpet before you remove it, and then once it is out, beat it gently while it is hanging from a clothes line to get the rest of the sand out. If you have a water carpet extractor, then use that with hot water to get as much of the dirt out as you can. Once you are satisfied that it is clean enough, then dye the carpet. Allow to dry, and give it a second treatment to eliminate any spots that might be lighter than the rest. Properly done, it will look by new. I have done a few, but in the end, it was more work than just buying new carpet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.