Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair camshaft
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: August 16, 2019 06:13PM

One would think a Corvair camshaft would very rarely wear out because it is almost completely submerged in engine oil ? just thinkingconfused smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair camshaft
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 16, 2019 06:19PM

Makes sense to me! And you seldom hear of one.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: August 16, 2019 07:46PM

If they wear out it is usually shortly after a rebuild if it was not properly lubed during assembly.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: August 16, 2019 08:22PM

Doesn't the "tray" in the block that is below the cam have 3 drain holes in it?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: August 16, 2019 10:24PM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doesn't the "tray" in the block that is below the cam have 3 drain holes in it?

Yes it does, but when the oil level is at the "full" mark, the lifters are 2/3 covered in oil, and the tray is submerged... the cam is literally swimming in oil if the level is up to the "full" mark.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 17, 2019 12:11AM

But yet, it does happen!

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 17, 2019 08:14PM

Kevin
the cam is literally swimming in oil if the level is up to the "full" mark.

Well, there you go, an explanation.

Back in the late 60s and through the 70s, what Corvair had oil at the full mark? Common suggestion back then was to run it a 1/2 quart low since the o-rings were leaking, along with the other 100 leak points! Remember, it was just a cheap used car then.....eye popping smiley

So, 1/2 quart low as max oil level, and then one would let it drop a full quart (below ADD) before adding a quart.....sad smiley Oil came is non-resealable cardboard or metal quarts back then.....

Late model engine compartments held lots more empty quart containers than early models....grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: August 17, 2019 11:50PM

Who still has their collection of different brand oil can spouts/dispensers?
Still have a favorite?grinning smiley

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2019 11:50PM by CoCoCo.

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: August 18, 2019 04:58AM

I'm not sure which one is worse, wearing one out due to age or wearing one out due to improper break in procedures. With a trend of using higher pressure spring sets the possibility of developing a problem from improper break in goes up. Now I break in the higher loaded cams with the inner spring removed. Twenty minutes on the dynamometer very lightly loaded/ no load, engine stand or in the vehicle with moderate rpm changes from 1500-3000 rpm will give you the best service life, especially when using the high load springs.

[www.enginebuildermag.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 19, 2019 09:11AM

Max Roeder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure which one is worse, wearing one out due to age or wearing one out due to improper break in procedures. With a trend of using higher pressure spring sets the possibility of developing a problem from improper break in goes up. Now I break in the higher loaded cams with the inner spring removed. Twenty minutes on the dynamometer very lightly loaded/ no load, engine stand or in the vehicle with moderate rpm changes from 1500-3000 rpm will give you the best service life, especially when using the high load springs.
>
> [www.enginebuildermag.com]

Yes back in the 60's when Pontiac sold the HD engines (basically drag racing engines with sold lifters) and the cars were delivered with a placard in the the passenger compartment warning not to operate the engine above a relatively low RPM until a specified mileage. Then the owner would take the car to the dealer and low tension valve springs used to break in the cam shaft would be removed and high tension springs installed.

The reality was most of these engines were sold to professional racers who did there own break-in and changed the valve springs.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 19, 2019 10:50AM

My 64 Greenbrier, I have personally put over 300,000 miles on. The crank is standard - standard. The cam I switched just to go from 110 hp to 95 hp, but neither cam indicated unusual cam wear.
I change the Dyno 30wt oil about every 2500 miles.
Sooo… My thoughts are that as long as the oil levels are full and the oil is clean and changed often, and the circulation is not interrupted, the wear factor is at least minimal.

I used to have a Uncle in the oil business. I learned a few things like, oil burns at a lower temperature than Corvair engines run naturally. So changing the oil before it breaks down and burns is a good idea. I chose 2500 miles.
In fact I posted a picture here somewhere the valvetrain in my Brier's engine after 128,000 miles. The aluminum heads were just slightly yellowed.

Over decades Corvair engines have been neglected and abused by others. Once damage and wear starts, there is trouble down the road!

So, for what ever that's worth... that's my 2 cents.

Corventure Dace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.