Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Convertible Top Difference
Posted by: vaporloc ()
Date: August 20, 2019 10:40AM

Hi Ya'all'
I did do a search but as I once mentioned, my computer skills are humble at best. Found nothing. I saw a thread here where someone was selling a power convertible top. I never knew there is a difference? I bought the best convertible white top complete kit clarks sales for my 65 corsa 140 convertible. Now it does have a power top. I don't thin k I seen any difference in the catalog.
Next the top shops in Memphis quoted me $3000.00 to install it. WOW. Told me once the old one is removed the top frame will be bent? HOW? with the old worn out top now, it comes up and sits perfect on the windshield. SNAP,SNAP not having to pull on it like my 66 corsa turbo convertible. Have to pull it forward to SNAP SNAP.
Is there any video's on u tube to put one on yourself? All I found was how to put one on MG type cars. I live in Pittsburgh pa now, hav'nt priced it here yet. Thanks folks; Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Convertible Top Difference
Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: August 20, 2019 11:15AM

Oh wow... I got a price for $400 anything more and I would have attempted to do it myself. From what I have read it's not hard just takes time and little sun to get the top.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 20, 2019 12:35PM

It is a major job. I've only done one with the help of a friend in the upholstery business and it took a solid 12 hours. $400 sounds like a bargain.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: August 20, 2019 12:42PM

As far as the top materials are concerned, there are no differences. The cables that go on the sides of the top frame to keep it taunt were originally different. Not sure if the variants are available or it they really make a difference of there was a change from 65 through 69 that made it obsolete, but I have pulled specific side cables off of power tops and found them to be different from manuals.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 20, 2019 12:47PM

vaporloc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw a thread here where someone was selling a power convertible top.

I saw that for sale ad too and asked about it. The seller commented that there is no difference but that he goofed up and couldn't fix the tile once the time to edit had expired.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 20, 2019 01:19PM

I installed a JC Whitney top in the late 70s with the help of my BIL. We did his 65 Vette about the same time. It is very doable with a good helper, plan on a good part of a weekend. Both jobs came out very well and lasted longer than the factory.

Last winter I decided to pay to have it done. I went to Rayco in Allentown Pa. it was about $1400, that included a new vinyl top, tan inside and out, (slight upcharge for that). Also an new well, well pad, new plastic window with HD brass zipper and both new side pads. It did not include any rubber seals window seals. Pretty happy with the job, but I don't see that it was any better than when I did it myself.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 20, 2019 04:37PM

Not an easy job. I have installed Late and Early tops myself with a helper. It took about 10 hours each to get them to fit right. The challenge is proper tight fit when up and more challenging is no puckers when locked up in place. Any puckering looks like a back yard job!

An installer has no idea what condition the bow's or pads are in. There is also the staple retaining strips. Finally 50+ years old and possible rust.... that can be scary!

One has to consider all this when getting an installation quote.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.