Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Ethanol in gas
Posted by: mark60609 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 08:56AM

OK! Thanks to all who responded to my question about leaded gas. Now, what about ethanol? I have been putting ethanol-free gas in my car because I have been told that it is not good for the carbs/engine. Is that correct?

Mark
'64 Monza Coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ethanol in gas
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 14, 2019 09:35AM

Everyone in our club has been running 15% ethanol gasoline for many years and the carbs and fuel lines are fine. Of course you have to use flexible fuel line that is rated for ethanol (yes they still sell the cheapy stuff they will dissolve). I've had great luck with GATES Barricade fuel hose - they make a low pressure version for carburetor cars, or you can spend more on the fuel injection rated hose. Folks are also using the Viton accelerator cups as the old style seem to get hard and stop working after a few years. Time will tell if the new Viton work better.

My favorite story is a buddy with a 38 Packard who got panicked by the ethanol stories and he dropped his gas tank, removed the carburetor and took it apart. Everything was fine - no corrosion, no debris. I did help him install an electric pump to prime the carburetor because unleaded gasoline does evaporate faster (even non-ethanol gasoline).

Finally - even before unleaded fuel and ethanol - letting a car sit for a long time with fuel in the system caused problems. Six months is considered the longest for gasoline to sit after which it should not be used even when using a preservative like Sta-Bil. Also condensation causes rust in open systems and is not a ethanol issue. Small aircraft fuel has no ethanol and water in the fuel has always been an issue due to tank condensation - and why a good pilot fills the tank(s) at the end of the day to reduce air in the tank(s).

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 14, 2019 09:36AM

Daily driver, 10% ethanol is fine.

Car that sits for long periods, non-ethenol is great!

Sitting is what causes the ethanol to destruct parts inside the fuel system. Especially the tendency for the alcohol to absorb moisture and rust steel parts. If it flows thorough, like a daily driver, the alcohol does not have time to abosrob water and cause damage.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 14, 2019 10:59AM

That's the secret! DRIVE them often! Not start and idle... Take a 15 minute drive!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ken ()
Date: August 14, 2019 01:02PM

Well, I thought 10% was OK but it was not . It softened my accelerator pump rubbers and turned stuff green . O/H , cleaned them and and installed ethanol comparable rubbers in acel pumps . Now I pay a little extra and use ethanol free gas .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.