Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LS valve springs on an 80hp
Posted by: studevair ()
Date: August 19, 2019 12:10PM

I had read on a previous thread of someone on here using Chevy LS v8 valve springs on a 140 or 110 engine to replace his old valve springs but I have an 80hp car engine in my Greenbrier, can I use these springs or will I have to machine them as my factory springs are a single spring with no damper. If not is there a spring from the Local parts store that will work?

Patrick P.
Niagara Falls NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LS valve springs on an 80hp
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 19, 2019 12:15PM

Early Chevy 265/283 springs!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: August 22, 2019 07:11AM

There is a Mitsubishi EVO spring that will fit without modification. 1.5" installed height is the tricky part with springs that fit the pocket. You don't want it to bind or create crazy spring pressures at 1.12" compression because it will wipe out your cam. Other springs I have found need a different cap that don't fit the stock valve without machining. In some ways it is easier to use the stock springs because these will actually work with a stock 102 or 150 cam. Just make sure they are not used springs.

Crawford Rose

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: August 22, 2019 10:00AM

I'd suggest finding some stock-type valve springs. LS springs really put the stress on the cam gear. sad smiley Not sure if it was the valve springs or the aggressive ramps on the camshaft but this lasted less than 3000 miles.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: chris ()
Date: August 22, 2019 07:09PM

Dang Craig, was that one of yours?

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 23, 2019 10:22AM

Years ago I asked the place that did my heads about Corvair valve springs vs. the SBC (283 Chevy) springs. They had a valve spring tester and while the SBC springs are rated a nearly the same open/close tension in the V8, in the Corvair engine they are compressed more so per the Corvair eng. spec. their tension is higher vs. the original Corvair valve spring.

The Covair stock replacement spring is easier on the cam, BUT not recommended for use over 5,000 RPM do to the possibility of valve float or valve bounce documented in numerous articles over the years. Keeping an engine under 5,000 RPM is not an issue for most of us.

A higher tension valve spring allows higher RPM operation, especially on a more aggressive cam, but increases the chance of cam wear/failure.

80HP engine - I'd go with the stock springs.

Posted by: studevair ()
Date: August 23, 2019 08:12PM

So it sound like I want to stay with stock springs, are the 64-69 springs the same spring but with a damper in them and can I use these with my 61-63 80hp? does anyone know the sealed power part number for the stock 80hp single springs?

Patrick P.
Niagara Falls NY

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: August 24, 2019 02:45PM

The best thing you can do with Behive springs is not use them. Remember when one lobe is pushing up against that spring another spring is pushing down on another lobe off setting the load.Going up on the spring rate wont cause cam gear failure.
Mike

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: August 24, 2019 04:58PM

[www.aapt.org]

REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THE 2019 F=MA EXAM!
Too late, darn!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2019 05:00PM by Max Roeder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.