Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T. RE: Upcoming California Diesel regulationsthumbs down
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 05, 2019 02:18PM

[ww2.arb.ca.gov]

It appears there may be a whole lot of great deals on Diesel Trucks in California very soon, for out of state buyers.

Here is a cut and paste from what I read that leads me to think this way.

Senate Bill 1 (SB1)

On January 1, 2020 heavy-duty diesel vehicles that are not in compliance with the Truck & Bus regulation will be unable to register their vehicle with DMV.

The Truck and Bus regulation is necessary to meet federal attainment standards. This regulation requires heavy-duty diesel vehicles that operate in California to reduce toxic air contaminants (TACs) emissions from their exhaust. Diesel exhaust is responsible for 70% of the cancer risk from airborne toxics. Therefore, by January 1, 2023, nearly all trucks and buses will be required to have 2010 or newer model year engines to reduce particulate matter (PM) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. To help ensure that the benefits of this regulation are achieved, starting in 2020, only vehicles compliant with this regulation will be registered by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

In the event the moderators feel this is an inappropriate topic for this forum. Please feel free to delete it.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: O.T. RE: Upcoming California Diesel regulationsthumbs down
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 05, 2019 02:35PM

just to clarify Heavy duty are semi trucks not pickups, you might obviously know this.

I was under the impression that it is common practice to "update" high mileage semi's with newer powertrains.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 05, 2019 02:59PM

toms73novass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just to clarify Heavy duty are semi trucks not pickups, you might obviously know this.
>

I would imagine this would be subject to interpretation, and eventually would expand to include anything under one ton trucks and eventually passenger cars too.

FWIW, I hold a Class A CDL Driver's License but don't operate anything over one ton with any regularity.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 05, 2019 03:06PM

Light Trucks and passenger cars already have the lower limits... Big trucks are next..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jbyenko77 ()
Date: September 05, 2019 03:18PM

I have a 2004 F450 , looks like a pickup and cannot register it in california next year.

I have a shop truck, 2002 international 4300, medium duty flatbed, only 70000 miles, perfect condition and as of last week (aug 31) ,can't register it in california

so i have to either sell out of state, or register business and trucks out of state
what a waste of time and money

jeff ballard
Camarillo, CA

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 05, 2019 03:39PM

Recently been researching a ten car auto transport.

From SLO to SD for the Corsa Convention next year.

So we can get our clubs cars down there as a group.

The answer more often than not has been no thanks.

Because their rigs are not CARB compliant now.

They say we are about five years away from.

Dropping their trailers at the state line.

To be picked up by an electric tow rig.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: September 05, 2019 03:53PM

Light and medium duty trucks are not effected by this law. Unless they come up with diesel emission testing. Worked in lower CA and there was no diesel testing. In the Denver area all diesel vehicles had to pass a dyno run smoke test and if the check engine light was on it was a fail. Plus they had to pass a visual. Live in Idaho now and while there are no tests I cringe when I see people selling their cat systems when they are pulled from the trucks. Remember going to the 6.7 powerstroke training and I think new cats with DEF equipment was like 8K to replace. Keep all your emissions equipment. You never know when you might need it.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
2004 F350 work truck
2004 Cayenne Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 05, 2019 03:58PM

MattNall Wrote:
> Light Trucks and passenger cars already have the lower limits... Big trucks are next..

Matt is correct. The big commercial diesel vehicles have been put on notice for many years that this was coming and many are already in compliance. The main fix was to go to natural gas since converting a diesel engine with it's high compression yields better results vs. converting a gasoline engine - at least that's what the conversion places claim. Instead of overhauling, or replacing a diesel engine, companies started converting engines to natural gas. An added bonus is natural gas is less expensive per mile of operation and engines last longer, oil stays cleaner. Nothing like saving money to convince companies to change.

The buses, trash trucks, port shipping trucks in L.A. county started converting years ago to save money and clean up the air. It's much nicer to follow a natural gas powered bus since it is quieter and DOES NOT STINK!!

BTW -- the U.S.A was the largest producer of natural gas in 2018.

Date: September 05, 2019 06:35PM

But...municipalities all over the state are banning natural gas in new homes.

Where will the electricity come from...natural gas fired power generation plants.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: September 05, 2019 07:38PM

OT, too: I heard in the news that California was banning trapping. [thehill.com]

What regulation/ban will be next? Procreation?

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: September 05, 2019 08:39PM

Obviously stupidity is waaaaay down the line still! eye rolling smiley Mike

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: September 05, 2019 10:12PM

A little off topic but not in some ways... Just returned from an awesome trip to Montana to the Glacier National Park! Most of the Diesel pick ups must have had mods [chips,etc] because they would smoke surprisingly bad from stops! I had to wait for it to dissipate to proceed! No kidding! I would think Montana would have similar laws to keep the air clean[er] !

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: September 05, 2019 10:20PM

Nope, Montana is diesel exempt. At least when they roll coal NoX is low but particulates are disgusting! I think some states allow law enforcement to ticket.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
2004 F350 work truck
2004 Cayenne Turbo

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: September 06, 2019 12:13AM

flamingchariots said: What regulation/ban will be next? Procreation?

only if you're a conservative smiling smiley

Date: September 06, 2019 06:05AM

nirvairna Wrote:
> flamingchariots said: What regulation/ban will be next? Procreation?
>
> only if you're a conservative smiling smiley

That's no joke in this state.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 06, 2019 07:57AM

Looks like lot of Out of State trucks will be coming into the state with this regulation. Probably even some from Mexico. I suppose they are all "cleaner"!

It's all Ok tho. Their banning drinking straws here in Kalyphornia too. So now we have to put our lips on a glass that at least 4 people have handled before it makes it to the table.

Sure have to put up with a lot on nonsense. Just so I can still mow my lawn in the dead of winter!winking smiley

Corventure Dave

Date: September 06, 2019 08:03AM

This just in...people who use plastic straws and eat burgers cause global warming.

I think I'll go have burgers for breakfast and ask for a plastic straw right now. smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 08:07AM by Phil Dally.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 06, 2019 02:24PM

So now we have to put our lips on a glass that at least 4 people have handled before it makes it to the table.

Life too short to worry about this. I never use a straw. Never liked them. Like the feel of CO2 bubbles on my nose. And I ask for lemons to go into tea and water!grinning smiley

If I was worried about a dirty glass, I would choose a better place to eat!eye popping smiley

Eat a little dirt and build up your antibodies.grinning smiley We do work on Corvairs with all sorts of crap in them! thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 06, 2019 02:59PM

I like to make sure there is a little alcohol is the glass, just to kill the pesky germs.hot smiley

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: September 06, 2019 03:16PM

I've been thinking about getting a truck around 2002 with a 7.3. Might be a good place to get one although a long haul coast to coast. No rules yet in SC.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.