Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Late model 500
Posted by: 1967vair500 ()
Date: August 16, 2019 04:48PM

Does anyone know why I never see late model 500s?
I know the 500 models had the highest production numbers but I feel like they’re the hardest to find now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Late model 500
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 16, 2019 04:50PM

They weren't taken care of or valued so lots of them were crushed.
They are on here all the time. Not uncommon but uncommon compared to how many were made.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: August 16, 2019 05:24PM

In my opinion, number one
reason you don't see a lot of
500 models is the stupid rubber
floor mats. The floor mats retain
water, moisture and they tend to
rust out the floorboards badly.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 16, 2019 05:33PM

It has to do with attrition rates. Most people want high-line cars. The 500's were considered by the vast majority to be only good as a base for a custom car or as a beater, and most 500's don't even make good donor cars, as they usually don't have many desirable options and parts, just the common ones that everybody has.

One of the exceptions to the normal attrition rates is the '69 500. It is my perception that many more survived than is normal due to the fact that, when they announced the end of the Corvair production on May 12th of 1969 (just two days before the actual end of production), many of the dealers only had 500's in stock. Earlier buyers had bought up the majority of Monzas and had proceeded to drive them as everyday cars. The late buyers were left with 500's, so they tended to preserve whatever they were able to buy - which were the leftover 500's. Still, the desirable cars are and will always be the high-line cars, hence the generally lower survival rate of the 500's. But they ARE out there.

-Mark P.S Here's just one beauty that showed up at this year's convention. There wee plenty more, though.

Attachments:
Date: August 16, 2019 05:36PM

How right you are, Dan. Over the years, I've seen more 500's with terminal rust because of it. How unfortunate, for we are all losers because of it.

-Mark

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 16, 2019 05:46PM

I own one...pictured.

Here's one on Craigslist.

[inlandempire.craigslist.org]

Attachments:
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 16, 2019 05:52PM

P/M me about the C/L 500.

I have information on it.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: August 16, 2019 06:26PM

Phil has the ultimate 500. They are seriously cool cars. The ultimate joy of a Corvair in stock form.

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: August 16, 2019 10:32PM

Well I just happen to have a very original, low mileage and well optioned 1965 500 2dr coupe available for sale if anyone happens to be interested??? I'll be listing it here on the forum in the next couple of days. Stay tuned!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 10:33PM by Gatorfly.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 17, 2019 06:38AM

My first car was a 1963 500 PG Coupe and an AM Radio. No other options. It was Black with a Red interior.
I sold it and bought my first '65 Corsa 140 convertible that I drove through high school.
Several years later I was able to purchase the '63 back and had plans for it. Circumstances changed and I lost my storage for it at a time I had no other real options so I let the car go.
In the past several years I have been looking for another as close to it as possible. I saw one on flea bay about six years ago but didn't have adequate disposable funds at the time to go after it.
While it is not an ideal time for me to purchase another, I am still looking. If the right car were to present it's self, I might need to make it happen.

P.S.
I did at one point, have a 1966 500 coupe. I bought it because it was affordable and had nice options like fast steering, HD suspension, and a 140 with a three speed.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2019 06:40AM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 17, 2019 12:56PM

My first car was a 67 500 coupe 110HP 3 speed. Fun, reliable, cheap (to buy) were the words that best describe it.
I currently have a 64 500 coupe as well as a (decent) 69 500 PG.

Date: August 18, 2019 05:41AM

I have owned a number of 500's, all beaters. Most of them I got because they had some interesting options, air, posi, 140/automatic, things like that. Got them usually only because they ran counter to most 500's in that they DID have some worthwhile options. Thus they were mostly parts cars and only on occasion did they serve as transportation.

But I once did have one transportation 500 beater that had zero options on it. It was a '67 coupe, and like every '67 I've owned, ran so well, I had to drive it. But it was so rusty that one time in the dead of winter, I was moving it around in my parking spot in back of the house, and was rowing from first to reverse and back. I had first, then reverse, then first, then reverse, then I had the shift lever in my hand. eye popping smiley It had rusted so bad that the shift tower broke in half. So I jammed it back into the floor, stirred it around, and got the car located where I wanted it.

I later got my friend Mike to help change out the shifter, in below zero weather, lying in half a foot of snow under the car. We could only stand working on it for about 15 minutes at a time, then had to come inside and warm up. Oh the fun with beater cars.

-Mark

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 18, 2019 10:31PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have owned a number of 500's, all beaters. Most of them I got because they had some interesting options, air, posi, 140/automatic, things like that. Got them usually only because they ran counter to most 500's in that they DID have some worthwhile options. Thus they were mostly parts cars and only on occasion did they serve as transportation.
. . . . . . .
>
> -Mark

Well 1967vair500, there you go!
You asked, "Does anyone know why I never see late model 500s?"
And Mark has answered the question.
Blame it ALL on Mark.
He parted them ALL OUT ! ! ! grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - Sale pending
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: August 19, 2019 04:28AM

I only part out rust buckets and 2 doors to save 4 doors. I'm saving a 4 door right now. It's in the body shop.

But it's an uphill battle, what with all the 2 doors I have to part out in order to save a 4 door. hot smiley

Four doors rule! grinning smiley

-Mark

Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 10:01AM

I have a rust free 67 500 110 pg. People love the clean look of the car. The nice thing about a 500 is its an open canvas if you want to make it your own.

Ron62
1967 500 Coupe 110 PG
Residing in Massachusetts.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 10:08AM

My (former) 1966 500, sold a couple of years ago. Had 19,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1998, and not much more more when I sold it. It went to both the Lexington and Buffalo conventions (on a trailer) and participated in the road rally and car display at both.

Attachments:
Posted by: dvrpd ()
Date: August 19, 2019 12:31PM

Here is my 1968 500. 95 hp 4 speed Dave

Dave
68 500
Olmsted Township, Ohio

Attachments:
Date: August 19, 2019 03:54PM

Here is a pic of my 67 500 . Still working on her a bit but overall shes a beauty !!

Ron62
1967 500 Coupe 110 PG
Residing in Massachusetts.

Attachments:
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: August 19, 2019 04:09PM

eye popping smiley Wow that is a beaut!! Wished I had a local filling station up the street instead of a big QT station.eye rolling smiley Mike

Date: August 20, 2019 04:33AM

Mike,
It was actually about an hour away from me in New Hampshire. Took the vair on a day trip and came across this place. Far and few between these days.,

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.